Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile coming next week. Mine literally happened over night. Wasn't more than 80° so I wouldn't think that heat had anything to do with it.

No, I guess not. An overnight issue without high temperatures is hard to explain unless there is a seal to the air which can leak abruptly exposing the entire thing. If the glue is sensitive to oxidation it would not take much of a leak to allow oxygen to reach the entire display.

But then it doesn't really matter why. The issue is it should be covered under warranty.

My real concern is that when they fix it, they won't fix it with a unit that will not have the problem. Are brand new cars still seeing this issue?

Why would they have to use the same supplier? Apple doesn't even use the same supplier for the CPU and screen in every copy of the same model of phone. You use what is available, reasonably priced, and meets your specs.
Looking at the yellow bands on my IC and MCU, it either is the same supplier, or the same bad technology...

I don't get why people call it "yellow". Mine is clearly brown.

Pretty sure this is oxidization, and oxides like this can take on different shades from reddish to brownish to yellowish. Depends on the conditions.

... Personally, this really has done so much damage to the Tesla experience to me. And no, not as some fanboys are gonna chime in and say "because there's a little discoloration on my screen". (First of all, its not 'a little', second, it's a giant reflective -stain- on the main interface.)

What got to me is, **ninety days into ownership** I had the absolute main centerpiece of the interior deteriorate through no fault of my own, and Tesla **fought me tooth and nail** on it to say it wasn't their problem, and they WON.

I can't trust their intents anymore. I can't trust the warranty anymore. It's like I just bought a $90k car that isn't even a year old yet and it's already got no warranty, and for the purchase and leap of faith, Tesla has given me one giant middle finger and is yelling "Sucker!".

THAT is the issue. If they said "Well, we don't want to replace the screen because we're not sure if it's going to yellow again" - (though it seems petty clear the Ravens will not yellow, and that's the screen I 'purchased'...) it would have been different.

But no, they say "Not a warranty issue, not covered, wear item, you should expect this, shame on you for complaining and costing us time, money, and inconvenience!" - Tesla's lawyer tried to make ME look like the bad actor.

I used to get into my car every morning and go "Holy sh*t, I'm driving a Tesla."

Now, I get into my car every morning and my stomach turns. I see it as $70k of liability and bad decisions.

If I sold it at this point it'd be at a huge loss. But I'm sick of the whole experience and in the next 3.5 years of warranty who knows how much worse it's going to get. Who knows what other horrible adventures I have to look forward to, when something fails early and they say "nope, won't cover it."

Arbitration was a joke. "Customer did not provide a preponderance of evidence that this is a warranty issue." How the F*CK am I supposed to provide "evidence" that it's a "warranty issue"? All Tesla has to say is "Oh, it's like brakes. You gotta replace em." In what world is an LCD screen a consumable?? a 90-day consumable??

From what I know, I can't appeal the NCDS decision, it's final, and because of the arbitration agreements, I can't even do small claims court at this point.

This is disgusting and it all would have been avoidable by a part that probably costs them $200.

I hope *somehow* Tesla redeems themselves to me but I doubt it. The autopilot problems are continuing though, and I should probably just hold my nose and go through the stresses of the lemon law process and try to be done with it. But Ryan will probably win there, too.

Unwavering fanboys go ahead and do your "funny" ratings. Since delivery this car has been a constant dance with the service center and a struggle to get anything resolved. I'm sick of taking it on the chin because people think Elon is neato and exciting.

NCDS is binding on Tesla, not you. You can still file small claims.

I've been trying to sell my car - maybe that is a differentiator. People who have looked at it see the ugly screen and they hate it as much as I - it's the first thing they ask about. Even the Tesla lawyer could not refute there was a ding to its value. Maybe list your car for retail, get a couple of peeps to look at it, ask them for their honest evaluation. Tell them Tesla will not warranty the screen. Doesn't mean you have to sell short. Then with that documented go to small claims. The lawyers cannot refute that doc and say it didn't happen.

Or wait for the UV fix. For the midwest I'm not holding my breath. That will be months at best. Or take a road trip to someplace that has the machine. But I'd go the small claims route, if nothing else for future warranty. Obviously the defense will be "we have and have offered a UV treatment, the plaintiff just needs to be patient". And that might be a valid defense - I'm no lawyer. Thank God.

This is incredibly frustrating and unethical.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
Pretty sure this is oxidization, and oxides like this can take on different shades from reddish to brownish to yellowish. Depends on the conditions.

... Personally, this really has done so much damage to the Tesla experience to me. And no, not as some fanboys are gonna chime in and say "because there's a little discoloration on my screen". (First of all, its not 'a little', second, it's a giant reflective -stain- on the main interface.)

What got to me is, **ninety days into ownership** I had the absolute main centerpiece of the interior deteriorate through no fault of my own, and Tesla **fought me tooth and nail** on it to say it wasn't their problem, and they WON.

I can't trust their intents anymore. I can't trust the warranty anymore. It's like I just bought a $90k car that isn't even a year old yet and it's already got no warranty, and for the purchase and leap of faith, Tesla has given me one giant middle finger and is yelling "Sucker!".

THAT is the issue. If they said "Well, we don't want to replace the screen because we're not sure if it's going to yellow again" - (though it seems petty clear the Ravens will not yellow, and that's the screen I 'purchased'...) it would have been different.

But no, they say "Not a warranty issue, not covered, wear item, you should expect this, shame on you for complaining and costing us time, money, and inconvenience!" - Tesla's lawyer tried to make ME look like the bad actor.

I used to get into my car every morning and go "Holy sh*t, I'm driving a Tesla."

Now, I get into my car every morning and my stomach turns. I see it as $70k of liability and bad decisions.

The lack of good service has done the same thing for me, turned a nearly excellent owner experience into a distasteful experience. I get that Tesla is hurting for cash, but you have to draw the line somewhere and say, "we need to pay for this". When I got the car last year and took it in with a few problems including a triply cracked windshield from the defroster, they handled it well. I did have to put my food down to get them to pay for the windshield, but I didn't need to throw a tantrum or go to arbitration.

How exactly did you lose? You can just refer me to the post if you've talked about this before. I thought people were winning in arbitration.

Oh, in my case I paid more for this car than I've ever paid for a house.

If I sold it at this point it'd be at a huge loss. But I'm sick of the whole experience and in the next 3.5 years of warranty who knows how much worse it's going to get. Who knows what other horrible adventures I have to look forward to, when something fails early and they say "nope, won't cover it."

Arbitration was a joke. "Customer did not provide a preponderance of evidence that this is a warranty issue." How the F*CK am I supposed to provide "evidence" that it's a "warranty issue"? All Tesla has to say is "Oh, it's like brakes. You gotta replace em." In what world is an LCD screen a consumable?? a 90-day consumable??

From what I know, I can't appeal the NCDS decision, it's final, and because of the arbitration agreements, I can't even do small claims court at this point.

This is disgusting and it all would have been avoidable by a part that probably costs them $200.

You can still get the LCD replaced. It just has to fail some other way. Look up ESD simulator. ;)

I hope *somehow* Tesla redeems themselves to me but I doubt it. The autopilot problems are continuing though, and I should probably just hold my nose and go through the stresses of the lemon law process and try to be done with it. But Ryan will probably win there, too.

Unwavering fanboys go ahead and do your "funny" ratings. Since delivery this car has been a constant dance with the service center and a struggle to get anything resolved. I'm sick of taking it on the chin because people think Elon is neato and exciting.

Contact me personally if you want to. I'm not one for lying down and letting companies walk over me.

You have summed it up perfectly. I’ve been in constant struggle with service for the last 7 months, and I made a decision I am done. Got a nice trade in offer from Audi and will likely take it.

Fun fact, I went and drove the loaner they gave me yesterday a bit more around the city and highway to see if anything has been fixed since 2015. It’s a December 2018 75D with 4000 miles. Four thousand. On top of yellow screen, the car rattles like crazy. It has worse rattles than my 2015 with 46k miles. Going across a railroad crossing causes a center console rattle that sounds like metal pipes falling from third floor onto concrete pavement. My car has the exact same rattle for example. The glass roof rattles, the B pillar rattles. Awful.

An $80k car, at a minimum. Their build process is a complete dumpster obviously and hasn’t improved one bit. This is actually 4th new Model S I have tried in the last few weeks, and all of them were *sugar* with different kinds of build problems that I now notice easily after owning one. No one will tell you these details and if you are a first time owner, you can’t really notice it, but over time you do start noticing. And it drives me nuts. But fanboys will tell you it’s irrelevant somehow, you’re just here to bash Tesla for no reason. The service certainly won’t fix them for free ($150 “diagnostic fees”, aka $150 for a 5 minute test drive that “doesn’t reproduce anything”) - and in most cases with my car, they never fixed them. Screw that.

Another datapoint that blew my mind (I almost started laughing at technicians face when he was explaining): I took the car in for a clicking sound coming from the bottom of the driver’s seat. There are threads on TMC from 2015 where this was identified as a design issue with next gen seats and people’s seats were just replaced. Guess what, yesterday I got to hear about the “new process” where they will repro the noise, send some data to the “seat engineering team in California”, they will analyze it and tell them a few things to try. They will then do these and return the car to me. If I don’t come back, great. If I hear it again, I should schedule another appointment and come back. Repeat a few times (he didn’t say how many exactly), and if that does not work, they will order a new seat. He said that a new seat might take 3-6 months to arrive at that point. My only reaction was one big WTF. That’s a company that wants to “save the planet”? I call bullshit on that. Am I attacking them for no reason, huh? Rinse, repeat. Every time.

I wish I could tell you things will get better, but.... Get that lemon law going and hopefully you are out of this mess. I am so mad and disappointed.

Whoever is surprised that this yellow screen issue blew up, hasn’t been here long enough.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was at Plano service center this week. The advisor said they had tested the UV fix and he said it worked but it took more amps than you can use at your house so the mobile team would not be able to use it. He said they are working on a new version with lower amps as the mobile team using it is a must. No ETA but thought it was an interesting update

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Ken7
I was at Plano service center this week. The advisor said they had tested the UV fix and he said it worked but it took more amps than you can use at your house so the mobile team would not be able to use it. He said they are working on a new version with lower amps as the mobile team using it is a must. No ETA but thought it was an interesting update

"More amps"??? WTF??? Are you sure they aren't making x-rays instead? That takes some power. UV is duck soup. If they need a 240 volt outlet, most of us have that, no? lol Maybe they need to make one that plugs into the car. Is 400 kW enough power?

put a j1772 on it...

If only there was some company that had a lot of experience with putting batteries into automobiles...

• Love
Reactions: erik_k

The process is NOT binding on you. Only on Tesla.

In fact, if you don't like the verdict (which you shouldn't in this case), you can refile. The only requirement is new "evidence". So more context from other users, more details from calls to Tesla service centers, etc, would all count as new evidence.

• Informative
Reactions: MSVroomVroom
Add another loss for Tesla, I just won my arbitration case against them for this yellow screen border nonsense. I'd still like to know which idiot decided it would be best to treat customers this way. Needless to say, I live in Phoenix, and its always sunny here, so if I have to avoid the sun to drive my Tesla, I'm going to have to change my sleeping and working patterns.

"More amps"??? WTF??? Are you sure they aren't making x-rays instead? That takes some power. UV is duck soup. If they need a 240 volt outlet, most of us have that, no? lol Maybe they need to make one that plugs into the car. Is 400 kW enough power?

The only thing capable of producing the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity is a bolt of lightning.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
How can some lose and some win on the exact same issue? Isn't there a precedent or something that could be set?

This is the point of forced arbitration. It provides the manufacturer a way to avoid mass liability. Courts aren’t perfect, and engaging with the courts is expensive. Arbitration is relatively inexpensive. They win some and loose some - but they won’t loose huge sums of money all at once.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emmz0r