Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D price increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder why they decided to wait a week to raise the price in 100D? If it does increase in price, then anybody who buys in the next week is getting the best deal possible.

I'm not too upset that I paid $1500 for the glass roof that is now standard. I would be more upset if I opted out of the glass roof to save money and they then made it standard. At least I still have my glass roof.

You know how much they are raising the price next week? (Can you share with us?)

The difference will be more significant for Tesla’s “performance vehicles”, while the increase for the new “100D” battery pack is more reasonable. Here are the changes effective on April 24, 2017:

• Model S 100D: $95,000 to $97,500
  • Model S P100D: $134,500 to $140,000
  • Model X 100D: $98,500 to $99,500
  • Model X P100D: $135,500 to $145,000

All a a carefully crafted ballet. This way gives folks a kick in the pants to order. But also makes folks that recently accepted delivery of 100D cars feel bad. Had the price gone up with the glass roof and faster charger change, us recent deliveries would feel better.

Oh well.

All a a carefully crafted ballet. This way gives folks a kick in the pants to order. But also makes folks that recently accepted delivery of 100D cars feel bad. Had the price gone up with the glass roof and faster charger change, us recent deliveries would feel better.

Oh well.

Agreed, but I think the reason is they want a flood of orders for the higher priced 100D that they can complete before the end of Q2. If they get that flood over the next week then the planned price increase will have done it's job.

Having just driven home from work, I can't be all that mad. :D

Reactions: brkaus
The difference will be more significant for Tesla’s “performance vehicles”, while the increase for the new “100D” battery pack is more reasonable. Here are the changes effective on April 24, 2017:

• Model S 100D: $95,000 to $97,500
  • Model S P100D: $134,500 to $140,000
  • Model X 100D: $98,500 to $99,500
  • Model X P100D: $135,500 to $145,000
The Model S 100D is currently $92,500... how did they end up with $95,000?

It's likely Tesla looked at the configurations being ordered and decided to optimize manufacturing by reducing the number of configurations to those that were being put into most of the cars. And, even though this is effectively a price decrease for those configurations, Tesla is also likely generating some additional profit by the manufacturing cost savings of having fewer options.

Agreed. When a company has no competition, minor reductions in configuration choices to the consumer may have no negative impact on sales.

Someday Tesla will have serious competition and will see the need to offer more options and choices, not less. But remarkably, after almost 9 years of building and delivering vehicles, Tesla still has no direct competitors (I don't consider the Chevy Bolt a direct competitor, but will leave that discussion to the various Bolt threads).