Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AP experience is different for me but maybe not better. But, I did see some more advanced behaviors. I have a very curvy entry to my neighborhood; sharp S curves at 45 mph. AP1 could not handle it at all. AP2 17.17.17 handled it very well with one glitch. AP2 17.24.28 handles it well but in addition, the car automatically slowed around sharp curves. Previous did not. So, it seems they are improving AP2 some to handle more real world scenarios in regards to speed reduction based on curve. One thing that has never been handled well regardless of AP1 or AP2 is they don't seem to handle yellow colored lines or double lines. AP1 would lose the yellow line altogether but handled the doubles lines well. AP2 handles the yellow lines well but sucks with double lines. It is like it can't decide which line to follow and switches back and forth. One great improvement from AP1 to AP2 is AP2 does read unusual line markings. We had a highway that changed the lane patterns to add a new lane. All lanes shifted to the right and did not match the cement expansion marks. AP1 would not follow the new clearly marked lanes that shifted. AP2 had no issues at all. AP2 followed the new lane markings every time confidently.

I wanted to share some of my observations that you might find interesting.

Is the web browser something you utilize a lot? I'm genuinely curious, I've pulled that thing up maybe twice, but that's it.

The answer mostly is NO, because it sucks. But I've been using the tesla winds tracker for roadtrips for a couple months. It's a very simple and useful webpage in a very slow and buggy browser. I only have to try like 8 times over 2 minutes to get it to load the first time when I get in the car.

A week after the silky smooth, fleet wide rollout! But nothing for us AP2.0 owners yet...
Teslas communication is just a joke!
They should give us realistic deadlines and keep us informed! That's the least they should do for people who spent a fortune for their cars...

The updates are for Tesla, not for you. Tesla promises and takes away features to suit their business purposes. This is why you don't need any release notes.

18% slower? How could you possibly determine that? And why would you bother?

You can run a speed test on Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test to check the speed of your internet connection. If you had done this before an update and wrote down the internet speed, you could compare it with new releases by running it again.

I sold my AP1 S85D car in December 2016 and purchased an AP2 Tesla S90D. The AP2 car is supposed to have a computer with 4 times the processing power. I have noticed that when the navigation system adds new tiles to the 17" screen, it does this a lot slower than on my AP1 car. You would think it would add the tiles a lot faster with 4 times the processing power.

Got the 17.24.28 software Friday on my MX AP2

Some of my feedback so far traveling on a mixture of highways and local roads...

> highway driving is much smoother with acceleration / deceleration. Not perfect but acts more like a 20 year old vs a teenager driving
> feels pretty stable, more like the AP1 cars I have experienced on the same roads
> on local roads I got pretty mixed results. On the same roads I tested 17.17.17, this rease doesn't feel as stable. I've noticed 24.28 loves to hug the left lane line. Anyone noticed this? It also bounces around with double yellow center lines.
> also tried this release on a rural road with good lane markings. This was a pretty nasty test as I'm sure no Tesla has ever driven these roads before as i had a ton of false positives.

I have to say though I think the AP system is really trying hard to figure out lane markings, and this is a step in the he right direction.