TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

1 year service?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by singleview, Nov 20, 2017.

1. singleview

singleview Member

So my Model S is a little over a year new. I think I should take it in for service. Couple of things in my mind:
    • I believe there was a recall notice that was non-urgent some months back
    • I had heard that some Model S vehicles may qualify for a performance boost update that needs to be done at the service center
    • My entertainment center seems to be buggier than before (e.g. some noise artifact); with me needing to hold down the two scroll buttons on the steering and re-booth the system more now than I've done before. The system also seems to reboot on its own every now and then.
    What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

2. Xenius

Xenius Member

I think the recall you're referring to is the parking brake, supposedly they can also fix this with a ranger, so you shouldn't HAVE to bring it in for this.

I'd bring it in simply for the performance boost at least!

I don't really run into issues with my center screen so can't explicitly speak to that.

If I recall the first yearly service for me was a hair under $600.00. If you're not required to perform it because of lease you could potentially skip it. I did mine slightly early and will do the two year slightly late.

• Like x 1
  3. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

First year service is mostly inspections, but now includes gearbox fluid change. I was planning on skipping, but now that they added the gearbox fluid change I'm going to go ahead and have it done.

• Like x 1
  4. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Can you go in and JUST get the gearbox fluid change, and just pay for that? A La Carte? $600 seems steep for wipers, tire rotation/checks, and the gearbox fluid change.

5. singleview

singleview Member

I agree! I plan to call em up and schedule something... so I'll let you know what I learn!

• Like x 1
  6. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Comparing the S with the D pricing, I'd guess the drive unit fluid replacement is $75 each axle.

Looks like I have 470 miles to decide if I pre-pay or just go with it annually (or as needed)

Maintenance Plans

A little concerning that I've hit 12k miles in 7 months.

7. singleview

singleview Member

We just can't help it. When it's THAT much fun to ride, you ride it! Mine's over a year and I crossed the 15k mark. :);):cool:

• Like x 1
  8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

So... 21,000 miles in 7.5 months would be bad? ;)

• Funny x 1
  9. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I work from home, or I’d be there too!

• Like x 1
  10. Xenius

Xenius Member

23.5k miles, 15 months. Previous car was 2.5yrs old and sold with only 14k miles....yeah.