Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old Tesla won't start [due to rodent damage]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a M3LR two weeks back. Last week won't start and it doesn't even display the drive modes at the top left hand side of the screen. Tried troubleshoot steps with an agent on call and had to tow the car. Today they sent me pics and said it is a rodent damage. It is not covered under warranty and the repair cost is around $2600. I have Tesla Insurance which has comprehensive coverage, though will need to pay deductible worth $1000. This sucks because there are >100 cars in my community and non of them face any rodent issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_5916.JPG
    IMG_5916.JPG
    547.5 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_5917.JPG
    IMG_5917.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_5918.JPG
    IMG_5918.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_5919.JPG
    IMG_5919.JPG
    407.6 KB · Views: 327
This has been a thing with modern cars for a while (tesla and others). Similar threads here on TMC:

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
Hate those little bastiches. Did $2000 damage to my Ford Expedition a few years back.
The Model 3 is nearly sealed on the bottom; we can hope someday Tesla assigns some engineer the job of finishing sealing it up so this problem goes away. A lot harder to do that on an ICE.

I got a M3LR two weeks back. Last week won't start and it doesn't even display the drive modes at the top left hand side of the screen. Tried troubleshoot steps with an agent on call and had to tow the car. Today they sent me pics and said it is a rodent damage. It is not covered under warranty and the repair cost is around $2600. I have Tesla Insurance which has comprehensive coverage, though will need to pay deductible worth $1000. This sucks because there are >100 cars in my community and non of them face any rodent issue.
Pictures aren't showing up, but it's rather unfortunate this happened with a brand new car. I would probably try some way to prevent this again in the future, as there is no guarantee it won't happen again.

Warranty unfortunately does not cover rodent damage, that's all on insurance.

My last two trucks (both Nissans) were basically ruined by rodent damage too. I always parked those outside. I haven't had similar issues with cars I park in the garage, and if I do ever see sings of mice in the garage I'm quick to get rid of them. But if your only option is to park outside, I never found a good way to prevent them. I tried scented sprays and rubber snakes and fake owls, but they just kept chewing up my wires. I've heard it has something to do with the chemistry of the wiring insulation, but I'm not sure if that's true.

My last two trucks (both Nissans) were basically ruined by rodent damage too. I always parked those outside. I haven't had similar issues with cars I park in the garage, and if I do ever see sings of mice in the garage I'm quick to get rid of them. But if your only option is to park outside, I never found a good way to prevent them. I tried scented sprays and rubber snakes and fake owls, but they just kept chewing up my wires. I've heard it has something to do with the chemistry of the wiring insulation, but I'm not sure if that's true.
The wiring insulation is made from soybeans, it's more environmentally-friendly, but unfortunately delicious to vermin.

Reactions: Baluchi
My buddy had this happen to his 2016 Honda Civic in Colorado. He was parked in my brother's driveway where no other car has had that issue. Turns out rodents LOVE Honda wiring. The dealer repaired the harness and wrapped it in Honda Rodent Repellent tape that costs $45+ a roll.
So in short, this happens to many modern vehicles.

Rodent Tape

4019-2317.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
The heater & A/C stopped blowing properly on my wife’s CRV several years back, and the fan was making a rhythmic thumping noise like a washing machine out of balance…I found a huge nest in the ductwork and a gruesome scene in the heater blower fan, which explained everything . Real fun cleaning that one out.

Last edited:

I've had a rodent mess up my prius a couple years ago. It was so, so gross. It got inside the cabin air filter area, made a nest there.

This isn't an EV or Tesla thing specifically, it is just life.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This solved my rodent problems. It was suggested by the guy who maintains my entry gate. He said the mice were building nests in the gate controller.
A food container with slits in the lid full of mothballs that sit under the car.
I buy the mothballs in bulk from Amazon.
the last picture is my ultimate weapon.
6BE0B61F-35FE-44DA-B1DC-A4F50D9D94E6.jpeg
85553B9F-0278-487F-86C9-7366D98960EB.jpeg
D7D336D3-6BF4-40AC-89BD-56ED304B5C0C.jpeg

Last edited: