Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today Tom B from Support contacted me (after 6+ emails) confirming my cancelled Model 3 Order. I asked him about 2 issues, one was yellow screens fix. Responded to issue one, obut not to Yellow screens. Asked again. We'll see. I am an attorney and can set up a class action, if enough of you contact me with a detailed e-mail of your facts. At suzywoodrowathotmail.com

How can you file a class action when our agreement with Tesla precludes that unless you've opted out in writing within the 30 day period?

I don't believe the issue is "sunlight" as Tesla says. Mine happened all at once, not gradually since I bought the car. I expect it is more an issue with temperature. Park your car in the sun on a particularly hot day and you will see the brown. It may take a number of days for it to be more noticeable, but if the issue were sunlight you would see it change even in the winter.
I don’t think it’s heat either.

I had my car plugged in outside in the sun.

I decided 105 inside was too hot (had luggage in the car) so I set the temp manually from the app to 84.

Accidentally hit one higher “hi” and didn’t notice.

Came out to car an hour later and it was well over 130 inside. 208/30a j1772 wasn’t adding to the battery - charge was going down.

so far, no yellowing.

I don’t think it’s heat either.

I had my car plugged in outside in the sun.

I decided 105 inside was too hot (had luggage in the car) so I set the temp manually from the app to 84.

Accidentally hit one higher “hi” and didn’t notice.

Came out to car an hour later and it was well over 130 inside. 208/30a j1772 wasn’t adding to the battery - charge was going down.

so far, no yellowing.

130°F is nothing unusual for car interiors. Automotive temperature range for semiconductors is up to 125°C or 257°F!!!

Chemical changes are always a factor of temperature and time. So at 120°F it may take days or weeks while at 150°F it may take an hour.

This summer has been very hot here and we have had many very hot days here will little cloud cover. This could easily have been a factor. However any one example does not really prove anything.

I made appointments for mobile service using my app for both cars separately and said that based on legal/arbitration precedent, I need them to replace screens under warranty or goodwill, otherwise I'll go to arbitration and waste time and money. They texted me saying make an appointment at local SC and provided their direct number.
Please do keep us informed on what transpires!

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So I had immediate yellowing on both my S and X. They had previously denied any fix. I made appointments for mobile service using my app for both cars separately and said that based on legal/arbitration precedent, I need them to replace screens under warranty or goodwill, otherwise I'll go to arbitration and waste time and money. They texted me saying make an appointment at local SC and provided their direct number. Are they going to tell me to get lost, come in for this UV band-aid, or perhaps say "ok we'll swap screens"? Any definitive word on whether there's really a yellow-resistant new-generation screen?

FWIW, yesterday I was told by the GM in Springfield NJ SC, that “new” screens are not available

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I was told by the GM in Springfield NJ SC, that “new” screens are not available

This doesn't make sense to me. So every Raven being delivered today is going to have this problem in 12 to 18 months? Even if UV works that is completely illogical. But as some have suggested, maybe it isn't the screen but the curing of the glue that was improperly done? If so, the $64k question becomes "when did that procedure change?". We'll never know.

My SC is trying - they made an appointment for me on 9/12 - the 30th day post arbitration settlement. They said they honestly don't know if they will have a UV machine or not (as they are relatively low volume in Columbus, OH) but said "we'll fix it one way or another". And they still have Tesla loaners for warranty work. I really do like these guys - think I'm going to bring in donuts. :p

This doesn't make sense to me. So every Raven being delivered today is going to have this problem in 12 to 18 months? Even if UV works that is completely illogical.

FWIW I don’t believe one word they are saying... He also told me that the manufacturers of MCU and IC screens are different. How much sense does that make?

If anyone has the new screen part number, could you share it?

Because it's a Tesla that was spec'd with the lowest binning, cheapest parts available.

I, too, canceled my Model 3 order and will not be purchasing another Tesla until they get their collective sh!t together. I don't have a yellowing screen. I didn't lose range as a result of the 2019.16.1 #batterygate. However, I refuse to give one penny of my hard earned money to a company that refuses to acknowledge defects and doesn't do right by its customers.

Today's Tesla is totally opposite the Tesla of 2013, that bent over backwards to make me happy and ensure my vehicle was top notch at all times. I used to bring them donuts, pizza, bagels, whatever I could find to show my gratitude. I used to have the service manager's cell number and direct line of communication. Now I can barely get anyone's attention. It's very sad how Tesla has changed.

I used to be one of Tesla's biggest champions online and locally. Today I can't recommend them to anyone. I'm saving my pennies for a Mercedes EQE or EQS. Elon can keep his on-again/off-again so-called "free" superchargers.

Tesla is really screwing themselves with this nonsense. I get asked all the time about how like my Tesla. I used to tell people I love it. Now I tell them about how service has gone to crap and I wouldn't buy another one, at least not at this time. My negative review has probably cost Tesla a sale or two! Tesla is doing tremendous damage to its own brand.

Elon might be brilliant, but the man has no clue about human nature and perception. Tesla desperately needs someone else to run the company's day-to-day operations. Just about anybody with a pulse would have fixed this yellow-screen mess long ago.
#BringBackJerome!

As in Jerome Guillen, former VP of Sales & Service when things ran like clockwork.

• Love
Reactions: DCEV
I will add another datapoint in case if it helps. I just left my car in service and they gave me an Enterprise 75D loaner. 4000 miles. The car has huge yellowing, basically all 4 sides of the MCU are yellow. I haven't seen this issue before in person so it looks pretty damn crazy to me. It looks like a bird shat on it, or a kid spilled chocolate milk. Ew.

My SC is trying - they made an appointment for me on 9/12 - the 30th day post arbitration settlement. They said they honestly don't know if they will have a UV machine or not (as they are relatively low volume in Columbus, OH) but said "we'll fix it one way or another". And they still have Tesla loaners for warranty work. I really do like these guys - think I'm going to bring in donuts. :p

I’m glad to hear your SC is trying but it is a bit disappointing to hear that they are waiting to the 30th day to take care of it. It really makes it feel like they just don’t care if even after arbitration they drag their feet on getting it fixed. I don’t think this is your service centers fault. The lawyer, Ryan, has made claims that he is the one calling the shots on the arbitration service. I guess he doesn’t feel that it is important to resolve the issue quickly to try to save the customer relationship.

Tesla is really screwing themselves with this nonsense. I get asked all the time about how like my Tesla. I used to tell people I love it. Now I tell them about how service has gone to crap and I wouldn't buy another one, at least not at this time. My negative review has probably cost Tesla a sale or two! Tesla is doing tremendous damage to its own brand.

I am saying the same thing. People walk up to me at the chargers all the time and I'm straight with them. I tell them to give Tesla two years and come back to look at things then. Also, all the other companies will have models out then and there will be proper competition.

This doesn't make sense to me. So every Raven being delivered today is going to have this problem in 12 to 18 months? Even if UV works that is completely illogical. But as some have suggested, maybe it isn't the screen but the curing of the glue that was improperly done? If so, the $64k question becomes "when did that procedure change?". We'll never know.

If people keep taking them to arbitration and winning, that gets doubly expensive for them since they have to pay for the arbitration, no?

If the issue is a new issue and did not happen to earlier models, that clearly indicates an issue with "materials and workmanship" and not a "sunshine" matter.

I will add another datapoint in case if it helps. I just left my car in service and they gave me an Enterprise 75D loaner. 4000 miles. The car has huge yellowing, basically all 4 sides of the MCU are yellow. I haven't seen this issue before in person so it looks pretty damn crazy to me. It looks like a bird shat on it, or a kid spilled chocolate milk. Ew.

I don't get why people call it "yellow". Mine is clearly brown.

Reactions: darxsys