Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50 2275226 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now you need a service ticket. That trick no longer works.
What's up fellow Chicago owner!?

My plan over the xmas break is to try to extend my Eero network (somehow) to the garage. If all else fails I'll go to Grand Ave in January and see if they can push the software my way. I plan on documenting my experience(s) in a post so others can have a relatively definitive place to get answers about software updates.

My plan over the xmas break is to try to extend my Eero network (somehow) to the garage. If all else fails I'll go to Grand Ave in January and see if they can push the software my way. I plan on documenting my experience(s) in a post so others can have a relatively definitive place to get answers about software updates.

The SC usually will not push a firmware update unless there is something else wrong with your car. Basically, once Tesla issues you a service ticket, your car gets priority for receiving updates (since those can resolve some customer issues). If you are also on the service wifi, you'll get your update staged while they perform whatever work.

The current software update process is that Tesla chooses customer vehicles in batches and pushes the update (stages). Sometimes these batches are for particular hardware because the firmware fixes those (i.e. RHD drives, or AP2.5 or smart air suspension). Increasingly rarely these dates, they are general firmware pushes (.42 was the last one, 50.1 could be the next but it is still not widely distributed).

There is no actual rhyme nor reason.

Congrats on your new car! If I see you, I'll be sure to wave. AP makes that so easy!

My parents also have a detached garage (brick suburban bungalow with a beautiful brick garage). I use an old ASUS router that has been flashed with DD-WRT and repurposed as a fancy repeater/bridge. That has solved my update issues. When I got my car (tomorrow is our 1 year anniversary!) Tesla was telling me (Elon's tweets and the Tesla store in Highland Park) that AP would come to AP2.0 and I needed wifi. I spent the holidays creating the network and bridge. Needless to say, there was no need to rush. Its nice once its done and setup because then your car always has connection which is essential for a Tesla.

We live in Chicago and have a detached garage that is quite a bit of distance from the condo's main building. We use an Eero mesh to cover our house but just logistically it would be REALLY hard to get another node between our home and the garage. Thanks for the reply!
i used ORBI and put a satellite in the garage that helped a lot as prev had spotty coverage (Costco 3-pack) - it goes on sale time to time.

The SC usually will not push a firmware update unless there is something else wrong with your car. Basically, once Tesla issues you a service ticket, your car gets priority for receiving updates (since those can resolve some customer issues). If you are also on the service wifi, you'll get your update staged while they perform whatever work.

The current software update process is that Tesla chooses customer vehicles in batches and pushes the update (stages). Sometimes these batches are for particular hardware because the firmware fixes those (i.e. RHD drives, or AP2.5 or smart air suspension). Increasingly rarely these dates, they are general firmware pushes (.42 was the last one, 50.1 could be the next but it is still not widely distributed).

There is no actual rhyme nor reason.

Congrats on your new car! If I see you, I'll be sure to wave. AP makes that so easy!
I like rhyme and reason when it comes to software roll-outs! oh well. Thank for all the information. I may piggyback on a friend's wifi that actually reaches the garage until i have my other node setup.

We picked up our MX from the SC yesterday: looks like they updated ours to 17.50.80. Am I reading this wrong or are they rolling out further refinements?
50.80.jpg

Does this update give the option to preheat the battery from the app?
Curious about this as well. A new version of the iOS app, released today, seems to indicate battery pre-heating is now an option in the app. I can't test it, though, because I'm still on 2017.44 and the app says it requires 2017.50.

Attachments

• IMG_D2619EFADC2E-1.jpeg
    IMG_D2619EFADC2E-1.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: THXULTRA
I like rhyme and reason when it comes to software roll-outs! oh well. Thank for all the information. I may piggyback on a friend's wifi that actually reaches the garage until i have my other node setup.
Just remember to test the Wi-Fi bandwidth after connected. A bad WiFi connection is much worse than no Wifi, causing interrupted downloads and app instabilities.

Reactions: croman
A new version of the iOS app, released today, seems to indicate battery pre-heating is now an option in the app.

The way I read the release notes I wouldn't call it an option, it sounds like it is just something that is automatic if your battery is cold and you start preheating the interior. (It doesn't sound like we will have any direct control over the battery preheating.)

We picked up our MX from the SC yesterday: looks like they updated ours to 17.50.80. Am I reading this wrong or are they rolling out further refinements?View attachment 268135

Tap the "T" and let us know what it says for firmware (to elaborate on @MP3Mike 's post).

It will start out with 2017.50 Let us know what follows. 2017.50.1 ceae3b8 is the latest known version. Thanks.

I'm on .50 and autopilot seems to be anticipating curves much better and steering into it more smoothly with less (if any) ping-ponging between lanes. Hill behavior where you come to crest of a hill is still not good, it maybe got a little better, but it's still awful and will steer back and forth over a hill.

It was curious that that the SC paperwork indicated the performer the version upgrade, the MX was still at .44 when checking the CID, but we were prompted of a software update, which we took. Version is now reported as 2017.50.1.

They only stage the update. You have the choice of installing it. That is the most recent version which apparently is 50.80 internally.

I'm on .50 and autopilot seems to be anticipating curves much better and steering into it more smoothly with less (if any) ping-ponging between lanes. Hill behavior where you come to crest of a hill is still not good, it maybe got a little better, but it's still awful and will steer back and forth over a hill.
Agreed. I was going to post the same. On 2017.50.2275226 here.

I was extremely impressed today. Drove 40 km on a dark single lane road today with AP2.5 engaged. No disengagement and pretty smooth driving. Even though the conditions were hard:
- 90 km/h
- Dark, no traffic light
- Oncoming traffic
- Dirty windshield
- Semi-transparent snow,ice, water on lane-markings
- Sometimes no marking, only snowy edges.
- No car in front to follow
- Sometimes widening roads and 2-lane. Car goes straight into right lane steady.
- No very hard curves makes this track a little easier

My car is brand new so I don't have many versions of history. Only tested 2017.48 before. I notice that 2017.50 is clearly better to follow harder curves and handles worse conditions a lot better and more confident than 48.

Although note that sharp curves are still not perfect. It has a tendency to drift towards outer edge and eventually I have to take over before it's driving off the road.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It was curious that that the SC paperwork indicated the performer the version upgrade, the MX was still at .44 when checking the CID, but we were prompted of a software update, which we took. Version is now reported as 2017.50.1.

Since 2017.28, they switched versioning schemes. Apparently, there's still an underlying base version (eg. 17.50.80) and then a patch on top (2017.50.1 with a git hash). The service center still reports the old style version numbers.