Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$19.99 Aftermarket Cabin Air Filters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, The Tesla service center sells the filters for $17 each. I bought the pair for $34 during a recent visit...

At $34/pair for Tesla OEM filters I don’t get why people are bothering with these Amazon knockoffs. That’s a very reasonable price for an OEM pair of filters. If you were saving like $50 per set then maybe it’s worth trying third party filters but at those prices it seems silly.

hmm, I don't have a service center within what I'd consider driving distance of me (about 200 miles or so one way). I don't consider anything I can get "at a service center" to be convenient.

Reactions: go2realize
They sent a replacement set and didn't modify how they were packaged, so now I have two smashed sets. Hopefully I can straighten the second set out enough to function properly.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_1608031.jpg
    IMG_20191010_1608031.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 87
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
This is not a sales pitch. I have allergies and care a bit about filtration (my home has a 'night breeze' HVAC system with a Pure-Air filtration system with MERV 16 filters and UV lights and a catalytic grid). I wanted to change out my P3D+ filters (1 year) as the musty smell was developing. I did the Kool-IT cleaning and chose to install these:

Model 3 HEPA Cabin Air Filter Replacement

$$$ but I like the build quality and filtration material plus the activated charcoal. Foam sides/edges for a tight fit. So far, so good. YMMV.

This is not a sales pitch. I have allergies and care a bit about filtration (my home has a 'night breeze' HVAC system with a Pure-Air filtration system with MERV 16 filters and UV lights and a catalytic grid). I wanted to change out my P3D+ filters (1 year) as the musty smell was developing. I did the Kool-IT cleaning and chose to install these:

Model 3 HEPA Cabin Air Filter Replacement

$$$ but I like the build quality and filtration material plus the activated charcoal. Foam sides/edges for a tight fit. So far, so good. YMMV.
Be careful with HEPA filters in cars. They are not recommended as they reduce the airflow and causes the AC to work harder. They are actually not recommended usually by car manufacturers

Be careful with HEPA filters in cars. They are not recommended as they reduce the airflow and causes the AC to work harder.
Airflow resistance will be a function of pore size and pore number. Pore size is reduced in HEPA but pore # will be filter specific.

And an anecdote: I have worn HEPA face masks quite a bit and never noticed increased work of breathing. So an ~ 1 mmH20 pressure gradient that allows ~ 5 liters/min airflow is trivial.

• Informative
Reactions: MattUNI
Airflow resistance will be a function of pore size and pore number. Pore size is reduced in HEPA but pore # will be filter specific.

And an anecdote: I have worn HEPA face masks quite a bit and never noticed increased work of breathing. So an ~ 1 mmH20 pressure gradient that allows ~ 5 liters/min airflow is trivial.

Thx--and FWIW I assume that the Auto HVAC setting on my P3D+ will adjust fan speed/airflow as needed to maintain my preferred temperature, so if the new filters result in a slightly higher fan speed/workload, I'm not too worried.

Reactions: dhanson865
These are not true HEPA filters. They are better than stock but fall short of HEPA requirements. As such, they likely have less affect on air flow than a true HEPA...

Be careful with HEPA filters in cars. They are not recommended as they reduce the airflow and causes the AC to work harder. They are actually not recommended usually by car manufacturers

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
At $34/pair for Tesla OEM filters I don’t get why people are bothering with these Amazon knockoffs. That’s a very reasonable price for an OEM pair of filters. If you were saving like $50 per set then maybe it’s worth trying third party filters but at those prices it seems silly.

Given not all service centers have OEM filters in stock, and some folks live far away from a service center... I can understand using the knockoffs.

Personally, I bought a pair because I didn't feel like driving to the SC, and as far as I can tell them seem nearly identical to the OEM ones. The frame is maybe a little less sturdy, but that doesn't seem like it should cause issues.