Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youtube resolution now locked at 360p after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this widespread? I haven't yet had a chance to check on my vehicle. I assume this change would be classified as an unintentional bug; no way they'll limit it to 360p even on wifi; that'd be silly, lol. Why even have a high-resolution screen if you make it impossible to enjoy content on it? I can't genuinely see why they'd do this intentionally.

Is this widespread? I haven't yet had a chance to check on my vehicle. I assume this change would be classified as an unintentional bug; no way they'll limit it to 360p even on wifi; that'd be silly, lol. Why even have a high-resolution screen if you make it impossible to enjoy content on it? I can't genuinely see why they'd do this intentionally.
Yes! I am in Canada, I have premium subscription, the resolution is locked to 360P, also speed is locked, nothing can be changed. WTF.

Using the Tesla browser, I went to my own website, clicked on an embedded youtube video, and it plays in 720p. It has a resolution icon, and I can up it to 1080P. The downside is it can't go to full screen. The full-screen button on youtube is ignored. Spreading your fingers on the video, you can expand the video out to the browser edges, but you can't make the browser full screen. I haven't tried it with 4G, only home WiFi. Here is the page I went to if others want to try it out: Tshow – Front End Light Show – TeslaTap

It seems pretty obvious to me that Tesla intentionally lowered the resolution to save money. I don't think they have any intentions of fixing something that they already consider "fixed". The fact that it's locked to 360p even on WiFi is probably just collateral damage.
SCNR: And don't call me Shirley 😁
I doubt about it. Who is sitting in the car watching videos all day?

Reactions: henderrj
Exactly. I was sharing this with a friend and he joked about how I should just use a VHS machine and CRT screen to watch videos if I can't get more than 360. I hope Tesla realizes the Youtube resolution restriction and does something about it.
Note: when I watched Disney+ the resolution looked good so I don't think it is a mobile carrier restriction.

Exactly. I was sharing this with a friend and he joked about how I should just use a VHS machine and CRT screen to watch videos if I can't get more than 360. I hope Tesla realizes the Youtube resolution restriction and does something about it.
Note: when I watched Disney+ the resolution looked good so I don't think it is a mobile carrier restriction.
I can confirm Netflix is also OK, HD quality

My theory is that the realized how slow YouTube was running on the atom at higher quality settings. Their “fix” was just to limit it to 360p and now it’s running like a dream at the expense video quality. I would rather have the slow performance and high video quality than have the app actually run well.

Is it limited to 360p on the AMD?

My theory is that the realized how slow YouTube was running on the atom at higher quality settings. Their “fix” was just to limit it to 360p and now it’s running like a dream at the expense video quality. I would rather have the slow performance and high video quality than have the app actually run well.

Is it limited to 360p on the AMD?
Yes, settings are also locked in my 2022 S with AMD.

Given that I did not update my car firmware recently I also suspect it is a YouTube-side change. Hopefully temporary.

Found workaround:)

When selecting the broken resolution menu in the settings, move the leftmost steering wheel control left (IE as in switching to previous song) and I'm able to iterate through resolutions. I had to keep a finger on the resolution widget that fails to turn into a menu while doing the first "left" click
Note: This seems to indicate that it's a combination of YouTube selecting a sub standard default for Teslas and the Tesla UI not supporting pop up menus

Found workaround:)

When selecting the broken resolution menu in the settings, move the leftmost steering wheel control left (IE as in switching to previous song) and I'm able to iterate through resolutions. I had to keep a finger on the resolution widget that fails to turn into a menu while doing the first "left" click
OZbenh, you’re a bloody genius👍. Back to watching the girls in 4K😛🤣🤣👍Thanks👌

A577ACE6-2E7B-42EB-BC8E-D24A829462B6.jpeg

As mentioned this sounds very much like a YouTube update that’s knocked the options for other resolutions off the list..

YouTube supports certain browsers and I suspect the version of “Chromium” (the underlying tech used in Google Chrome) the Tesla browser uses is a little old now and thus options are limited..

If that’s the case I’d expect Tesla to upgrade the web browser at some stage..