Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0 (ZERO) Safety Score Rating?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am somewhat confused. Did a 6 mile drive today and we have a “0” score. It says that we had 101.9 average collision warnings. Does that mean the car thought it was going to hit something 101 times in 6 mile drive? How is that even possible? This alert is audible as well, correct? So we would have had to of heard some type of chime 101 times in that 6 mile drive?
04B0168A-CEF5-42AD-BE28-C7AFD7C55C7A.png
8C447B2F-9B19-4CFD-A717-565D8A98C53E.jpeg

I am somewhat confused. Did a 6 mile drive today and we have a “0” score. It says that we had 101.9 average collision warnings. Does that mean the car thought it was going to hit something 101 times in 6 mile drive? How is that even possible? This alert is audible as well, correct? So we would have had to of heard some type of chime 101 times in that 6 mile drive?

It's 101.9 "events" every 1,000 miles. Since you drove 6 miles so it's 0.6114 "events" for the entire trip.

The scoring measures the projected event at the "medium" setting so it silently picks up the warnings well before you can hear them if you set them "late".

So, if you want to hear the warnings, you need to set it at "early" or "medium" and not late.

It's 101.9 "events" every 1,000 miles. Since you drove 6 miles so it's 0.6114 "events" for the entire trip.
Given the fractional value you've calculated, I can't help but wonder if the "safety score" has a bug involving total driven miles of under a certain value. The feature is marked as "beta," and more prominently than most of Tesla's beta features, so a bug like this wouldn't be surprising.

I am perplexed by this as well. I have had multiple instances in my daily trips where it registers a 101.9 for forward collision warnings but was nowhere close to a collision in my short drive. I believe the internal collision settings must be set to an UBER sensitive setting.

I'm about to give up on this safety score and FSD because it's nearly impossible to achieve a 98 or above.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I am somewhat confused. Did a 6 mile drive today and we have a “0” score. It says that we had 101.9 average collision warnings. Does that mean the car thought it was going to hit something 101 times in 6 mile drive? How is that even possible? This alert is audible as well, correct? So we would have had to of heard some type of chime 101 times in that 6 mile drive? View attachment 714428View attachment 714429
lol, watch some videos on how to get high numbers. you're missing some key things.

I am perplexed by this as well. I have had multiple instances in my daily trips where it registers a 101.9 for forward collision warnings but was nowhere close to a collision in my short drive. I believe the internal collision settings must be set to an UBER sensitive setting.

I'm about to give up on this safety score and FSD because it's nearly impossible to achieve a 98 or above.
set your collision alert at medium. and if you get 1 alert in 10 miles, that would give you 100 FCW. it averages it out over 1000 miles... read the FAQ Tesla gives. its very in depth with explinations

View attachment 758753
thats over 1700 miles. its not a hard game to play, just read the details that Tesla explains. click "Learn More" in the app and read carefully.
The question the more litigious of us are asking is whether or not we should have to play a game. We've spent somewhere between 70 and 140,000 on a car including 8 to 12,000 for full self driving that doesn't exist. Remind me again why I need to drive like a little old lady when clear commitments were made that this would be rolled out by the end of last year.

The question the more litigious of us are asking is whether or not we should have to play a game. We've spent somewhere between 70 and 140,000 on a car including 8 to 12,000 for full self driving that doesn't exist. Remind me again why I need to drive like a little old lady when clear commitments were made that this would be rolled out by the end of last year.
because the beta group is literally teaching the entire future FSD fleet to drive. It’s not all “in this situation, do this.” It’s AI. It’s a child learning how to react and adapt.

The AI is not a set of a on/off logic gates with definite yes/no to every situation. It’s learning. It adapts. And you don’t want a bunch of reckless drivers teaching drivers Ed to a child.

People have the wrong idea of what is actually happening. You want a robotic cruise control and lane following, Hyundai/Kia has a great one. But it’s never going to grow or improve. 10 years from now, it will respond the exact same way to every situation, every time.

Tesla is attempting to go above and beyond, and doing so in a way that’s keeping regulation from shutting it down completely. Which unfortunately, due to red tape and *sugar* talking companies, If you want to be a part of it, play the game, and show that you can be a good teacher.

That sounds more like an entitlement type answer. This is beyond the I have money I am owed this.

Did you really think it would be working by then? I've been only sort of following FSD development, at Tesla and other companies, and I'm skeptical anyone will really get it done in 10 years. Night, snowstorms, bad lane markings, heavy rain, are the hardest problems, and most are still struggling to get close on clear, sunny days. The edge cases will take 90% of the effort, and they're struggling to get the easy part done, seemingly unaware that they'll only be 10% done developing when they get it to work on sunny clear days.

Why buy something that's not working? Just wait until it's actually ready.

OR, understand that you're participating in a kickstarter like development, with really low chance of delivering, ever.

Did you really think it would be working by then? I've been only sort of following FSD development, at Tesla and other companies, and I'm skeptical anyone will really get it done in 10 years. Night, snowstorms, bad lane markings, heavy rain, are the hardest problems, and most are still struggling to get close on clear, sunny days. The edge cases will take 90% of the effort, and they're struggling to get the easy part done, seemingly unaware that they'll only be 10% done developing when they get it to work on sunny clear days.

Why buy something that's not working? Just wait until it's actually ready.

OR, understand that you're participating in a kickstarter like development, with really low chance of delivering, ever.
Tesla stated multiple times that it was going to working by the end of the year including on the website where I place the order. If I remember correctly it said FSD on city streets by the end of the year. It's not about what I believe it's about what they sold me.

Reactions: KArnold
Well, even if they did get level 5 autonomy, the Tesla disclaimer says you may not be able to use it depending on laws in your jurisdiction. You had to know it was/is a long shot.

I give it 10 years minimum, out side of controlled routes (like designated transit lines).

You Tesla Fanboys are funny. When Boeing sells a Boeing 737 Max that has automatic flight and safety capabilities and it crashes nobody makes the claim that the pilot should have known better. When Boeing sells a 787 that has Energy Management capabilities that ends up having battery fires and needs to be grounded nobody says the buyer should have known better. Tesla markets the technology and makes a claim as to when it will be effective. Because you guys have been enjoying the Kool-Aid you can't allow yourselves to forget the concept of commitments and obligations from the seller to a buyer. I would not have spent the money on the FSD if Musk hadn't claimed it would be working and the website didn't flat out say that it would function by year end. You may have but there are many of us, probably not on this board, who feel this was dishonest.
I don't expect you guys to agree with me but step outside of your lust for Elon and imagine if you purchased a house with a $10,000 roof that never materialized. Would you be as kind and tolerant?

Boeing actually tried to blame the pilots for both 737 MAX crashes for at least the first 6-12 months (I forget), just sayin.

I'm not a fanboy, actually pretty disappointed about v11 UI.

But FSD has a HUGE disclaimer that you might never be able to use it, if your local laws don't keep up. You missed that part?

Heck, it's right in the front page.

(sorry for thread drift, no idea how we got here)
AC127533-EB6A-4061-905E-E88CC6E3CF6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Boeing actually tried to blame the pilots for both 737 MAX crashes for at least the first 6-12 months (I forget), just sayin.

I'm not a fanboy, actually pretty disappointed about v11 UI.

But FSD has a HUGE disclaimer that you might never be able to use it, if your local laws don't keep up. You missed that part?
You're misunderstanding makes my point. Boeing may have said that but nobody else on Earth believed them and there was significant financial liability incurred. I missed nothing - I purchased something that was supposed to do self-driving on city streets by the end of the year and nothing has come out not even a beta was delivered to me. Can you clearly articulate what you feel I may have missed based on the website and years of commitments from tesla? I love your quasi-intellectual decomposition of my statements but do you have any real comprehension of what I'm saying?

Reactions: pilotSteve