TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog WSJ: Ambitious Autopilot Push Angered Tesla Engineers

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by TMC Staff, Aug 25, 2017.

1. TMC Staff

Tesla engineers are reportedly jumping ship because they don’t believe Autopilot 2.0 hardware can meet the fully self-driving promise that Elon Musk proudly touts. The Wall Street Journal says Sterling Anderson, previously the Autopilot director, decided to leave Tesla in December in part because he didn’t agree with the claims Musk was making about the...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Whoa - I think I just saw another eclipse!

Oh, no. Just a blinding flash of the obvious.

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Not sure I understand what you mean.

I'd be disheartened if I had paid for full autopilot. I can almost guarantee extensive litigation over the pre-pay for full autopilot scheme. No way I would pay for it if I were buying now. My AP1 works great however.

• Like x 2
  4. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

I mean it is obvious that's what was going on with the exodus - employees got disheartened by Elon's over-promises.

5. Mo City

Mo City Member

I think autopilot is the one area we can all agree Elon overpromises to the point of being a liar.

No excuse for it. No amount of rationalization can cover up the false statements.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. jgs

jgs Active Member

Indeed. The "full self-driving" thing was almost completely unbelievable from the moment the words left his lips, for all kinds of reasons. I'm willing to believe the AP2 hardware can do some great stuff. Full self-driving, meaning without limitations or caveats? No way.

• Like x 3
  7. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

He seems to me like the kind of person who lives in the world of the possible, rather than the real world. This has advantages, such as when he pushes and pokes at reality and is able to do amazing things.. it also has disadvantages such as overpromising and underdelivering on everything from delivery dates to feature capabilities.

While I'm not going to cancel my M3 pre-order... As an engineer with limited understanding of the technology challenges I've never really believed that full self driving was going to arrive in this generation of vehicle and would have to be a kind of an extreme optimist to pay $3000 up front for the tantalizing promise of future tech that might never arrive.

• Like x 5
  8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Even though you use the word 'reportedly', it would be great if you would clearly call this out as speculation with only one source (former employee) stating this to be true.

It's great to keep the forum balanced, but this writeup feels like it's pushing the spin.

• Like x 4
  9. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

As we recall, there was an incident of Sterling Anderson leaving under less than ideal circumstances and poaching engineers. That hardly fits the storyline of this article. I love the declarations of the impossible from people talking off the top of their heads /s. Churn is expected in Silicon Valley where landing into the right startup can make you a millionaire. Assigning motivations needs more than speculation.

• Like x 3
  10. Tam

Tam Active Member

My guess: If this is a speculation that has been multiplying in quite a few known and not well-known press outlets and forums, Tesla would promptly issue an official response.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That statement borders on hyperbole, and apparently is based on one person talking to the WSJ reporter.

I expect better from "TMC staff", whoever they are (I have no idea).

Anyone who wants my real name only has to ask.

• Like x 2
  12. Tam

Tam Active Member

I think un-named sources who even leak negative info have been constructive for both the public and Tesla.

The last controversy was the leaking of unfoldable second row seats of production-quality Model X and lower charging rate without choice.

The leakers kept the public informed and Tesla used that to revise the option for higher charging rate with an Easter Egg secret ordering page.

It's a win/win situation even when we think it's negative. So, think positive!

• Like x 2
  13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think it was more the click-baity nature of the TMC summary - certainly that was my issue. Just the thread title alone isn't accurate. One former engineer said that. And we don't know why he's 'former'.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

I think not even Musk believes his own FSD statements.
    And I guess it`s not much fun having your boss give such impossible promises when you`re the one who has to fulfill them....

• Like x 1
  15. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's only natural that those who can take the impossible challenge would stay and those can't take the heat might just want some other cooler place.

It comes with the territory.

16. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

One might argue it should no longer be an "impossible challenge" when you are taking people's money for it.

Some might leave for ethical considerations, in such a scenario.

• Like x 2
  17. conman

conman Member

Not sure on that. He's still responding to interviews in this last month saying he will demonstrate coast to coast FSD by the end of the year or early next year.

• Informative x 1
  18. AnxietyRanger

I wonder if it will be on AP2 or AP2.5. Has the goalpost moved or do they make a point of keeping the old ones?

Not that I don't think AP2 can't do it HW wise. I'm pretty sure it can - I worry more about its regulatory feasibility, but a coast to coast demo is not concerned with that...

19. mmd

mmd Active Member

The dissent was known for a while. CNN published an article on this soon after the first US death last July.
    Elon Musk's push for autopilot unnerves some Tesla employees
    The FSD part from Oct 2016 is new. Now we know AP2 and FSD wasn't anywhere ready when Tesla started taking $8k for FSD and promised delivery 'soon'. Taking money for non-existent stuff is not really called developing the cutting edge tech. The latter is more about doing. But Tesla gotta keep over promising and under delivering to keep the sales going.

Oh no! Not one more of the full self driving demo videos! BTW, Delphi did that in March 2015.
    Delphi completes first coast-to-coast automated drive | KurzweilAI

20. AnxietyRanger

All together now: quarterly demand levers...

Ethics be damned?

• Like x 1