Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree! Heck, I tried pulling my car in front of some stopped vehicles at traffic lights for fun, and TACC got all of them correctly except for one that was around a curve, where it recognized much too late.

But surprisingly, for me, centering in stop and go was fine, though it did turn the wheel more than I thought was necessary. It does seem to me as well that some peoples' experiences are so much worse than others that it suggests there may be a problem with their cars.
Yeah, I agree. This has been the best update by far and much better on local roads although still with the issues mentioned above

I agree! Heck, I tried pulling my car in front of some stopped vehicles at traffic lights for fun, and TACC got all of them correctly except for one that was around a curve, where it recognized much too late.

But surprisingly, for me, centering in stop and go was fine, though it did turn the wheel more than I thought was necessary. It does seem to me as well that some peoples' experiences are so much worse than others that it suggests there may be a problem with their cars.

I've seen the lack of centering, but only once, in heavy traffic on a curve on an exit ramp. It slowly moved over more and more to the left until it was about halfway into the shoulder, over the double yellow lines. Other than that and some very subtle hunting around in one particular spot where two lanes merged, the freeway driving has been flawless for me.

Some of the negative reports here, I could see just being different roads/conditions, as they're right on the edge of what I've seen. For others, like the one I was responding to, it seems like something is just really wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban and EinSV
If people are getting unsatisfactory performance on highways I'd suggest the issue is with the camera alignment.

I had a windscreen replaced a few weeks ago which involved detaching the autopilot cameras. I tried out autopilot afterwards and it was awful, meandering over the center line and generally being erratic. I had it calibrated at the SC and after the usual 50 miles or so calibration time everything was back to normal.

Local roads are patchy but highways should be solid at this point.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
If people are getting unsatisfactory performance on highways I'd suggest the issue is with the camera alignment.

I had a windscreen replaced a few weeks ago which involved detaching the autopilot cameras. I tried out autopilot afterwards and it was awful, meandering over the center line and generally being erratic. I had it calibrated at the SC and after the usual 50 miles or so calibration time everything was back to normal.

Local roads are patchy but highways should be solid at this point.
For the record, my cameras were calibrated by the SC only a month ago.

I had an odd experience today while driving in local traffic, both on El Camino Real in Mountain View - divided surface street, some traffic moving at the speed limit. I engaged AP (2017.28, AP2) following a pickup truck (with camper cover). Vehicle showed up on my screen, I followed normally under full AP. Truck stopped for a red light. My car slowed as normal, but got uncomforably close, then went into what I suppose is AEB. AP disconnected, loud warning, red warning on screen, car's warning flashers came on, hard braking. Either the car stopped itself or I did, at that point I was on the brakes (it all happened at around 5mph or less at the end of what is normally an in-traffic stop and go situation).

I shrugged it off as some sort of sensor confusion. But then 5 minutes later, on a smaller neighborhood street, I had the same thing happen with a car I was following under AP2 control stopped at a stop sign. Again, my car was seeing that car, and began the decel, but at the last minute entered the same weird state - alarm going, warning flashers started, AEB type brake event occuring.

Strange. I'll report back if it continues. For what its worth, I had following set to 1, and AEB set to early warning. Maybe they are overlapping?

Best update so far but struggles with distance from cars around curves. It seems to lose sight of the car ahead around a mild curve and then get scared and start braking inappropriately. Same for a car that is in an adjacent lane braking. Much better on the straights and less ping-pongy.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
As some of us are expressing satisfaction with this release, I want to point out that AP2 EAP was sold as a vast improvement over AP1, with its four cameras providing many exciting features that Tesla no longer even talks about. Based on their silence, I guess they're still "expecting" this to happen in December 2016.

• Love
Reactions: oktane and lunitiks
Sorry if I missed this...

I use teslafi, which logs once per minutes. I just received/installed 17.28.

Oddly, it caught 17.28.27... and then 3 minutes later when the upgrade was finished, it changed to 2017.28 c528869

So, I suspect these versions are actually the same? Or more likely, 17.28.27 is the base update and c528869 is a small delta patch to fix something minor that is applied at the end of the update process?

Is anyone actually running 17.28.27?

Why do we still not see additional surrounding vehicles on our display compared to what AP1 cars show?

Because Tesla defrauded you and I into believing they had a clue how to make all of this vision stuff work, and that the final code was complete and ready for us to use in December 2016. Most likely software development on detecting other cars will start after the car can reliably stay centered in a lane. Mine still will totally miss the lane markers on > 20-30 degree sweeping curves or with any gentle slow speed "S-shaped" curve. It works well on very gentle/straight roads in terms of lane tracking with the latest update.

In fact, they are scrambling to make their AP2 hardware deliver something close (but not even as good) as the AP1 hardware. This may take months or years to achieve, or may never be achievable. They don't care they have your money.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Because Tesla defrauded you and I into believing they had a clue how to make all of this vision stuff work, and that the final code was complete and ready for us to use in December 2016. Most likely software development on detecting other cars will start after the car can reliably stay centered in a lane. Mine still will totally miss the lane markers on > 20-30 degree sweeping curves or with any gentle slow speed "S-shaped" curve. It works well on very gentle/straight roads in terms of lane tracking with the latest update.

In fact, they are scrambling to make their AP2 hardware deliver something close (but not even as good) as the AP1 hardware. This may take months or years to achieve, or may never be achievable. They don't care they have your money.

Pretty rough but true, still we are here because they are the best players for being the only ones in the field right now. What I don't understand is if the code with Nvidia already exists per their own demo why is it harder since they have already by now a photo of every car in the universe to analyze through our auto-uploads every night?

Nvidia even demoed correctly the position of the car in relation to its space something Tesla's keep messing up.