TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wow - this is what it feels like to own a Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by phaduman, Oct 19, 2016.

1. phaduman

phaduman Member

I haven't stopped smiling since wife and I went for the delivery at the factory yesterday afternoon and drove off with our S75D White with Black Next-Gen/AP/SZ/Pano (owned a BMW 5-series for lat 7yrs). Wife said hasn't seen me this happy since our wedding (lol - that was 17yrs ago). Dropped it off for Paint Protection & Tinting this morning and having separation anxiety. He said to leave it overnight for curing the new film. Which parent will leave their new-born baby with someone else overnight? I need tomorrow to come now!

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 3
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Congrats! Driving a Tesla is like "driving the future", but we get to do it today. :cool:

• Like x 2
  3. scottm

scottm Active Member

Watch the car on your App. They wanted it overnight for maybe other reasons. Film can go out the door the same day.

• Like x 1
  4. phaduman

phaduman Member

Good point. I have the app now and see that it is still on the parking lot, not "in" shop yet. So will likely be done this aft and stay. I have recorded miles!

@ecarfan : so true! Quotes from my 10yr old from the backseat "we are not in 2016 anymore, but in 2106", and another one..."Dad! Don't forget your driving now".

5. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Congratulations!! NO other car on this earth can make me smile like my S!
    I had a loaner for the past 6 days and while it was cool to drive an original S for the weekend, I was really missing "the Pope" . Separation anxiety is all too real :mad:

• Funny x 2
  6. ND100

ND100 Member

Did your car come with the new camera array, or the older single camera housing?

7. one5n1neSDoo

one5n1neSDoo Member

How did you feel after 5PM PDT today?

• Disagree x 1
  8. phaduman

phaduman Member

nope, single camera (well if you count the backup camera, we all got 2 cameras :)).

9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Yep, pretty much.

You pick up the car, and it's wonderful.

Then that night it's suddenly made obsolete. :p

Regardless of how you feel it is what it's like.

10. phaduman

phaduman Member

it sucks! but I am weighing in on the whole thing:
    (1) I am not alone in this. A whole bunch of us are feeling that we got left out.
    (2) didn't see any plans from Tesla to retrofit at least the NVidia h/w into gen-1 AP cars to utilize existing 1-camera, 1-radar and the ultrasonic sensors but the newer s/w. This would streamline all s/w dev into a single platform for Tesla (instead of continuing to support both mobileye and NVidia chipsets).
    (3) but, looks like Tesla will charge more for Level-3 autonomy ($4K?) and $8K for full autonomy (in 2018 tesla year, likely 2019). May be time would be ripe for an upgrade.

I am actually pretty good on the pricing side. Got the car with $15K below list (my CA rebate is going off - income bracket + $10K off list that I got for this car which had 9miles in it) - and paid $2.5K for level-2 AP. I would think I am good for the next 3yrs. Perhaps level-5 autonomy is good for cars that you don't feel like driving and model S shouldn't be treated that way (lol)

11. hmmm

hmmm Member

I usually put my car in valet mode whenever it needs to go to a shop other that a Tesla Service Center. Maybe a bit paranoid, but I would rather have folks think I am a jerk than have to deal with insurance claims...

12. outie

outie Active Member

Congratulations! Glad to see you are quite positive about the AP2 announcement. Enjoy the car while they iron out the AP2 features.

13. jq595

jq595 Member

Congrats on your car . I am thinking about paint protection and tinting to. How much you paid for both ?

14. phaduman

phaduman Member

Full front with Suntek, and all windows tinting with Suntek Ceramic, all for $1,500 out the door. Haven't seen it in action yet - another 4-5hrs. Message me and I can share the contact (after I like what I see).

15. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Congratulations. I got delivery of my car about 6 weeks ago. No regrets. This is how it will always feel with Tesla no matter when you pull the trigger.

I'm glad that I still have an M3 reservation though :)

16. 787steve

787steve Member

I agree. My first thought was, and still is, that I wish I was two months later. But still, I have the finest car I have ever owned, and I am happy with what I paid for it. It is nice to know that in the future (age 66 now), when I start to question my driving skills, there will be options to allow us to still be independent and mobile. For now, I love driving this beauty just as it is. AP1, and all.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. 787steve

787steve Member

And as a new Tesla owner, I am excited about the announcement for another reason. I have already had the Nav system use some,,,,,,,"interesting" guidance. (Took me three blocks out of the way just to bring me back to the original road 100 yds further on to continue my trip). I am assuming the autodriving car will have these things worked out, and that should certainly be retro to my beauty.

And the one thing this car screams out for is a HUD. The more automation you have, the more significant a HUD can be, as it gives you info in your field of view of what the car is doing, and why. I think I will be looking at upgrading after that comes along.

18. LosAngelesDude

Congrats!! I will get my car in Jan. Could you please share what you are doing with paint protection and tinting? Please let me know whether you will recommend them.

19. Science fan

Science fan Member

#19 Science fan, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Get used to the smile. It is going to be a permanent fixture. My S70 was delivered in June. No regrets re missing the upgraded "Auto Pilot" (I prefer the term "driver assist"). It will take a good while before the new system will be a fully functional, true auto pilot and I like driving mine with the two camera system it already has. My S70 will be mine until 2028, if my long range plan works out. At that time, I will likely be wanting a true auto pilot due to age, and Tesla will be selling me a self driving S200 that will be time tested. Lots and lots of miles to put on between now and then. I cannot imagine ever buying an ICE car again.

• Love x 1
  20. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

You'll find all other cars (except Teslas of course) seem quite out of date. And even with AP1(which I exclusively use on highways only...too fun driving the twisty roads) you'll be the best driver on the road.