Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d is coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, do you happen to know the usable capacity of the 100kWh packs? Maybe 93kWh?

I don't know as I don't believe anyone has hacked one yet, but I would bet that 94-96kWh is usable. A 4kWh anti-bricking buffer is what the 85 and 90s have, 4kWh is actually in Tesla's software (credit to wk057) so I'd bet that 96kWh is usable.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
@henderrj, the Model 3 will use the 2170 cells. Production rate is expected to be 400K/year for Model 3 and 100K/year for S&X. I don't see why they would keep 20% of their pack production on the old platform especially considering that both the Model S and X are heavy cars and the new 2170 cells have higher energy density which means less weight for the same capacity. Reducing weight improves many things (better handling, more range, quicker acceleration).

Don't they have a contract with Panasonic to purchase for a minimum kWhs of 18650 cells that goes for at least a few more years?

And maybe they will need all of the 2170 cells that they can produce for the Model 3 and TE products, such that they can't afford to use them for the Model S and X.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying, Troy, but Mike maks a good point. Although I think Tesla and Panasonic could work out any deal they want it at this point. Still, the economic benefits of staying with the same pack production equipment as well as the same battery cell production equipment could be pretty incredible. Of course my question was, is the production equipment that makes the 100s already setup to work with the new cells once they are available?

Just thinking,

Rick

@MP3Mike,
This is what Tesla said:
We plan to use the battery packs manufactured at the Gigafactory for our vehicles, initially for Model S and Model X, and later for our Model 3 vehicle
Source: page 26, paragraph 3

I think the reason why you gave me the dislike was because I said Model S & X will switch to Gigafactory cells. Now that I provided a source for that statement, do you mind removing that?

@MP3Mike,
This is what Tesla said:

I think the reason why you gave me the dislike was because I said Model S & X will switch to Gigafactory cells. Now that I provided a source for that statement, do you mind removing that?

But I don't think you did. It says that they will use packs produced at the Gigafactory, not that the packs produced at the Gigafactory will use cells produced at the Gigafactory. Everything they have been making at the Gigafactory has been using imported 18650 cells so far.

Hello all. I just checked and it's available in the premium upgrades package for all models now. Looks like something else I just missed. LOL Love my new Model S still!

Are you talking about ventilated seats? If so the design page says "Ventilated front seats that circulate cool, dry air through perforations in the seating surface when paired with Black or Tan Tesla Premium Seats on Performance cars"

So not on all models.

@henderrj, the Model 3 will use the 2170 cells. Production rate is expected to be 400K/year for Model 3 and 100K/year for S&X. I don't see why they would keep 20% of their pack production on the old platform especially considering that both the Model S and X are heavy cars and the new 2170 cells have higher energy density which means less weight for the same capacity. Reducing weight improves many things (better handling, more range, quicker acceleration). Also, it would make sense to implement any new feature to Model S&X first to reduce risks.
Anyone know the answer to this? Why would Tesla not use 2170's in the Model S, Elon has stated this a few times.

... Why would Tesla not use 2170's in the Model S ...
The cells mount vertically in the modules under the floor board. The 2170 is 3mm longer, meaning taller and do not fit in a Model S modules. If the module is made 3mm taller it will not fit under the floor.

My feeling is Tesla will find a way in shoe horn the extra 3mm of the 2170 cells into The Model S and Model X. Until then all MS and MX modules will be made from 18650 cells.

• Informative
Reactions: mdevp