Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would this mean that the side-repeater cameras are in fact active?

Or is it just the ultrasonics at work here?
I always assumed that all the side cameras are reserved for FSD. I thought EAP used four cameras and those were the front three and the rear camera. But I guess the jury is still out on whether the rear camera is actually part of the autopilot system seeing as it's different from all the others (colour).

They were light grey or yellow, depending on proximity, while the new warning appears to be red. Presumably when the waning occurs, it means something is approaching your TESLA quickly enough to predict a collision if evasive action is not taken. My reading...

I'm on FW 17.3.15 and the ultrasonics blips turn orange and red depending on how close you are to an object it detects. I've definitely seen red before due to curbs next to my car while driving (not parking). They will turn to yellow and then gray/white as you move away from that detected object.

I always assumed that all the side cameras are reserved for FSD. I thought EAP used four cameras and those were the front three and the rear camera.

This is part of the text from the Tesla designer for EAP:

"Enhanced Autopilot adds new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. The enhancements include going from one to four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy, and to see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes."

I would think that they need the rear facing side cameras to achieve "see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes"

I would think that they need the rear facing side cameras to achieve "see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes"

No, you see, what they do is they rely on emplyees (or connections) stationed along the highways, equipped with handheld transcievers phoning in the traffic movements to Mr. Elon Musk.

What happens next is that Mr. Musk gets in touch with one of his staff members, having to do with the Autopilot Program.

This staff member then actuates the necessary switches and nobs, presenting that light spectacle in your dashboard.

No magic involved here, buddy

Last edited:
Five people reported getting it so far...must be a lot more people who don't report getting it too.

I was on 17.3.2 before I took my car to service center. Once it was there, I got an update installed noticed few days ago. It was before 17.5.28 came out, so I'm pretty sure that it was 17.3.15. And I got another notice on update installed last night. Since there are no other newer update, mine has to be on 17.5.28 as well. Since I can't verify it, I can't report it yet.

Didn't we always have the "fluid lines radiating" from the Model S image? Thought I guess they were were always a shade of gray whereas they are now color? So it's basically like a blind spot assist?
On my AP1 car, I get gray, yellow and red color radiating waves - this has been going on with the .22 release (perhaps even earlier).

I always assumed that all the side cameras are reserved for FSD. I thought EAP used four cameras and those were the front three and the rear camera. But I guess the jury is still out on whether the rear camera is actually part of the autopilot system seeing as it's different from all the others (colour).

Nope, in the EAP upgrade email they actually state which cameras are used. (Well pretty much since they only say two of the front facing cameras, not exactly which ones.)

EAP-WhichCameras.png

How long did the update take to complete? Mine has been running for about 15 mins and I have the proverbial "software update required contact service" message on my IC and my touch screen is still off.

Someone in this thread said it took about 20 minutes. Though 30-40 minutes isn't unheard of for an update. (Part of it depends on what version you are coming from, the older the version the more time it likely takes.)

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Installed a wifi repeater in my garage. Tesla is running wifi full blast. I am also in my car with my laptop and I get full strength too. I think I should be ok going forward for whenever Tesla gets around to beaming me this update. I'll go out of my way to keep adding safety features to my car.