Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12K for FSD is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any announcement of a new 4.0 FSD CPU?
@momo3605 Why did you 'Disagree' and @Daniel in SD you find this 'Funny' ?

Seed below previous announcements:

Has anyone noticed the wave of upcoming EV competition that is including their own version of hands free driving with much lower costs?

I have a Ford F150 Lightning reserved. I'm hoping to take delivery by the end of 2022 well before Cybertruck ships. Ford BlueCruise offers 3 years for free and after that a TBD subscription price. There is a good chance that I trade it for something else after 3 years and lose nothing for the use of Ford's FSD.

GM SuperCruise $25 a month.

I just took delivery on a new Model S. The Tesla FSD pricing is insane for beta software that is not owned by the customer and not transferable to another Tesla vehicle. From my own EV car shopping experience, FSD is nearly worthless on a used Tesla that is sold outside of the Tesla owned dealerships.

Elon Musk would be smart to change his FSD business model while Tesla still has the early advantage. I suspect that he will be forced to "get real" by the end of 2023 or 2024 when the real competition arrives.

Has anyone noticed the wave of upcoming EV competition that is including their own version of hands free driving with much lower costs?

I’ve heard a lot of talk…

I have a Ford F150 Lightning reserved. I'm hoping to take delivery by the end of 2022 well before Cybertruck ships. Ford BlueCruise offers 3 years for free and after that a TBD subscription price. There is a good chance that I trade it for something else after 3 years and lose nothing for the use of Ford's FSD.

The cyber truck could be shipping by the end of 2022….

And it’s not as good as autopilot…

I just took delivery on a new Model S. The Tesla FSD pricing is insane for beta software that is not owned by the customer and not transferable to another Tesla vehicle. From my own EV car shopping experience, FSD is nearly worthless on a used Tesla that is sold outside of the Tesla owned dealerships.

What is your experience? Have sold a model 3, I can tell you the FSD Package is not worthless in the after market.

I'd estimate my driving score at about a 36 and I am sure I would never ever be chosen as a beta tester for FSD.
But then again why would I want it. For the privilege of driving like a grandfather??
BTW, no accidents or citations in 40 years. I did however get counseled to put up my window (ooops) on my first quarter mile World Record Breaking (Quickest SUV-Raven) run at the Palm Beach International Raceway. I am remorseful. Amazing, I was the only one there with a handicap permit!
1641915609771.jpeg

I never leave a light slowly. Tesla driving is just way too much fun to put a governor on it. To each their own.

Elon Musk would be smart to change his FSD business model while Tesla still has the early advantage. I suspect that he will be forced to "get real" by the end of 2023 or 2024 when the real competition arrives.
Sounds like good old competition at its best. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Reactions: roc-noc
I love that Elon is hitting us up for $12K right now. My 2022 S LR (FSD not purchased) is in the Tesla shop right now with a poorly designed remote charge-port opening 'feature' (it only operates about 10% of the time). My remarks to the Tesla technician(s) using the stupid app:

Your performance fixing the charge-port open-mechanism to operate with the charger handle is a proxy for your ability to do FSD.

Reactions: hcdavis3

I like what Ive read about the lightning but How much over MSRP is your dealer hitting you for? (and dont say "none at all". We wont believe you).

I like driving so FSD doesn't really appeal to me, but something like EAP does. The only time I want the car driving for me is on the highway when I have 100s of miles to drive or in stop and go. Hard no on city driving though.

Other auto makers are providing exactly what I want... hands off, highway only AP. I also have a car with OpenPilot on it and it's brilliant on highways (no hands needed).

I did have the green light chime until they "fixed the glitch". I really did like that, but not for $12k. I also don't think that's really "FSD", Tesla just wanted to sweeten the pot for those that paid $1000s of dollars for a promised system that hasn't been realized yet.

Im just enjoying my appreciation of my 7k purchase to 12k now, on top of general used car appreciation especially for Teslas :D

What really matters is that you are paying for something that will give a lot more value then 12k, and that's how Elon sees it. Whether we are a year away or 5 is a problem for people paying for something that won't even come within the lifetime of the car which is screwed up and needs to be fixed (with FSD subs there is no reason for Tesla not to tie such a large purchase to an account instead of car). Once it does come it will be worth 20-30k IMO though.

Just being able to tell your car to go pick up your kids from school would be worth that on a yearly basis let alone one time purchase, and then you have things like plugging into the FSD car share fleet for income.

Once it does come it will be worth 20-30k IMO though.

Just being able to tell your car to go pick up your kids from school would be worth that on a yearly basis let alone one time purchase, and then you have things like plugging into the FSD car share fleet for income.

I don't think anyone is doubting the future value of L4 autonomy would be quite high, especially as a robotaxi. But with FSD Beta, vision only, and consistent issues with visibility around corners and mild weather conditions, will a current generation Tesla EVER be L4 and be able to operate as a a robotaxi? I think the chances are pretty low tbh.

And hypothetically speaking, if your current gen Tesla can never operate as a robotaxi and is stuck as an L2 Driver Assistance feature, while others with Lidar and 3D Mapping end up with L3/L4 on Highways (for example), you can see how people can doubt the value of spending $12k on something that may not actually be worth $20k-$30k in the future, let alone what they're asking for it right now.