Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I saw yesterday was a little too accurate to be explained purely by a map change. The speed was perfectly synced with passing the sign. Like, down to the foot. I've never seen GPS be anywhere near as accurate as it'd have to be for what I was seeing. And not just once, it was perfect like that every single time.
I have several streets that I frequently travel that have posted speed limits that are not in the database.
With the past releases it would show 40 on one such street (posted limit is 25).
Now the behavior is different. It does not show any limit now, I need to attach some debugging to see if internally it still sees something, but I doubt it. Internally it says that the implicit limit IS 25 now (because of road class I imagine).
It's also interesting that I was driving on one such street with no speed limit showing, then I parked at a store and once I got back into the car it now suddenly detected 40 mph limit, so it appears that if you are driving or if you are starting driving the detection is a bit different (or gps less precise?)

Reactions: bsf29
I have several streets that I frequently travel that have posted speed limits that are not in the database.
With the past releases it would show 40 on one such street (posted limit is 25).
Now the behavior is different. It does not show any limit now, I need to attach some debugging to see if internally it still sees something, but I doubt it. Internally it says that the implicit limit IS 25 now (because of road class I imagine).
It's also interesting that I was driving on one such street with no speed limit showing, then I parked at a store and once I got back into the car it now suddenly detected 40 mph limit, so it appears that if you are driving or if you are starting driving the detection is a bit different (or gps less precise?)
I just submitted some speed corrections to TomTom. Will see what happens.

Ideally, Tesla could keep a database of signs/speed and flag changes when detected, either manually or automatically after observed by X number of Tesla cars going by.

Reactions: alcibiades
I am using standard steering also and it jerks in my AP2 car with 17.24.28. I would recommend letting us know the software version and if you have an AP1 or AP2 car.

I'm on 17.26.76 (I had assumed that was obvious since this thread is about 17.26.76 but WTHDIK>?) on an AP2 car. Of note (and perhaps this is different than others), I do lane changes with autosteer on the way I read in the manual. I push the turn signal and hold it against the detent (so it doesn't spring back to the center position, but not of the detent which locks it blinking). I hold it against the detent until the lane signal in the direction I want to go turns from blue to a broken blue line, the car changes lanes and the broken blue line turns solid again. I've ridden with others who release the turn signal before the blue line turns solid again and the car does seem to jerk when they do that.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno and CSFTN
I feel like any level of financial incentive won't make up for the fundamental feeling of deceit in the way that Tesla originally announced/advertised AP2/EAP features. There's already a class action lawsuit of plantiffs who feel they would not have bought Teslas at all if they had known of the state of AP2, so just mild goodwill gestures of package discounts would not make those people happy.

Forget EAP.......The fact that up until 3ish weeks ago AEB didn't function over 28mph is a downright embarrassment.... Tesla greatly oversold the driver assistance and safety tech across the board (useless attempt at blind spot detection, rain sensing wipers that don't sense rain, etc)

I drove over the highway today on a local road and while physically over the highway my dash changed to 55mph limit. Good grief.

TomTom sucks for AP.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Mark Z
I drove over the highway today on a local road and while physically over the highway my dash changed to 55mph limit. Good grief.

TomTom sucks for AP.
I've been wondering how they would implement multiple systems. Is navigation all TomTom? I know center screen is Google.

But if they are merging multiple sources, may just have lat/long to go by for speed lookup?

I've been wondering how they would implement multiple systems. Is navigation all TomTom? I know center screen is Google.

But if they are merging multiple sources, may just have lat/long to go by for speed lookup?
There really are multiple systems.
The "google maps" on the CID is just pictures from google, but the actual routing is separate, it decides where to go and then just draws that on top of google tiles on CID. Then there's a routing algorithm and separate service to poll current road congestion status.
Ind then theres the supercharging lists that's yet another service.
So the routing plots a few candidate routes, then checks congestion to better see times and picks the fastest one.
There are:
* Navigon - Currently in North America, I think in Europe and Australia too. Maps dated as Q4 2015 for North America and Europe, Q1 2015 for Australia.
* Electrobit - not really sure when it is used.
* Something else for China (maps Q3 2016)
* Something for Japan (not sure of maps date)
* Mapbox/valhalla based Tesla maps (currently for Taiwan, but you can dump Model 3 maps for North America and switch to this on S/X) - maps dated June 2017,

The routing algorithm is decided based on available maps and region.

And that's just for navigation. for autopilot and determining speed limits it might be something else too (tomtom needs to plug somewhere, right?)

Found this sample in the logs:
Code:
2017-07-10TXX:XX:XX-07:00 cid QtCar[2426]: [DataValueManager] INFO DAS_accState now 'On' (was 'CancelGeneric')
2017-07-10TXX:XX:XX-07:00 cid QtCar[2426]: [TMCMapMatchManager] INFO Updated best target location, targeting 111Y22222
2017-07-10TXX:XX:XX-07:00 cid QtCarVehicle[617]: [DataValueManager] INFO DASMap_speedLimit now '35' (was '0')
2017-07-10TXX:XX:XX-07:00 cid QtCarEVLogService[1628]: [VehicleLoggingThread] INFO DBGPWR Writing Driving log entry. Elapsed time (secs)= 42.25 odometer/valid= ZZZZ.ZZ true lastodometer= ZZZZ.Z
2017-07-10TXX:XX:XX-07:00 cid QtCarVehicle[617]: [DataValueManager] INFO DASMap_speedLimit now '0' (was '35')

Last edited:
...really, want to see this improve significantly soon.
Another drive today, this time on the 57, 60, and 10 through extensive traffic. I felt relaxed in the traffic jams and arrived at my destination refreshed, a total change from a manual drive vehicle. The jerkiness I posted before was to be honest, however the entire AP2 experience is better than my early 2016 AP1 days when I couldn't trust it on some curves or heading toward an off-ramp. If Tesla removes the recent weaving to search for lane lines with AP2, that will help greatly.

What is almost perfect is the lane tracking after the driver figures out how to monitor what is going on. Seems the right line takes precedent if the lane is narrow and the left one if the lane is wide. With the right rear view mirror lined up to view the right lane line next to the vehicle, it helps to monitor the action. If there is a false line, like a concrete seam to the left of the right paint line, the system may get fooled and end up hugging the left lane line. Vehicle centering is much improved with properly marked lanes.

Feel like a noob, just found this thread; I posted elsewhere about my issues but I think this is the relevant place. AP2 17.26.76 ( just confirmed on the app)

1. Autolane change - two days ago it made a pretty smooth lane change (the abrupt kind vs. the smooth one). However it jumped back to the original lane. There were no cars in either lane. The tires still in the process of getting aligned in the second lane when this happened, creating a bad swerving effect. The turn signal was in the right place all the time.

2. Parallel Parking Fail - slowly tried to parallel park. The "P" pops up and I hit start after shifting to reverse. It tried to PERPENDICULAR Park in the middle of the street. It intended to have the rear on the yellow median. I skipped a heart beat and took over immediately.

Filed both bugs and am waiting for the call back. This is the first time I have actually scared of the driver assist features.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane and croman
Lane changes are extremely abrupt for me, to the point that my wife does not want me to use it when she's with me. I have been locking the turn signal on until completing the change. Is it "smoother", less abrupt if just holding but not locking the signal on? Will try it next chance I get.

I haven't seen any mention of the new Easter Egg - or rather a new menu for the existing Easter Eggs. To access:
  • Double-tap the "T" on the vehicle's center screen
  • Press and hold on the gripper pattern at the center of the top edge of the "About your Tesla" window
  • Drag down the gripper to reveal fireworks animation
  • Move your finger around the animation to reveal a trail of sparkly magic
  • Tap the revealed icons to access the corresponding Easter Egg

Video here

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Got 17.26.76 last night, and tried it out to and from work today. Here's my observations so far:

Over all, Autosteer is better than it was up through 17.17.4 (my last update)

Dash display is more stable, vehicle in front seems brighter and more defined, lane markings more consistant

On freeway, in middle lanes, steering is much smoother, but definitely not "like silk" - it still corrects a lot, but less "jerky".

Here in CA, it still hates the carpool lane. Every update has been the same - it stays too close to the left divider wall, and frequently disconnects Autosteer for that reason, especially for right curves.

Does not anticipate sharper turns at all - on the road, or on the display. For me, this is the biggest issue and the thing that makes me feel the most insecure using Autosteer.

Seems to read speed limits better - not sure if it actually "sees" the signs, or if the Tom Tom mapping has been updated for better accuracy, but it appears to have improved.

Lane changes are quicker, and speed ups and slow downs are more dramatic. The lane changes only seem to have an issue if they encounter curvature during the change - otherwise very smooth and accurate. The TACC / Autosteer slow down is a little scary sometimes - I preferred it erring on the side of caution, with longer, more gradual speed reduction. I do like the quicker speed up response, as it used to seem to "stall" at speed after changing to an open lane while sensing what was in front before reacting, and that "lag" seems to have been reduced.

It worked reasonably well on the streets for me, but with no stoplight / stop sign recognition, I don't use it much off the freeway because I have to stay more involved than without it. So I try it to see if it feels better than previous updates, and it felt like it stayed in the lanes better when markings were poor.

Overall, I feel this is a step in the right direction, so I'm optimistic again. I only wish Mr. Musk would be more forthcoming on the progress being made, the actual release dates for updates, and what we should really expect the updated features to do, good and bad, so we do not feel disappointed or fearful when using them.

Looking forward to rain-sensing wipers, and being able to navigate curves and the carpool lane soon...

A
You were told that it was still in development when you purchased your car, right?

Wrong. We were told, in writing, that the software was awaiting "final validation", which was expected within a few weeks. It's hard to see that as anything but a deliberate fraud, now that we know development was actually just beginning, and would take many months.

It's important to understand how this misstatement of facts affected buying decisions. Speaking for myself, had I been told, "Your car will be missing safety features like EAB for many months, and seven months from delivery it may finally be close to the car you test drove in AP features, and the new EAP features you're paying for, like automatically going from one freeway to another will not even be spoken of anymore" I would have cancelled my order.

I don't understand why owners of long standing and new owners should be at odds with each other. Our focus should be on Tesla's behavior. I know my grandpa walked to school uphill in both directions in the snow, but that doesn't invalidate my concerns about my kids' school bus being driven by that guy from the Simpsons.

When Musk says our cars will take us door to door unassisted in a few years we can chalk it up to irrational exhuberance. When he says that non-existent software that needs a year to develop should be released in a few weeks that's something else.

The new TomTom speed limit database is so bad, Tesla should provide a setting to completely disable use of the speed limits so we can turn it off.

On the surface road near our house, the speed limit is 40 and the database has it as 55, so TACC wants to set the speed to 60, which is clearly a problem. On a nearby highway, the speed limit is 65 and the database has it as 45, so AutoSteer immediately slows down 20 MPH, which is unexpected for cars following.

If EAP and FSD are going to use the navigation system for determining speed and routing, the current combination of Google maps, Google location searches, Navigon routing software, Garmin maps that are approaching 2 years old, Tesla user interface (which is likely limiting the functionality being used in the navigation system - still no waypoints or route customization), and now TomTom speed limit data - isn't going to cut it.

Tesla really needs to replace this "FrankeNAV" system with something that is using accurate and up-to-date data. The Google maps and location data are updated very quickly - so you see the up-to-date maps on the console and voice searches for destinations usually detect even very recent new destinations. But the rest of the system is using out-of-date information, which produces bad routes, ignoring recent road changes - including movement of highway entry/exit ramps or transitions between highways, which are supposed to be supported by EAP.

Since keeping all of the cars up-to-date with the most recent data is likely impractical, especially with the increasing number of Model 3's that will soon be on the market, it seems the only solution will be to add a cloud server for the navigation system. If the Internet is connected, then a cloud server could perform the actual navigation routing - and provide up-to-date information for the area immediately around the car, which is actually a pretty small amount of data, and something that shouldn't consume a lot of bandwidth to support (vs. frequently pushing an update of the entire map database, which contains 99.999% of data that will never be used).

I'm on 17.26.76 (I had assumed that was obvious since this thread is about 17.26.76 but WTHDIK>?) on an AP2 car. Of note (and perhaps this is different than others), I do lane changes with autosteer on the way I read in the manual. I push the turn signal and hold it against the detent (so it doesn't spring back to the center position, but not of the detent which locks it blinking). I hold it against the detent until the lane signal in the direction I want to go turns from blue to a broken blue line, the car changes lanes and the broken blue line turns solid again. I've ridden with others who release the turn signal before the blue line turns solid again and the car does seem to jerk when they do that.

Just an FYI that this is markedly different (i.e. opposite) behavior from the lane switcheroo feature in previous releases where momentary depression of the turn signal stalk did nothing.

Just an FYI that this is markedly different (i.e. opposite) behavior from the lane switcheroo feature in previous releases where momentary depression of the turn signal stalk did nothing.
When you said "momentary depression of the turn signal stalk did nothing", do you mean that you couldn't initiate an auto lane change by just holding the stalk down temporarily or are you saying nothing changed in the display? Holding down the turn stalk temporarily has always initiated auto lane change, even on AP1 cars: Auto lane change question | Tesla. The display has shown the dashed blue lines for me for several months, at least since early May, when I was on 17.17.4.

I haven't seen any mention of the new Easter Egg - or rather a new menu for the existing Easter Eggs. To access:
  • Double-tap the "T" on the vehicle's center screen
  • Press and hold on the gripper pattern at the center of the top edge of the "About your Tesla" window
  • Drag down the gripper to reveal fireworks animation
  • Move your finger around the animation to reveal a trail of sparkly magic
  • Tap the revealed icons to access the corresponding Easter Egg

Video here

Its been there for a while now (8.1 first release).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I definitely criticize Tesla for the way EAP/AP2 was represented at announcement. They did warn that the cars will not ship with any safety features or automation features, but claimed that was because the software was pending validation and that EAP was to roll out in December pending validation.

Most reasonable people read that to mean that the software is basically ready to go, but needs bake time / real world proving. But what we saw and what Tesla eventually admitted was that basically at time of announcement, there was zero work done, and they've been racing to rebuild AP from scratch since then. This seems highly dishonest to me and I completely understand why the early adopters of AP2 (or those who got volunteered into an AP2 upgrade at time of order) feel deceived.

That isn't what happened. After the well-publicized falling out with MobileEye (AP1) due to that notorious fatal crash, Tesla decided to keep installing the MobileEye chip in AP2 cars until they had their new software at par. MobileEye basically decided to screw with Tesla by informing them that they could no longer buy their chip.

I can see MobileEye's point - why would they help Tesla while they designed a competing product? But Tesla was left scrambling to fill the void, and AP2 customers took the brunt of it.