Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uggghggh, no, the old was way to slow and unstable, seems like it would straddle the lane and not make up it's mind, this .76 is much much better.

They need a setting to satisfy all people, something like abnormally slow lane change to wickedly fast lane change modes. :)

There's totally a happy medium here. Being slow to initiate and straddling halfway in between is bad. But hesitating for 1-3 seconds and then suddenly making a dive for the next lane is bad too. It's not too much to ask for a proper lane change maneuver that's neither of the previous behaviors.

There's totally a happy medium here. Being slow to initiate and straddling halfway in between is bad. But hesitating for 1-3 seconds and then suddenly making a dive for the next lane is bad too. It's not too much to ask for a proper lane change maneuver that's neither of the previous behaviors.

Agreed, but I have not experienced the 1-3 second hesitation and jerk that you describe, it has always been smooth and completes the lane change quickly and solidly usually within 2-3 seconds which I consider normal, 8-10 seconds to complete a lane change is not appropriate in my opinion. The only time I have had a hesitation is when there were cars behind me in the target lane.

Agreed, but I have not experienced the 1-3 second hesitation and jerk that you describe, it has always been smooth and completes the lane change quickly and solidly usually within 2-3 seconds which I consider normal, 8-10 seconds to complete a lane change is not appropriate in my opinion. The only time I have had a hesitation is when there were cars behind me in the target lane.

When I tried 2017.28 out, it was on a nearby empty freeway, but at least under that condition, lane changes consistently happened with no hesitation *and* were perfectly smooth. I'd go so far as to say it was no worse than myself manually changing lanes normally.

Reactions: cdub and cybergates
When I tried 2017.28 out, it was on a nearby empty freeway, but at least under that condition, lane changes consistently happened with no hesitation *and* were perfectly smooth. I'd go so far as to say it was no worse than myself manually changing lanes normally.
I'm happy to report smooth lane changes with the new update as well.

Last edited:
Worked great for me the many many times I've been in downpours. Last revision drove during drenching t-storm and it could really only safely go 65mph but msotly everyone else was going 50mph or slower. It could see better than me (I wasn't going to trust it though so I kept it at the speed I felt comfortable).

Second this. I was in rain so bad that I couldn't see a thing. AP2 handled exceptionally well. Asked the SC about it, and they said it is because of the radar, camera, and infrared in the front... it can see much more than we can.

Reactions: croman
On the AP2 rain digression, just found this from Tesla's website on Autopilot:

"A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead."

So it truly is better at seeing in the rain than we are....

With the positive news I'm hearing, really excited to take this quirky AP version for a spin on my commute tomorrow... any chance this update brings back two-car tracking?

From what I saw, it looked like no. There were a couple points where I was behind a couple cars and never saw two cars ahead on the dash.

I suspect their use of bouncing the radar off the ground to see two cars ahead was what was causing phantom braking for overpasses and signs and such.

I recant one of my statements above. I drove for about an hour on the interstate with lots of curves and bends but autosteer has digressed several versions behind than where it is now. This version has reverted to slight ping ponging affects while in bending cures on the Interstate, which isn't good at all. As I stated previously, the lane change is a vast improvement.

Who or what email alias do I contact to report this erratic behavior with autosteer? It's really bad compared to about 2 versions ago. :(

Reactions: dknisely
I got the update too. The last update completely shattered my confidence. This one as a lot of people noted has a less aggressive lane change dive. But i;m not happy with AutoSteer - It seems to make minor 8 bit corrections that I did not experience as much with 17.17.4 . Also with the odd release versioning I truly wonder who is control and what sort of regressions ( bugs) they are releasing with us in it at 80 mph. I was always optimistic but the combination of - Silky smooth hype followed by this disappointing software releases has left us with much to be desired.

Reactions: _jal_
From what I saw, it looked like no. There were a couple points where I was behind a couple cars and never saw two cars ahead on the dash.

I suspect their use of bouncing the radar off the ground to see two cars ahead was what was causing phantom braking for overpasses and signs and such.
I was driving from Chicago to Michagan today and had the car freak out at a sign or overpass, not sure. Did the really quick brake jabbing. The dash on my car was only showing one car in front of me On the display. This is the first time it has done this in a while but was one of the harder braking episodes. I had hoped that that issue had been fixed, guess not.

I am glad to hear the lastest update c528869 may have helped with the jerking lane change. It was so harsh it was actually throwing my wife against the passenger door. She asked me after two times of using it to stop. It was really bothering her, me too.

I wonder how much change we will see by Octoberish? I love how aggressive Elon is on taking on new things like the Boring company, Hyperloop and now rumor has it he is going to have Tesla's own music streaming service. I really would rather see him partner with someone on some items and spend more time perfecting AP. Instead of spending all that cash on all the new items ( I actually like most of them and look forward to seeing advancements) but I would rather see him hire more AP employees and get this to work more consistently.......Not one step forward, two back, three forward & one back, then two steps back.

I guess I am just disappointed partly because of how the car was sold to me. It was presented as you buy the car now (December, 30th 2016) and within about a month AP 2.0 is going to be implemented. They made it seem like we would be seeing a car capable of way more then what we currently have. I didn't know much about autonomous cars. I had read great things about AP1 and the sales people said AP2 was going to be so much more advanced when it was rolled it the following month.

LOL, I guess if they couldn't get the upgraded seat cooling to work, what should I expect, $2,500 out the window there too.

The funny thing is I really still love the car and what the company is doing. I just hope the sales people didn't sell model 3 AP2 the way they sold it to us. Otherwise, there will be a lot of disappointed customers.

I do give Tesla AWESOME credit in their supercharger network. They have done a great job there and it keeps getting better.

Good Luck To Everyone & May We Continue To See Great Advancements In AP2, And Soon.

Last edited: