Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know what it updated? I have mine setup to install tonite. I'm hoping some gremlins will sneak into my garage and install AP2 cameras on my classic since that email from the other day said ALL Teslas have FSD hardware lol.

I just installed the 24.28 update. It just had the one sentence about general improvements. I have a classic S85. The only thing I noticed is the Easter egg drawer. Only three items in it. Bond car, Mars and sketch pad. I'll see if there may be any other improvements (kernel) tomorrow.

Reactions: skitch23
I'm in Dubai and have a loaner MS 90D with AP2 and it's running 17.24.28. Local autosteer works on local roads at any speed I've tried. I haven't noticed it favoring the right side of the lane on the highway, but on local roads I've noticed it hugs the curb pretty closely.

I've had one incident already where on a local road TACC didn't see a bus stopped in front of me and I had to brake hard.

Reactions: Algbc
Got 17.24.28 on my AP1 X. Release notes are the generic one sentence about fixes and improvements. Only thing I noticed new is AP now limits my speed to 40 mph on local roads/highways which were unlimited before. I can manually drive >40 using the accelerator, and autosteer stays engaged and functional, however.

Seems to be at full throttle, as it were, and for all cars; what it contains, is another question.

upload_2017-6-21_15-42-27.png

upload_2017-6-21_15-42-56.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Aeg07046
i have a couple curvy test roads i will try with mine, (just got the update this afternoon after my SC pushed it to my car). I will see if it keeps the speed up a little more instead of dropping the speed dramatically...

also will look out for poor road line conditions, following the car in front of me, etc.

I just installed the 24.28 update. It just had the one sentence about general improvements. I have a classic S85. The only thing I noticed is the Easter egg drawer. Only three items in it. Bond car, Mars and sketch pad. I'll see if there may be any other improvements (kernel) tomorrow.
Same here '13 P85. Not sure what other enhancements other than behind-the-scenes software fixes

I am on a AP1 Model S 75. I got the update push to me yesterday when checking in at a service center. No detectable difference except today, to my annoyance, on the SF bay bridge the auto pilot speed semi dropped to 60 mph. I was able to manually tweak it back to 70, but that had never happened before.

I've noticed on the test roads that I use that the lane centering is much better, in fact in one spot where i normally run off the edge of the road noticeably jerked the wheel away and kept me in the middle of the lane.

what I've noticed in general is that it holds just a bit more to the left of the lane which is very reassuring knowing my rims aren't in danger of rubbing on the curbs.

I will be testing some curvy roads next and will report back...

Reactions: hiroshiy
Driving a AP2 MX right now as i'm getting a window gasket replaced, and the Autopilot is much better than when i've ever used it before, but "silky smooth" is only if the roads are perfect.

it's pretty terrifying on badly marked roads and has so far in the last hour directed me into oncoming traffic, hopped like a bunny rabbit in narrow lanes and under bridges, and slowed down to 19-20 mph on corners i normally can do at 29-32mph in my AP1 car. lol

oh well...

Last edited:
Driving a AP2 MX right now as i'm getting a window gasket replaced, and the Autopilot is much better than when i've ever used it before, but "silky smooth" is only if the roads are perfect.

it's pretty terrifying on badly marked roads and has so far in the last hour directed me into oncoming traffic, hopped like a bunny rabbit in narrow lanes and under bridges, and slowed down to 19-20 mph on corners i normally can do at 29-32mph in my AP1 car. lol

oh well...

Yeah… Well it sounds like the control algorithm under well-defined situations did indeed improve. But there was no magical improvement in lane detection / the vision aspect / path planning part itself.

Before this, even on well-defined roads, AP2 steered in a very jerky manner unless you held the wheel tight, and would frequently transition from accelerating to slamming the brakes pretty hard when trying to slow down.

Yeah… Well it sounds like the control algorithm under well-defined situations did indeed improve. But there was no magical improvement in lane detection / the vision aspect / path planning part itself.

Before this, even on well-defined roads, AP2 steered in a very jerky manner unless you held the wheel tight, and would frequently transition from accelerating to slamming the brakes pretty hard when trying to slow down.

Another thing I've noticed is that in stop and go situations there is a long pause when the car in front pulls away, then it suddenly jerks forward. In my car, it moves along almost in time with the car ahead, with only the slightest pause and it's certainly more cautious when pulling away...not jerky.

I drive a HW1 Model S that recently got this update. My commute is on a freeway that has many sweeping turns. On many previous releases, the car would go towards the inside of the turn (turning a little too soon) at the beginning of the turn. It would go back to properly centered partway through the turn. Its display would show it was off center as would my eyes watching the road. The behavior was pretty consistent, happening about 80% of the time. It never went over the line, but if another car was beside me I sometimes took over.
With the new release, 17.24.28, it now stays centered 80% of the time, a big improvement.
I've found steering to be smooth for quite some time, so can't claim it has become smoother.