Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You pre-ordered a Tesla Model III, so what, do you have a Plug?

Will it be easier to get at least a (110 v-15A for US) or (220v-10 A for Europe…)?

• I own or rent a separate house, so getting a plug is not an issue.

• I rent a separate house, but my landlord will be reluctant for installing a new plug.

• I rent/own an apartment or a condo, my landlord seems favorable for installing a new Plug.

• I rent/own an apartment or a condo, my landlord will be reluctant for installing a new Plug.

• I park in the street or I don’t have an assigned parking spot.

• I can charge at work.

• There is a public charging station at walking distance from my home.

• I have not thought yet about how to plug when I pre-order my Model III.

• I will certainly cancel my pre-order and get an ICE or Hybrid instead.

• Others.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, we get it, we're not stupid. Tesla runs on electricity. We just didn't think through to the fact that it needs to be charged at home and if you don't OWN A HOUSE then this becomes a major obstacle.

What kind of mileage do you do? I don't have the ability to charge at home at the moment either, but could get by just fine using public charge points if a Tesla suddenly came into my life. In 2 years there will be many, many more charge points scattered about.

The upside to this excruciating wait for our cars is that there's time to plan ahead and explore the different options for charging (at home or otherwise).

There is very little doubt that Tesla relies on a robust *private* infrastructure that is front and central the home, then the workplace, and around the margin SCs and other public charging stations at a price to fuel their cars. I understand that people who are new to Tesla and all things Tesla related have not had a chance to internalize this structure -- and I feel littleCloudy's disappointment. His situation will probably not be resolved today and perhaps not in two years, but you never know. Electrification of Apt complexes and workplaces will happen, and probably faster than most think, though not fast enough for littleCloudy.

We are all constrained by our means and budgets. I have been waiting for the Model3 for onwards of 10 years by the time it shows up, and I may have to wait even longer if my home rental cannot accommodate PV. In the meantime I enjoy the Tesla experience through current owners. It is not as good as having the car in my garage but it is a *whole* lot better than nothing.

So, littleCloudy, stay involved, stay committed. Keep on learning about EVs, and most importantly keep on advocating for them and the infrastructure needed for you and your circle to be able to own an EV one day. Staying engaged will hasten the day.

All the best,

Eric

Last edited:
I vaguely remember losses being proportional to the square of the current; so if that is correct I'm surprised that fixed losses overwhelm that number.
Your memory is right about resistive losses. But if you think about it, these circuits are 95% efficient at full load. There is a lot more in there than just a wire.

There are two articles linked to in this thread.
I'd like to hear from Tesla what they think about this problem.
No, we get it, we're not stupid. Tesla runs on electricity. We just didn't think through to the fact that it needs to be charged at home and if you don't OWN A HOUSE then this becomes a major obstacle.

A logical way to think about this is: "There is an App for that!"

Apple grew by making an ecosystem that recruits other companies to help serve their customers. Tesla's financial success will come by following the same path.

There is very little doubt that Tesla relies on a robust *private* infrastructure that is front and central the home, then the workplace, and around the margin SCs and other public charging stations at a price to fuel their cars. I understand that people who are new to Tesla and all things Tesla related have not had a chance to internalize this structure -- and I feel littlecloudy's disappointment. His situation will probably not be resolved today and perhaps not in two years, but you never know. Electrification of Apt complexes and workplaces will happen, and probably faster than most think, though not fast enough for littlecloudy.

We are all constrained by our means and budgets. I have been waiting for the Model3 for onwards of 10 years by the time it shows up, and I may have to wait even longer if my home rental cannot accommodate PV. In the meantime I enjoy the Tesla experience through current owners. It is not as good as having the car in my garage but it is a *whole* lot better than nothing.

So, littleCloudy, stay involved, stay committed. Keep on learning about EVs, and most importantly keep on advocating for them and the infrastructure needed for you and your circle to be able to own an EV one day. Staying engaged will hasten the day.

All the best,

Eric
+1

As someone who used to live with only on-street parking, this thread has struck a nerve with me. I really feel for littlecloudy's situation. I have to say that the situation for EV charging even here in Michigan has been improving faster than I could have hoped. Heck, after only a few years of nudging, my workplace is beginning to explore the viability of thinking about possibly studying installing a charger or two. :rolleyes: I guess that's progress....

Fortunately for me, after I lost the lease on my street-parking-only apartment last year, it turns out that the HOA for the condo I bought seems to be pretty cool with me installing a charger for my parking area. Their attitude was "hey, this is the future -- we'll be able to learn by watching this." Of course, there will be details to be sorted out, but it's looking good.

Hang in there littlecloudy -- the situation is improving. Fingers crossed that it will be in time for you to take delivery of your shiny new Model 3! :)

Reactions: Tes LA and linkster
I recently had a framing walk for our new house. I told the electrician guy to give me a NEMA14-50 by the breaker panel. The price came back for $100.

I would install a Tesla wall charger once I get a Tesla truck in the future.

Regard to those without a dedicated source of plug or private parking, don't give up. Research all option on destination charging and find a way for even normal household plug. I suspect the charging efficiency will improve and you can get by if your commute is not more than 50 miles each trip.

Public charging infrastructure will improve but it can't be overnight. 5 years from now, we won't have this discussion any longer. In short term, you might have to enroll in level 2 private network like Blink or similar companies that have chargers in most chain grocery stores like Kroger/Fred Meyer/Walmart.

+1

As someone who used to live with only on-street parking, this thread has struck a nerve with me. I really feel for littlecloudy's situation. I have to say that the situation for EV charging even here in Michigan has been improving faster than I could have hoped. Heck, after only a few years of nudging, my workplace is beginning to explore the viability of thinking about possibly studying installing a charger or two. :rolleyes: I guess that's progress....

Fortunately for me, after I lost the lease on my street-parking-only apartment last year, it turns out that the HOA for the condo I bought seems to be pretty cool with me installing a charger for my parking area. Their attitude was "hey, this is the future -- we'll be able to learn by watching this." Of course, there will be details to be sorted out, but it's looking good.

Hang in there littlecloudy -- the situation is improving. Fingers crossed that it will be in time for you to take delivery of your shiny new Model 3! :)
"beginning to explore the viability of thinking about possibly studying installing"
That is a BUNCH of hedge. Im gonna steal that string and use it ...whenever I need to begin to explore the viability of thinking about possibly studying installing something.

No correct option for me.

Here there are plenty (no statistics but my GUESS would be that over 60%) parking lots where there are heater posts:

fibox_j1v.png

and
normal_lohkolammitys.jpg

While I own the parking spot in our row house I have asked the board of our housing association if they have any objections of me ordering an electrician to remove the 2 hour timer clock and using the outlet for charging a car - since the housing association owns the heater post. They were all for it. Of course, what's important is that I will pay for the electricity I will use. The exact details are still open and will be agreed once I actually have a car that needs charging.

Charging at 13A 230V isn't exactly super fast, but I don't need fast charging at home.

Some folks on here definitely are smug and dismissive. Others, though, are actually proffering legitimate suggestions.

Talk to your apartment complex.
Talk to your place of employment.
Look up local chargers with Plug Share and Charge Point and whatever other service/app is out there.

If you refuse to take the advice others are giving you, then you do deserve criticism for that.

Last edited:
Is the conclusion therefore that if you don't own a house then - forget about owning a Tesla?
Not at all! But the notion that everything will magically fall into place once you buy your Tesla preposterous. There requires at least some semblance of a plan when going EV and you're delusional if you think it's all just gonna work out in the end.

There are plenty of options. Ensure you live somewhere with a 120v outlet somewhat accessible to your car, and make sure it's okay with the property owner and city that you have an extension cord there. Worried about your UMC getting stolen or damaged? Put it in a lockbox and slide it under your car.

Better yet, talk to your property owner about getting an outlet installed near your parking space. Even better? See if they'll install a full-blown charging station! There are loads of rebates and if you offer to chip in (or fully fund), I don't think there will be an issue. Argue that it'll raise the property value.

Talk to your boss at work! See if they'll install a charging station. Even better, find other people at your company who own EVs or PHEVs and band together to create a proposal. See if they have a 120v outlet already near where you normally park.

If it's in the budget (I would hope so if you're purchasing a $35k+ car) relocate to somewhere with a garage or carport. Somewhere to park your car that may have outlets nearby or the ability to cheaply install outlets.

Point is, you need to talk to the people who own the property you live at and frequent and make plans ahead of time. Trying to scramble and do all this last minute is not going to be fun. Realizing you need to do this after you get your Tesla? Even less fun! Superchargers are an acceptable backup plan, but you'll soon quickly realize how inconvenient it will be.

Simple solution: plug in car, and get exercise while waiting. :p

Charging a car differs in one important way from filling a car with fuel: you can walk away from your car. (It's also safe to get in it while it's charging.) So the charging time would not be entirely wasted if you can do something you'd do anyway while it's charging.

While I'd not want to buy without home or workplace charging, I would say that if they get a Model 3, there's an implication of a larger number of PEV sales, and therefore an increasing chance of charging availability improving.
Oh, no doubt that charging is more flexible than pumping gas. Superchargers are often next to places of interest, but let me tell you that will get old after a while. When you're frequenting the same goddamn Red Robin multiple times a week, you'll either have the reverse effect of exercise (i.e. getting fat) or lose your sanity.

Another thing that I know affects me is I would feel charging after work as an extension of "work". It's something I have to do, but don't want to do. I already feel this way about pumping gas, and that takes 5 minutes! So let's say you work 8 hour days, 5 days a week. Now 1-2 of those days every week are 9 hour days until you can get home. Kids need to be picked up from daycare? Well *sugar*, now when do you charge?

Personally, I feel like I can't truly relax and let my responsibilities go until I'm home on my couch or doing things I enjoy. Going to the supercharger and sitting in my car, all dressed up in suit and tie, killing time on my phone isn't exactly my idea of relaxing. Having to get up in the middle of relaxation and go charge for an hour at night is even worse!

This is why I hate the concept of siestas. I'd rather get my day with as fast as possible so I can go home and enjoy a block of time to myself. I can't possibly enjoy 2 hours of off-time knowing I have to go right back to work. Those poor Chinese: start the day at 9-10, work until a 2-3 hour lunch, then go home at 9-10. There's no time to work on any projects or do anything that takes more than an hour to get into!

My point is, having to supercharge all the time chips into your "me time", and while that's not a big deal once in a while, it will become a serious drain when it's a weekly occurrence.

There are two articles linked to in this thread. They indicate a very serious problem. Obviously, the vast majority of people on this forum do not have this problem. I feel that as a result there's an air of dismissiveness towards those of us who do.

I rent an apartment. BTW, I used to rent a house but had to move. In some cities, obviously, most people rent, and they rent apartments, not houses. If you rent or own a house, even if your landlord does allow you to install a charger, and then move to an apartment, what then? You're one job move/divorce/whatnot away from not being able to charge your Tesla.

I think people here err in that they don't consider that the goal is to be inclusive in order to move the world to sustainable energy, and that means making a car that everyone can buy as long as they can put down the downpayment and pretty reasonable monthly payments. People here are mostly techies. Most people out there are not. The goal is to get the car to the rest of us, not to have an exclusive club.

Model 3 is the indication to the world that the game is changing. For it to change, you can't exclude whole segments of the population, especially when these are people who desperately want a Tesla. I'm not mechanically or technically minded. I shouldn't have to be in order to own a Tesla. It needs to be plug and play for everyone. That doesn't make non-techies idiots as some here seem to feel. We just don't think about things the same way you do. I thought Tesla would take care of this problem just as I get all technical and mechanical problems taken care of by someone else. This might be difficult for this predominantly male forum to grasp.

I'd like to hear from Tesla what they think about this problem.

The facts are that there are nearly 86,000,000 households in the US with access to home charging. If Tesla were manufacturing 1M vehicles a year it would take 86 years for just one member of each household to have access to a Tesla.

While it's unfortunate that more people don't have access to home charging, it makes little sense for Tesla to provide a means to charge when such a large pool of potential customers have access. Charging is something you'll have to figure out on your own, and if you can't make it work in your current situation, well, that's just the reality you'll have to accept.

Reactions: BluestarE3