Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke vs Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really understand the "you go to reach for it and it is not there" argument. I have never had this situation. I can't really conceive of having that situation in every-day driving. The yoke (unlike a round wheel) almost forces you to remain in contact with the wheel with a decent grip when "turning."

Granted, I don't race. I could see how racing might put me in that situation (taking 120 degree hairpins at speeds pushing the limit of traction?). I am having trouble conceiving of an "emergency situation" where this would come up. Not that it can't exist, (icy road where you lose control of the car, maybe?)

the only time that the yoke puts me in a position to have to sort of "let go and re-engage" is in parking situations...very low speed...turn the wheels from one side to the other. So in my estimation, it really is a matter of preference...except maybe if you are putting your tesla on a track. I will reiterate how I would choose wheel vs. yoke....it is preference based on your use case IMO:

1) Track driving / Racing: Wheel
2) City driving with lots of parallel parking, and low speed 90+ degree turns: Wheel
3) Suburb Driving: Yoke
4) Highway road trips: Yoke

I bought the car happy I could change the wheel if I did not like it. I do like it, the yoke took some getting used to as noted above, a few times I instinctively reached for the top when turning or use my knee to hold wheel for a second, which is not there. U-turns aren't as bad you learn to use the yoke circularly and it becomes second nature.

I don’t mean any disrespect but the fact that any of you prefer the yoke over the steering wheel is honestly irrelevant, as preference and necessity are two completely different things.

There are numerous real world safety situations when you’re actually driving your vehicle yourself that in an emergency situation not having access to a round steering wheel could cost you your life and that of others. I get that it makes you feel cool and tech progressive, and that you have a slightly better view of your dash, but that’s not going to help you when your brain directs your hands towards reaching for 50% of a steering wheel that isn’t there. In the moment of life or death pressure and instant decision making, your brain won’t care about how neat it is to have a yoke, it will reach for a tool that is missing from its toolbox and there will be consequences to that design choice.

It’s the equivalent to removing the brake pedal cause you rarely use it because of regenerative braking. Not needed most of the time, until you REALLY need it.

ETA: I driven race cars that have yoke style steering wheels, but the steering ratio in those makes it so that you‘re almost never in a situation where your hands are at full opposite ends, most won’t even go past 180 degrees and and if they could you’d be past the point of no return anyway and your destiny is in gravity’s hands. Those yokes have nothing to do with what’s in a Tesla. Even in the race car world there are very few iterations that have yoke steering wheels, never mind Bob the dentist on his way to Whole Foods.
There are 0 "safety situations" for me and many others that the yoke present additonal danger for me and many others.

Your rigidity and fear are not universal truths. Just like some can't adjust to no stalks, some can't adjust to a yoke...but others can and come to prefer it.

And you listing things that you feel are unsafe or situations are your opinion, again, not universal truths.

It's fine that you don't like it, but claiming it's unsafe for all is hilarious and equally ridiculous.

Some of you yokels are funny. :)

Before submitting my build I tried it the yoke and really liked it, but like I said my comment wasn’t based on personal preference, so when I ordered my MSP I chose the round wheel despite my preference, not because of it.

I’m happy that some of you haven’t been in a situation where only having half a steering wheel cost you and others your safety, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t so, any more that just because you’ve happened to have never used your airbags doesn’t mean you don’t need them.

Yokes on airplanes are a good system, but cars aren’t airplanes. Airplanes don’t have the potential to break traction at speed on a wet, icy, or snow covered road. Airplanes don't usually get sideswiped by other planes on the highway. These are just two examples where massive corrections are required with instant reactions where driver skill and instinct take over. If you are under the impression that you will have as much control in those types of situations with a yoke then by all means purchase it. I hope you never find yourself in such a situation no matter what steering wheel you chose … but if you are unfortunate to find yourself in high pressure high consequence moment, causality will resolve the argument, not our comments or opinions on a forum.

From my point of view I just decided that should such an extreme road event manifest in my life, that wasn’t going to be the time for me to be testing steering wheel theory, so I chose the round wheel no matter how much I would have preferred the yoke on a daily basis. But I’m glad others chose the yoke, you’ll have the privilege of providing Tesla and the rest of us with much needed data points.

Last edited:
From my point of view I just decided that should such an extreme road event manifest in my life, that wasn’t going to be the time for me to be testing steering wheel theory, so I chose the round wheel no matter how much I would have preferred the yoke on a daily basis. But I’m glad others chose the yoke, you’ll have the privilege of providing Tesla and the rest of us with much needed data points.
From your point of view. Nothing you are saying is a fact...it's your opinion there are or may be unsafe circumstances.

Speaking with absolutes that it's dangerous or unsafe for all is an ignorant take.

I’m happy that some of you haven’t been in a situation where only having half a steering wheel cost you and others your safety, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t so...

Just because you believe the yoke is a safety issue, does not make it so.

I can categorically affirm that when I'm driving "around the suburbs" with a yoke, both my hands are more firmly gripped in proper position with a yoke. Vs. with a steering wheel I'm much more "loosey goosey" about where my hands are, and how firm my grip is.

I could argue that there are many more conditions where having a firm and consistent grip on the yoke is safer for "me and others", than having a wheel where people are more lax about how many hands are gripping it, and where.

To be clear...I don't see a "safety issue" one way or the other (yoke or wheel)..it is personal preference. Use what you want.

I don’t mean any disrespect but the fact that any of you prefer the yoke over the steering wheel is honestly irrelevant, as preference and necessity are two completely different things.

There are numerous real world safety situations when you’re actually driving your vehicle yourself that in an emergency situation not having access to a round steering wheel could cost you your life and that of others. I get that it makes you feel cool and tech progressive, and that you have a slightly better view of your dash, but that’s not going to help you when your brain directs your hands towards reaching for 50% of a steering wheel that isn’t there. In the moment of life or death pressure and instant decision making, your brain won’t care about how neat it is to have a yoke, it will reach for a tool that is missing from its toolbox and there will be consequences to that design choice.

It’s the equivalent to removing the brake pedal cause you rarely use it because of regenerative braking. Not needed most of the time, until you REALLY need it.

ETA: I driven race cars that have yoke style steering wheels, but the steering ratio in those makes it so that you‘re almost never in a situation where your hands are at full opposite ends, most won’t even go past 180 degrees and and if they could you’d be past the point of no return anyway and your destiny is in gravity’s hands. Those yokes have nothing to do with what’s in a Tesla. Even in the race car world there are very few iterations that have yoke steering wheels, never mind Bob the dentist on his way to Whole Foods.
I feel completely safe driving my S plaid and I don’t plan on going back to a round steering well if I get another one.

Reactions: Smh2210
I bought a used 2022 Model S a few months ago. I did a lot of research before hand and went into it with the idea that I would hate the yoke. The day I got the car, the yoke felt cool but alien so I went ahead and ordered the round wheel retrofit. It took about 2-3 weeks for my appointment and in that time I went on 2 road trips and in total drove about 3k miles with the yoke. I got really used to it but went forward with the retrofit anyway. Within a day I regretted it. The unique factor of the yoke was gone, and I feel like the buttons are easier to press with the yoke design. I swapped back to the yoke and I honestly love It now.

View attachment 983590

View attachment 983591

Is it possible to swap back to yoke with "new round steering wheel airbag" without compromising safety? I am aware UI icons won't change without toolbox

Reactions: Smh2210
Some of you yokels are funny.
ChatGPT fails, does not know this new terminology. The yoke came out in 2021 and ChatGPT knowledge does not go beyond 2019.
Screenshot_20231020_100927_ChatGPT.jpg

Reactions: spdrush and soulsea
After 2 years of driving with the yoke, i'm really considering switching to a wheel to replace my peeling yoke. I've generally gotten used to driving with the yoke, but that doesn't mean I think it's better than a traditional round wheel. I'm not sure it's worth it to spend time adapting to a yoke with arguably any benefit (other than it's different) vs. what has been proven to work well for a long time. I've gotten use to making those awkward turns (anyone who can't admit some of those turns are awkward isn't being honest with themselves), but that doesn't mean I enjoy doing it.

ChatGPT fails, does not know this new terminology. The yoke came out in 2021 and ChatGPT knowledge does not go beyond 2019.
View attachment 983891
Maybe yokester is a better term 😄 . I identify as a yokester. Bought my Feb 2022 MSLR without ever even a test drive of this or any other EV. I came from Corvettes, but I'll never return to the ICE ages. My car is freakin' awesome! I would not change anything, but I did PPF the whole car myself: DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

Last edited:
Not exactly sure of your question, but you can swap back and forth between wheel and yoke...as long as you also swap the corresponding air bag with it.
Airbag shape is identical but part number is not, most people that retrofitted round sw couldn't keep old airbag. I still wonder how is new airbag compromising safety when pairing it with yoke.

Some of you yokels are funny. :)

Before submitting my build I tried it the yoke and really liked it, but like I said my comment wasn’t based on personal preference, so when I ordered my MSP I chose the round wheel despite my preference, not because of it.

I’m happy that some of you haven’t been in a situation where only having half a steering wheel cost you and others your safety, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t so, any more that just because you’ve happened to have never used your airbags doesn’t mean you don’t need them.

Yokes on airplanes are a good system, but cars aren’t airplanes. Airplanes don’t have the potential to break traction at speed on a wet, icy, or snow covered road. Airplanes don't usually get sideswiped by other planes on the highway. These are just two examples where massive corrections are required with instant reactions where driver skill and instinct take over. If you are under the impression that you will have as much control in those types of situations with a yoke then by all means purchase it. I hope you never find yourself in such a situation no matter what steering wheel you chose … but if you are unfortunate to find yourself in high pressure high consequence moment, causality will resolve the argument, not our comments or opinions on a forum.

I agree, in an emergency, with quick reactions, counter steering a skid, snow, ice, slick roads, avoiding an accident, a steering wheel is safer, your muscle memory will take over, quick hand over hand is needed. I have a ton of track experience, but I will say I think the greater risk is the power of the plaid, that might get more people in trouble and over their skis than the yoke will.

I like the front camera screen you have. Can you share what you are using and link? also how did u manage to keep it fixed there and do u have to automatically turn on and off the camera each time?

I use it as a camera to see my baby in her rear facing carseat. I basically bought a camera off Amazon and modified it in several ways for the cleanest install I could. As for power, I tapped into the wireless phone chargers for switched power.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I thought I wouldn't like it but I like the Yoke alot.
I drive with my hand(s) at 4 and 8 and have no issues doing 3 point turns.
For me now that I'm 65 an added benefit no one has mentioned is that if you put it upside down when you get out of the car there is 6" extra clearance that makes getting in and out a lot better.

I don't like the buttons so I've ordered this CF overlay from China that should be delivered tomorrow.
to give me better location.
Will see how it goes..

it goes.