Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50 2275226

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with Tesla Support - they confirmed many calls today on failed 2017.50 updates. I was not negatively impacted by the failure though. In my case, even though it displayed a post-update failure, the car is showing 2017.50 and all appears fine today.

Thanks for the info. I got the update this morning and it failed as well. It is exactly like yours and it's showing 2017.50, and all the new functions seem to be there. I had 2017.42 before.

I just got off the phone with Tesla Support - they confirmed many calls today on failed 2017.50 updates. . . .

For those hoping 2017.50 fixed the streaming music issues... no such luck. Support confirmed it's still an issue they are working to fix. From what they said, it's "a provider issue - the provider changed something that's breaking Tesla's use of the service".

Thanks for sharing this info. Glad I was too lazy to dash out first thing this morning to accept the update!

After 400km drive today
I notice the autopark is greatly improved
It detects the parking spot much better than .48
However, when I tried the autopark today, the car scratch the curb, good thing is little damage on the bottom of the bumper.

I have AP2.5 and EAP didn't break for me, instead, the breaking is one bit smoother than .48

Yes. .50 has a bug in it that fails to load correctly after install. A new release should be out shortly to fix it, according to the service center. Meanwhile I have a non-functioning .50 on my car and no EAP. Suggest no one installs this release.
This happened to me this morning. Update failed, moreover autopilot and TACC completely inoperable. I called my local service center, they said make sure it spends a good enough time on WiFi to redownload and try again over the next 48 hours.

This happened to me this morning. Update failed, moreover autopilot and TACC completely inoperable. I called my local service center, they said make sure it spends a good enough time on WiFi to redownload and try again over the next 48 hours.
the most depressing part is this is BS, if they really want to retry install of a failed update, there's a special command to do it, no download required at all. If they wanted to push a new version - that would be true, though.

Fun fact, if they try to push a version of firmware that you already have running, the download size is only ~13K (12819 bytes) - basically a binary diff with no differences recorded.

the most depressing part is this is BS, if they really want to retry install of a failed update, there's a special command to do it, no download required at all. If they wanted to push a new version - that would be true, though.

Fun fact, if they try to push a version of firmware that you already have running, the download size is only ~13K (12819 bytes) - basically a binary diff with no differences recorded.

Is there a command to force download and install the latest FW version, assuming your VIN is on the list allowing such version to be downloaded?

What freaks me out now that autopilot is disabled and the car is not displaying other cars on the driver binnacle, is whether AEB has been disabled as well.

Is there a command to force download and install the latest FW version, assuming your VIN is on the list allowing such version to be downloaded?

No. But if you had a firmware downloaded already that was withdrawn/failed updating, there's a command to basically "use the already downloaded firmware and try again".

What freaks me out now that autopilot is disabled and the car is not displaying other cars on the driver binnacle, is whether AEB has been disabled as well.
that's just a sign autopilot status is unhealthy for one reason or another, typically happens when you have 3 crashes in a row.

But also if say your cid software updated, but ape one did not - the process on the ape that determines car config only accepts the packet with car config if it's from the same version, it appears, so if the versions mismatch, ap software just never fully starts.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes. .50 has a bug in it that fails to load correctly after install. A new release should be out shortly to fix it, according to the service center. Meanwhile I have a non-functioning .50 on my car and no EAP. Suggest no one installs this release.

I picked up a 100D X this morning and it had showed .50 (had .48 when I test drove it 3 days earlier). My X showed a 'Software Update failed msg. Call Tesla' while I was signing the paperwork. They assured me they would download the correct software. When I got home and did the update it failed. My AP is not working. They were waiting to hear back from HQ and to get the detailed report on the failure as their summary didn't show them enough. Anyway glad I'm not the only one.

[update to above]
Made it home 30 minutes ago and now have another software update notification just now. Have it installing.
[/update]

Last edited:
I’m still stuck on .44 with no update notifications. A bit back my FW was failing to install because of a bad sensor. They temporarily plugged in a sensor they had just for this reason and flashed firmware so it would stop prompting and failing but I wonder if they didn’t then put my VIN on a no update lost because it’ll just fail in the future until the bad part is replaced.

Reports are that typically it does land on cars faster if connected to WiFi vs. LTE. I've also heard that rebooting may trigger downloads (I had done that an hour before 2017.50 first landed on my car). I rebooted last night and 50.1 had not landed by this morning; rebooted again just now in the hopes it would nudge the servers to deliver it to me.