Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a couple hundred miles of freeway driving this weekend. There was no question the AP was improved with the latest update.
The lane changing is definitely more aggressive, but I thought it felt very sure and solid. Not sure if it was an improvement because I thought it worked pretty well before. Way better in stop and go traffic now. The difference was like night and day. Everything about AP feels silkier and smoother to me.

I'm hoping maybe this "learning/calibrating" period some have been referring to is what's going on, I probably only have 100-200 miles since the update, and mostly city driving. Will be doing a Vegas trip in a week from LA, so will have more to report back then.

As for lane changing, overall I like the aggressiveness ok for squeezing in better, but occasionally it hesitates mid lane change (especially in highway curves with traffic) and almost snaps (along with my neck) into its final position. It's not consistent tho, sometimes I pat the steering wheel and say "good job!" And other times I scold the girl after letting out some expletives. Never a dull moment tho, just glad most the time I have no passengers like others have had to unfortunately apologize to.

I'm 1,000 miles into the update, so any hope for improvement via calibration is over I think. I used to have an app for my phone that recorded the accelerometer readings from my iPhone. If my "real life" can spare the time, I'll find it and try to get some readings while driving.

Goodness knows that I'm very much against the "autopilot is a death sentence!" comments, and I don't want my criticisms to be taken out of context. It hasn't tried to kill me. It hasn't put me in an unsafe situation. But, this release makes me seriously question the development roadmap of AP2.

Generally in software you start with a smallish set of functionality with a certain degree of completeness. Then completeness gets fleshed out and new functions are added. In this version, it's like a new set of functions have been added (curve handling) while completeness in other areas has been thrown out the window (exit ramp following, or stop and go braking).

Unit testing is a technique in code development whereby a test environment feeds a code-base a set of arguments and then tests output values against anticipated values. Then as development continues tests build upon tests to ensure quality. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't developed a set of videos from cameras that it runs updates against to check for regressions. So when an update is shown an exit ramp and the update says "turn the wheel!", then that update is no good. If Tesla were employing unit testing, I'd be pretty sure all the bugs we're seeing would have been apparent.

I've said it for months, but I'll say it again: I wish Tesla would post a blog post or send an email explaining exactly what the heck is really going on because it sure doesn't make sense from where I'm standing.

I'm 1,000 miles into the update, so any hope for improvement via calibration is over I think. I used to have an app for my phone that recorded the accelerometer readings from my iPhone. If my "real life" can spare the time, I'll find it and try to get some readings while driving.

Goodness knows that I'm very much against the "autopilot is a death sentence!" comments, and I don't want my criticisms to be taken out of context. It hasn't tried to kill me. It hasn't put me in an unsafe situation. But, this release makes me seriously question the development roadmap of AP2.

Generally in software you start with a smallish set of functionality with a certain degree of completeness. Then completeness gets fleshed out and new functions are added. In this version, it's like a new set of functions have been added (curve handling) while completeness in other areas has been thrown out the window (exit ramp following, or stop and go braking).

Unit testing is a technique in code development whereby a test environment feeds a code-base a set of arguments and then tests output values against anticipated values. Then as development continues tests build upon tests to ensure quality. I don't understand how Tesla hasn't developed a set of videos from cameras that it runs updates against to check for regressions. So when an update is shown an exit ramp and the update says "turn the wheel!", then that update is no good. If Tesla were employing unit testing, I'd be pretty sure all the bugs we're seeing would have been apparent.

I've said it for months, but I'll say it again: I wish Tesla would post a blog post or send an email explaining exactly what the heck is really going on because it sure doesn't make sense from where I'm standing.
I totally agree with you on the need for a blog or more transparency in the progress of autopilot... perhaps it's because I'm nearing the 8000 mile mark after 4 months of ownership, but today I found myself annoyed like many people elsewhere on the forum. It's very disappointing when there is a regression. The lane change function is more assertive but also does not pass the passenger comfort test.

My guess is that Tesla is walking a tightrope that is delicate and important. . there are a couple of high profile accidents, people posting dangerous stunts on youtube, an excited customer base clamoring for more functionality, engineers being sued for stealing, very high profile changes in direction, and every major auto player is moving towards autonomous driving... what a tough situation!

I like the incremental updates coming frequently... I just wish there was more communication on everything that is changing and maybe a little video that drivers are required to watch at each update...

Just imagine! It would be kind of like the "duck and cover" videos in the 1950s... you guys know what I am talking about?

Think of "Leave it to Beaver"

The video starts in black and white... with music... then a man's voice...

"say Sport.... you're getting older, and beginning to wonder about "autonomous driving?" Just remember, to always "keep your hands on the wheel" and "always check before auto-lane changing" ....

Then the video goes to the educational portion with music in the background...

"Take a look at Joe driving along" ... he's about to do an "auto lane change"... but he forgot to check his blind spot... cut video of explosion and mushroom cloud...

remember kids... always "check your blindspot" and "keep your hands on the wheel"...

Last edited:
Can anyone post a video of what one of these abrupt lane changes that are causing so much consternation look like? I just used AP again today (AP2 car, 17.26.76 software) and made three lane changes and all of them were non-events. I'll try to remember and take my phone out tomorrow and film it, but I honestly can't see what all the fuss it about. It may very well be that there are cars out there with some sort of hardware issue (camera alignment maybe) that are having these abrupt issues, but I'm just not seeing it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Aeg07046 and EinSV
Can anyone post a video of what one of these abrupt lane changes that are causing so much consternation look like? I just used AP again today (AP2 car, 17.26.76 software) and made three lane changes and all of them were non-events. I'll try to remember and take my phone out tomorrow and film it, but I honestly can't see what all the fuss it about. It may very well be that there are cars out there with some sort of hardware issue (camera alignment maybe) that are having these abrupt issues, but I'm just not seeing it.
I can't figure it out...I'm going to go out and test lane change tomorrow. 17.17.4 for me did lane changes very well... Never a complaint. True that sometimes it was a "bad hombre" and pulled in front of an upcoming car in the new lane but generally very good. The 17.26.76 lane change is abrupt and a little wild at times.

The other issue I noted was hesitation and jerkiness at some overpasses and as the front car it was "following" exited right. Very rarely if ever happened with 17.17.4.

Oh well, fingers crossed for an improved future update.

Has anyone been using auto park with AP2? ...curious.....kind of hesitant to try
Works well once you got used to triggering it. Perpendicular is fine. Parallel is OK, not always perfectly parallel to curb. Both work slower than manual parking though. I wish you can have it park after you get out of the car, because if I have to sit in the car to watch/wait, then there is little point of auto park. Also easier to judge for issues when you are outside.

Ap2 model s June 2017, 17.26.76

Reactions: mrkisskiss

Transparency is badly needed. It kind of feels like they are trying to hide something.

All this is very unfortunate.

In my AP1 my passengers hardly ever know or even notice that I am not driving but the car is driving itself. All this even after 30+ miles of driving and several lane changes.

Most often I end up telling them, look no hands or feet.

Absolutely. Remember the early days of AP1 with the knuckleheads going down the freeway while sitting in the backseat? That level of confidence in the system is entirely absent in AP2, which makes it a useless feature for me and an utter disappointment.

Lane changing could definitely be improved, it's certainly abrupt... I don't think it's scary or dangerous... but it can be a weird experience the first few times - it's a far more aggressive shift than I'd do. Then again, it's more aggressive than I am on the brakes, and the accelerator, and it can also leave too much of a gap when you're in stop/go traffic from the car in front (even on the 1 car setting - which shouldn't really make any difference in traffic anyway because stopping distances are moot), which can look a bit weird to the guy behind.

It works - and generally works well... but it still drives like an inexperienced driver at the moment. It's still not as smooth and nice as AP1 was (in its heyday). Hopefully future updates will bring refinements -- it needs to read the book on road etiquette! I also would love to see more information on the IC about what it's seen around us - it would be reassuring. Presumably there's a fancy new interface that will come out with the launch of model 3.

I wonder if the software team have a superstar team that develop the feature and get it working, then it gets handed off to another team who refine things based on a feedback testing cycle.

Anyway - I agree with the above posters that some communication from Tesla would be useful.

My try on a video.

All this is very unfortunate.

In my AP1 my passengers hardly ever know or even notice that I am not driving but the car is driving itself. All this even after 30+ miles of driving and several lane changes.

Most often I end up telling them, look no hands or feet.
That's how 17.17.4 was for me. I used it a good portion of the time on the drive from NJ to WI. The trip back was with 17.26.76 where I could only use it sporadically (lots of complaints from my better half). Last night, I was telling her AP was engaged most of the time on the drive out... She wouldn't believe me... She didn't even know it was on!