Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch Uberturbine wheels on Model Y + optional thicker 45 profile sidewall.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, curious what your wh/mi is like with the 20's and also the CC2's. I've heard the CC2's are fairly inefficient.

And no rubbing anywhere, correct? I'm really excited to get this same set up.
I don’t pay much attention to the wh/m and drive accelerate hard whenever I get a safe opportunity, but I’ll isolate a few miles at 70mph and get back to you.

Nope, no rubbing at all

Loving my crossclimate 2’s at 255/45r20.

Attachments

• 37F55DA4-F83B-4355-BA95-FA2C2BC5630B.jpeg
    37F55DA4-F83B-4355-BA95-FA2C2BC5630B.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 2,062
Reactions: d34lyfe
Pretty good coming from 19" Gemini. Since I am in Socal weather here was primary sunny and dry so no benefit on "weather" tires. Overall it's been a great drive so far.
Thanks! I’m also socal but make frequent trips to the mountains and want a single wheel/tire setup that will perform decently in snow without sacrificing too much in terms of handling/performance everywhere else. Not sure how the (relatively) narrow tires would feel on the Performance.

Thanks! I’m also socal but make frequent trips to the mountains and want a single wheel/tire setup that will perform decently in snow without sacrificing too much in terms of handling/performance everywhere else. Not sure how the (relatively) narrow tires would feel on the Performance.
Are you comparing performance/handling between the stock staggered setup to a squared A/S setup, or are you comparing a squared summer setup to a squared A/S setup? I ask, because you are changing two attributes at the same time.

Comparing squared to squared, the only difference I think you'll notice is at the limit dry handling. That's how I felt on my other car, when I switched the staggered Pilot Sport Summers to a staggered Pilot Sport A/S. Dry handling was very good, but not quite as good as the summers. However I felt the wet handling was near identical... This was reflected in pretty much every review I've seen as well. In the case of the DWS 06-Plus, I saw the tirerack review, when you look at their charts and read their reviews, the DWS 06 Plus, exceeded the Pilot Sport A/S 4 in both dry and wet handling, so should translate into an even smaller gap in performance discrepancy between your summer and a/s setup...

The main factor you can't get around, is if you are comparing the staggered setup to a squared setup... I'm not sure how prone the Y is to rotate the back, as I've never taken mine to the limits yet... But if my Infiniti is any indicator, it's easier to rotate the back around when running on a squared setup then a staggered setup.

On a side note, on my commute this morning, I was pondering tires, and I realized something. Unlike other cars with a staggered setup, the Tesla uses the rear tires for regen braking, which means if you one pedal drive most of the time, the rears will probably wear faster than other RWD biased cars. Which means on a staggered setup, you'd go thru tires faster than other RWD staggered cars.

For me, personally, I got sick of the hassles associated with a staggered setup, which is why on my next car, I decided to go for a squared setup.

Reactions: Heintzer
Know this is an Ubertine thread, but figured i‘d take a shot. On a MY LR with 20” inductions (9.5” vs 9”uber) would it be best to go for the 245/45r20 or the 255/45r20s? I thought the load rating was too low but for the Michelin CC2 245/45r20 it’s 103V XL vs 105V XL on the 255s. I’m unsure of the ride difference/range/safety/etc. It looks like the speedo difference would be closer on the 245 at -2.3% vs -3.5% on the 255s.

Last edited:
Know this is an Ubertine thread, but figured i‘d take a shot. On a MY LR with 20” inductions (9.5” vs 9”uber) would it be best to go for the 245/45r20 or the 255/45r20s? I thought the load rating was too low but for the Michelin CC2 245/45r20 it’s 103V XL vs 105V XL on the 255s. I’m unsure of the ride difference/range/safety/etc. It looks like the speedo difference would be closer on the 245 at -2.3% vs -3.5% on the 255s.
Ignore this message, the 245s only fit up to 9” rims. Over 60 minutes so couldn’t delete. I guess 255s it is.

Hey folks, sorry I have been off this forum for awhile but I’m selling the tires and wheels with TPMS from the original post.

I ended up moving to NYC and sold my MY as a result of having no garage. :(
Wheels are now in storage ready to be sold 3000 OBO.

One of the wheels has some curb rash which is barely visible unless closely inspected (shown in pictures).

I tried 245/45/20 and took them off after one day. The car bounces too much and lost road feel. Especially with acceleration boost option the LRY wants to run fast and hard. I now put 255/40/20 Pilot Sport 4S on and it’s like a new car with instant torque and unreal grip.
You should compare the same tire brand and model, otherwise you maybe comparing apples to oranges

The 45 series tires will give you a slight increase in the side-wall height which in turn increases your rolling diameter.

245 x 0.45 = 110.25 mm
255 x 0.40 = 102 mm

The difference is negligible and should yield a much compliant ride on the road due to the increased height. I actually run a set of 265/40/20s all-season rubber on mine. I love the smoother ride and slightly wider tread width.

Hi, do you have pic of your 265/40/20 on the 20" uberturbine?

I checked and all other 21 wheels are 30-35 lbs. so it seems 3-7 lbs per wheel or 12-28 lbs for entire vehicle. I usually carry that much weight in soda or water in my trunk.
It’s not about total weight, it’s about unsparing weight, That heavily impacts performance. Each pound of a wheel/tire combo is significant. Best way to describe it would be your running performance when wearing 10 pound shoes vs 1 pound shoes,

Unsprung weight is just terrible for cars and motorcycles. That is why I almost always ditch the stock wheels for my cars for something lighter. I also pay attention to tire weights. No point in saving 4 pounds per corner on the wheels (at a significant cost) just to throw some heavy ass tires on if there are other good options.

Speaking of unsprung weight.

In preparation for trading in my 2019 Honda HR-V Touring, I swapped out my aftermarket set of 17x8+50 Enkei PF01 plus 235/50/17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ (god, these long ass names) and put the original OE wheels plus factory tires back on (only had 12k before swapping them out originally). I don't know if it was simply a placebo, but it felt like it was "struggling" to speed up on the highway. I put it in S before hitting the ramp and then speed up to merge with traffic or pass slower drivers. With the Enkeis, it didn't feel bad at all, but with the OE, it was like "huh, I'm not up to speed yet?"

I forget the actual weight difference... 56 keeps popping up in my head for OE weight, but not sure if it actually is (memory isn't great). But the aftermarket set should be about 41 lbs. So, if that 56 is correct, t's 15 lb difference per corner... dang.

Once I pick up the MYP tomorrow, I'll have to start setting aside some funds for another set of aftermarket wheels again, since those 21" are way too big for my taste (and probably heavy as hell). I'll have to decide between 18" or 19". Too bad the 17" wheels don't fit. :(

Speaking of unsprung weight.

In preparation for trading in my 2019 Honda HR-V Touring, I swapped out my aftermarket set of 17x8+50 Enkei PF01 plus 235/50/17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ (god, these long ass names) and put the original OE wheels plus factory tires back on (only had 12k before swapping them out originally). I don't know if it was simply a placebo, but it felt like it was "struggling" to speed up on the highway. I put it in S before hitting the ramp and then speed up to merge with traffic or pass slower drivers. With the Enkeis, it didn't feel bad at all, but with the OE, it was like "huh, I'm not up to speed yet?"

I forget the actual weight difference... 56 keeps popping up in my head for OE weight, but not sure if it actually is (memory isn't great). But the aftermarket set should be about 41 lbs. So, if that 56 is correct, t's 15 lb difference per corner... dang.

Once I pick up the MYP tomorrow, I'll have to start setting aside some funds for another set of aftermarket wheels again, since those 21" are way too big for my taste (and probably heavy as hell). I'll have to decide between 18" or 19". Too bad the 17" wheels don't fit. :(
unless you drive for drag racing or racing, 56lbs difference is negligible in real life.