Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, got a bug. After driving around with it all morning (and loving the AP), this afternoon the X is “stuck”.

GPS is showing the X “stuck” at an intersection—not updating in real time. So our automated Homelink didn’t work, and our preset max falcon wing door opening didn’t work. The Homelink worked manually. These were our first clues—didn’t realize it at the time.

Then when my wife took the car out this afternoon, she found the AutoPilot was “restricted” to 45 mph even on major highways because the X thinks it’s at that intersection (or so we assume). We tried rebooting twice, still “stuck” for now. Contacted service, haven’t heard back yet.

Bummer.

At least it seems the maps does seem to have some relevance for AutoPilot. Come on SpaceX, we need those satellites so I can get much better LTE where I live (it sucks here).

AP2-2017.42 a88c8d5

I really don’t like .42 compared to .40

I’m really hoping it’s a calibration thing and tomorrow it drives like .40 did for me. .40 I was finally after an entire year of owning ap2 car ablento use it on the 405 carpool lane without almost wrecking over and over. It nailed it like ap1 and now then this morning on .42 back to crazy time for me.

I really don’t like .42 compared to .40

I’m really hoping it’s a calibration thing and tomorrow it drives like .40 did for me. .40 I was finally after an entire year of owning ap2 car ablento use it on the 405 carpool lane without almost wrecking over and over. It nailed it like ap1 and now then this morning on .42 back to crazy time for me.
Yeah I'm with you on this. I thought it was good at first, but now its starting to bother me. It drives like a boat in a rough ocean now, LOL. I'm getting more lane cross on curves too.

I received on 25th
My first felling with it is an improvement in smooth way. It makes all movements smoothly than .40 and .34

Nevertheless, it still has same issues as previous versions like:
- It becomes afraid (brake) when overpassing trucks, especially on right turns
- It brakes without any apparent reasons, I suppose when there are some mistakes on map. Because it happens almost always at the locations.
- It still hesitates (ping pong) when there is an outgoing lane or when an extra left lane is added. It feels totally insecure a lost.

To follow up. We contacted our service center, they said they could not fix OTA and that we need to bring in our X with the GPS issue (stuck on our maps at an intersection, and not updating in real time). Got that arranged, with hopefully a loaner... although considering the inventory pull, I suspect we’ll get an ICE rental instead, didn’t tell wife...

Then suddenly as we were leaving the house the GPS “reset” itself and was showing itself accurately. We were able to use the AP again and we reset the GPS location for our garage back (wife had reset Homelink since auto-open/close wouldn’t work with the car “stuck”).

Noticed that the speed limit signs were not accurate along the local roads, fine on the highways, and it had trouble with navigation. Some roads were not recognized by nav and instead of re-routing us when we went away from the original route, it kept telling us to go back. Oddly the roads actually showed up on the map, but the nav didn’t recognize them...we live in a new development area so not too surprised. On my previous BMW nav when I would drive home, I was “off” the map.

We will be keeping our appointment with service center to see what they say.

Yeah I'm with you on this. I thought it was good at first, but now its starting to bother me. It drives like a boat in a rough ocean now, LOL. I'm getting more lane cross on curves too.

Yep, .40 felt like a big leap forward immediately and .42 has felt like a recalibration period again.... I'm about to pass 50 miles on it and it seems to be getting better, but pretty interesting. I bet so many of the initial negative comments on AP have to do with this recalibration period after updates.

Reactions: selfbp and Doctt
To follow up. We contacted our service center, they said they could not fix OTA and that we need to bring in our X with the GPS issue (stuck on our maps at an intersection, and not updating in real time). Got that arranged, with hopefully a loaner... although considering the inventory pull, I suspect we’ll get an ICE rental instead, didn’t tell wife...

Then suddenly as we were leaving the house the GPS “reset” itself and was showing itself accurately. We were able to use the AP again and we reset the GPS location for our garage back (wife had reset Homelink since auto-open/close wouldn’t work with the car “stuck”).

Noticed that the speed limit signs were not accurate along the local roads, fine on the highways, and it had trouble with navigation. Some roads were not recognized by nav and instead of re-routing us when we went away from the original route, it kept telling us to go back. Oddly the roads actually showed up on the map, but the nav didn’t recognize them...we live in a new development area so not too surprised. On my previous BMW nav when I would drive home, I was “off” the map.

We will be keeping our appointment with service center to see what they say.
One thing to try here would be to turn the car off, wait four minutes, and restart it. Some things reset ‘further’ that with a screen reboot.

This switch is in the E-brake and Power Off area.

One thing to try here would be to turn the car off, wait four minutes, and restart it. Some things reset ‘further’ that with a screen reboot.

This switch is in the E-brake and Power Off area.

Interesting you mention that. I was thinking that the car hadn’t slept deeply enough. I went back and turned energy saver mode back on Before the GPS reset. Not sure if it had anything to do with it.

(We used to have it on, but I switched it off after the update to access the X more easily from our phones)