Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12K for FSD is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That driver is confused. It’s a Uber/Hertz JV.
Does that mean Elon can realize the FSD money from 2016? If they call it "Tesla Network (Powered by Uber)"

That’s kinda rude? No one is “flexing”. Calm down.
Sorry, thought you were joking about buying multiple Model Ys with $12k FSD that you'll sell in 24 months.

Unclear what disclaimer you're referring to here? Do you have a link/source?

Purchase agreement.
Now it says new hardware is not included...

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors Canada ULC or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order. Options or features released after you place your order may not be included in your Vehicle

Last edited:
Does that mean Elon can realize the FSD money from 2016? If they call it "Tesla Network (Powered by Uber)"
No. It’s also not upto EM.

They have to satisfy the original purchase agreement and auditors have to certify.

BTW, those who don’t follow this closely, Tesla has reduced guidance on how much revenue they will recognize over the next year in Q4 report.

Purchase agreement.

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors Canada ULC or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order. Options or features released after you place your order may not be included in your Vehicle
Seems they both say the same thing granted I rarely see your point.

They specifically called out no hardware upgrades in the current version. That's a pretty big change, IMO.
I don't think its a big change i.e. they just made it explicit - earlier they probably thought "features" / "options" includes hardware.

ps : This is one of those area where being *much* better than traditional automakers is made out to be sin by haters. Instead of waiting for model year changes, Tesla practices continuous improvements. That also means hardware changes that might happen after you order but not the car you receive.

They specifically called out no hardware upgrades in the current version. That's a pretty big change, IMO.
Lol potato patato same context. If it didn’t come with your car it’s not included, not exactly unheard of statement from virtual Any product sale. My guess is this was to reflect to new camera software or fart speaker feature “I want free new upgraded camera’s and a speaker“ posse.

Lol potato patato same context. If it didn’t come with your car it’s not included, not exactly unheard of statement from virtual Any product sale. My guess is this was to reflect to new camera software or fart speaker feature “I want free new upgraded camera’s and a speaker“ posse.
Really?
"All Tesla's built 2016 or newer have the required hardware for full self driving" which they've come to find out was not correct.

Right now you need,
HW3/"FSD" computer upgrade
New cameras
MCU2

That's a lot of trips to get new hardware. By including the hardware term in the newer purchase agreement, they're probably shielding themselves from endless hardware upgrades, which is what will be needed if these cars will ever make it level 4 or 5.

Keep in mind I'm using 2016 FSD Language. Not the watered down definition that it is today, which is pretty much Enhanced Autopilot plus stop lights.

Purchase agreement.

That the agreement for the car.

So that you can't reject it because you heard a new HW feature like the ryzen computer was coming soon.

That's not part of the terms of FSD at all.

Tesla has always provided free HW upgrades needed for FSD owners- and have publicly stated they are doing that.

As recently as just a couple months ago Elon mentioned they're upgrading AP2.0 cameras to the newer ones so that earlier buyers can potentially get into the beta, and that the upgrade is free.

A number of owners have already had the free upgrade (there's a whole thread here on it).

So once again your conclusion appears to be based on not understanding what was said or why.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sporty and Yelobird
That the agreement for the car.

Tesla has always provided free HW upgrades needed for FSD owners- and have publicly stated they are doing that.
Where's the agreement for FSD then? You're going by tweets which you've almost always tried to discredit as non-contract bearing. It seems you pick and choose which tweets are contract worthy now?

Free HW upgrades? What about those on MCU1? I asked how to get in the FSD Beta and the answer always is, "Tesla is working on it. Maybe 6 months. But you can pay us $2170 (tax and FM included) to get it now"

So once again your conclusion appears to be based on your assumption that everyone here purchased 2018+ FSD

Where's the agreement for FSD then? You're going by tweets

No, I'm not (well, I'm citing one that confirms previous info, but I'm not "going" by it)

Both the camera upgrades Elon mentioned, and the FSD computer one, are in writing at tesla.com here:

Tesla said:
If you purchased Full Self-Driving capability and have Autopilot computer 2.0 or 2.5, you are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to FSD computer. Certain early production vehicles may also receive complimentary camera replacements.

Tesla has publicly stated any needed HW upgrades will be free for FSD owners going back to mid-2017 at least that I know of, which was the first time newer HW was introduced (AP2.5 at the time)- and was widely reported on at that time, for example:

Where they quote a Tesla spokesperson mentioning that if older HW cars need HW upgrades for owned FSD features, they'd upgrade them for free.

Where's the agreement for FSD then? You're going by tweets which you've almost always tried to discredit as non-contract bearing. It seems you pick and choose which tweets are contract worthy now?

Free HW upgrades? What about those on MCU1? I asked how to get in the FSD Beta and the answer always is, "Tesla is working on it. Maybe 6 months. But you can pay us $2170 (tax and FM included) to get it now"

So once again your conclusion appears to be based on your assumption that everyone here purchased 2018+ FSD
Isn’t there a very long thread here about how legacy model s/x guys are getting new rccb cameras for FSD beta ?

Reactions: pilotSteve
Purchase agreement.

FWIW i take this change to mean they dont want to upgrade things that are not required for you to use FSD (not FSD Beta) but might be on newer cars, like if you got the intel chipset but want the AMD one, its newer yes but technically both can run everything right now... i bet they get a lot of people who want upgrades simply because its new, not because its impacting their usage. imo

Reactions: pilotSteve