Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree, but I really want to know the technical details behind how they pull that off - by my physics first principles calculations a semi travelling in a day what a semi is currently allowed to will add around 42kW of load-leveled load to the grid 24/7 PER SEMI. In most places, that one semi alone is nearly enough to start triggering demand charges of $500/mo+ from the utility
I think that it would need to be combined with rooftop solar, which of course Tesla can sell them from their Buffalo plant in the near future... :D

Reactions: Lessmog
I think swapping the tractor would be easier and faster than swapping the pack. Why spend extra for all the equipment needed for a fast swap. The company owning and using the trucks could figure where and when to place replacement tractors.

I don't think they will do swapping to start. The easiest seems to me to be defined routes that can have chargers at both ends: Warehouse to store.

That's the roadster approach to semi. Find a market segment to start in that doesn't have large infrastructure requirements. Private distribution networks have well defined routes. Public distribution (shipping companies, local fedex, etc.) have much more complicated routes and don't own the infrastructure at the endpoints.

Fedex does hub to hub with semi, so that could work too.

I picked Walmart because of their ownership and regional distribution pattern. Vendors bring product long distance to their distribution centers. Then Walmart drives well defined routes from those distribution centers to their stores.

Diesel semis are purpose built for the customer. I'm sure Tesla will do the same with motor and battery. We all wonder about the battery and that will be the most interesting aspect of the reveal.

I think swapping the tractor would be easier and faster than swapping the pack. Why spend extra for all the equipment needed for a fast swap. The company owning and using the trucks could figure where and when to place replacement tractors.

This does not seem ideal since having trucks idle would tie up a more expensive asset than just the batteries. Also, having battery swaps (or an ultra-fast charging network) would expand the market so it is open to essentially anyone who wants the truck, including owner/operators. The same is true with current Supercharger charge rates but that would probably require more downtime and/or a bigger battery than a swapping system.

In any case, will be interesting to see which solution they choose ....

for those of us who don't want to gloat, this might offer an opportunity to practice,

Volkswagen brand CEO says Tesla has abilities Volkswagen lacks

"Asked who VW’s main competitors are, Diess told an internal company publication: “In the old world it is Toyota, Hyundai, and the French carmakers. In the new world it is Tesla."

and

" "Tesla belongs among the competitors which has abilities that we currently do not have," Diess said in the interview with "Inside", a publication for VW employees."

Around half of Tesla's engineers are software experts, while at VW's core brand it is a much lower proportion, Diess said. Tesla has good electric motors, a fast charging network, autonomous driving technology, internet connectivity, and a new approach toward vehicle distribution."

Last edited:
Here's a cool video of Steve Jurvetson showing that it is motorized after all!

It has to be motorized because the whole car is designed to be autonomous, including automatic charging. That's why the glove box can be locked from the software.

Most people, include many longs still don't believe Tesla is brining full automation to the market.

This does not seem ideal since having trucks idle would tie up a more expensive asset than just the batteries. Also, having battery swaps (or an ultra-fast charging network) would expand the market so it is open to essentially anyone who wants the truck, including owner/operators. The same is true with current Supercharger charge rates but that would probably require more downtime and/or a bigger battery than a swapping system.

In any case, will be interesting to see which solution they choose ....

They can do both, like the current cars. Make the semi with a battery swappable design. Use the swap function to ease manufacturing. If customers really want swap they can have it. If not, Tesla still benefits from making the battery easily removable.

If customers really wanted swap for the car Tesla would have pursued the idea. I think when Tesla trialed the swap station the only users interested did it for the novelty.

He's coming back in...and already underwater based on the recent spike...again.

View attachment 239701

Good, the more the better. The more FUD the better as well. I have a new theory that most of rise in the stock from 180 to recent highs as been two main factors; Short covering by Shorts (Duh) and Longs buying the Fu**ing Dips. There is a fairly small float so these two forces could be enough to continue to propel the stock higher and higher until shorts finally give up. At that point we will need some fresh money, but that shouldnt be a problem with 500,000+/Y TM3 and profits funding massive expansion and growth. 1000-1250/share sounds about right but I have no clue. Remember that like today's stock price, the Market Cap will not be based on some standard multiple because you need to factor in future growth rates that should continue and even grow for at least a decade.

I agree with you, people need to do the math, but they don't trust their math.

They trust Dave Ramsey...

Someone said to reach out to him. It would be better if Tesla reached out to him, and they prioritized feature delivery based on his math.

On the last call, Elon said "There are a lot of people with the latest and greatest [battery].... If you want us to look at it, don't give us a power point, everything works in power point, give us a report on the [battery] from an independent test lab (ITL)."

If Elon wants to sell to the middle class, he should follow his own advice. Replace the word [battery] with the words [new car] and treat Dave Ramsey as the independent test lab (ITL).

The pricing on self driving will likely need to come down to $2K...

Anyway, I'll set the table. But Tesla will have to send it to Dave's ITL.

Thank you for a path to higher share value and long term health for Tesla.

I dont think you have ever listened to Dave Ramsey. His biggest bit of advise is to pay cash for an old beater instead of financing a new car. I dont think Dave Ramsey would be a fan of any luxury vehicle. I could be wrong.

I dont think you have ever listened to Dave Ramsey. His biggest bit of advise is to pay cash for an old beater instead of financing a new car. I dont think Dave Ramsey would be a fan of any luxury vehicle. I could be wrong.

I was going to say something like this but you beat me to it. He literally starts every podcast with "...where debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid-off mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice."

Which is not to say that he'd advise against buying a Model 3 (or a BMW) if the person asking has their financial house in order. But he knows that his core audience has not reached that point, so the idea that Dave Ramsey is going to endorse the 3 as something his hordes should go pick up is... questionable. Perhaps if/when Tesla Network is an actual thing that owners can use to make actual money the day they buy the thing. Today? Not likely.

The Model 3, financially, is like a Camry that does not cause every nerve ending in your entire body to atrophy.

Any surgeon who is not driving a Model 3, or pre 2011 BMW 3 series, is someone you will not want cutting on you.

It shows they don't care how good they are.

I did send an email to him. I Actually think that at $27,500 the car makes economic sense for a lot of people, and perhaps would not be called a luxury car. That is the inflation adjusted price of a 1992 Honda Accord LX.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snapdragon III
It has to be motorized because the whole car is designed to be autonomous, including automatic charging. That's why the glove box can be locked from the software.

Most people, include many longs still don't believe Tesla is brining full automation to the market.

At last! Now we finally learn why Mr Musk bought...Wet Nellie:
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.35.37 PM.png

I honostly have no clue if they can build a long range Semi that does not required 2MWh pack to go 500 miles. But I do know that BYD has a class 8 semi that I assume is a less efficient battery tech that has a range of 92 miles with a 188KWh. If you can just scale that by 3-4, then you get close to the goal without having it weigh to much, cutting the load you can carry. Curb weight is 23,000lbs which is fairly heavy for just the tractor:

http://www.byd.com/usa/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/T9-final.pdf

If we can assume that Tesla's batteries + motor + inverter are 30% more efficient and energy dense at the same weight, Tesla could get 400 miles with a ~600KWh pack and 500 miles of range with a ~700KWh pack. 500 miles would be more then a full shift and would allow for some buffer. The Tractor would be very heavy, maybe as high as 40,000lbs with no load, so it could limit what it can carry, but it certainly could satisfy most of the industries needs and more then enough to allow Tesla to carve out a huge chunk of the market.

Also of note, Tesla could easily sell the semi at or bellow cost and just make profit from the charging or could include charging in the purchase price, which would be better for Tesla from a financial stand point. We are talking about gigawatts of charging at 20c per KWh and as long as Tesla can install microgrids at each station, they could have north of 70% margins on the charging.

Well, there are multiple semi concepts with up to 115% MPG improvements due to better aerodynamics and going hybrid.
Due to missing constraint of fitting the physical engine+transmission-block and the reduced thermal loads, Tesla should have more freedom in the aerodynamic desing. Higher mileage due to the electric powertrain is a given. Add in better recouperation which should further improve the numbers and therefore reduce the needed battery capacity.
The big question is how much weight they'll have to dedicate for the battery.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.