Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla should hopefully be able to help

Attachments

• IMG_1811.PNG
    IMG_1811.PNG
    779.3 KB · Views: 79
Visit with a friend today that completely surprised me by buying a Leaf. Last person I would have thought would buy an electric car. Trump voter, was using a big pick up truck, could care less about the environment and energy. The economics sold him...discounted Leaf, save lots of money on his 50 mile round trip commute. Little to no maintenance. Generally keeps cars 10-15 years. In the past when I mentioned I had electric cars he was indifferent. A neighbor just bought a Bolt as well this week. They did quiz me on the cars available and made them aware of the Bolt and M3. They did not want to wait for a model 3. When the Model 3 is out there in volume I think no one will want ICE any longer.

J.P. Morgan Sees Electric Cars As Wide-Scale Disruptors

Visit with a friend today that completely surprised me by buying a Leaf. Last person I would have thought would buy an electric car. Trump voter, was using a big pick up truck, could care less about the environment and energy. The economics sold him...discounted Leaf, save lots of money on his 50 mile round trip commute. Little to no maintenance. Generally keeps cars 10-15 years. In the past when I mentioned I had electric cars he was indifferent. A neighbor just bought a Bolt as well this week. They did quiz me on the cars available and made them aware of the Bolt and M3. They did not want to wait for a model 3. When the Model 3 is out there in volume I think no one will want ICE any longer.

I know two 25-30 year old guys who are mechanics, one on high end sports cars and the other at a tuner shop. Both leased Fiat 500e's. Why? Because the monthly lease payment was less than what they were paying for gas for their commute and they could charge for free at work.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy

Regarding JP Morgan: EVs seen as replacement to ice autos by most of China and soon to be India, ie nearly 1/3 of the world... Thanks JPM, will you be investing in a rubber stamp factory or battery factory?

China’s Electric Car Push Lures Global Auto Giants, Despite Risks

A nice article from the NYT. It's a good reminder that we need constant vigilance on what other OEMs are doing to scale EVs in China. They're pouring billions into progress and volume. Highly unlikely that all of then have forgotten about the batteries. I don't know where the batteries will come from but it seems that manufacturers aren't too concerned about throwing money in to scale.

After being in production for 2 months, Model 3 was a no show in national drive electric event! For a company whose end goal is to transition the masses to electric drive, this looks quite odd. Tesla showed up with Model S though.
New 2018 Nissan LEAF Comes To Seattle, Goes On US Tour

The Model 3 "production" is looking more and more like pre-production for all practical purposes, except for vesting of billions of dollars in stock options for the top execs.

Tesla is really trying to avoid having a million reservations.. Pretty simple math. If you have 500000 reservations and cannot fulfill that demand, then you dont poor gasoline on the fire. Elon clearly stated it with his hamburger analogy. Tesla not bringing the model 3 to the drive electric event is a bullish sign that people are not canceling the reservations in mass for Bolt, Ioniq and Leaf.

Reactions: neroden
Hey guys...a little OT here, but I'm trying to get the word out about this and I know a lot of you don't venture off this forum very much to see my post in Charging Standards and Infrastructure forum.

For any of you that have a Tesla, or keep up with the supercharger build-out, you have most likely visited supercharge.info many times. This is a website created and run by a TMC member (Blueshift). Blueshift does an incredible job of collecting and posting supercharger information very quickly. However, running the site is a hobby and it generates no revenue (since he doesn't incorporate any advertising). As most all of us know, running a web site can be time consuming and expensive. In early 2015, I started a GoFundMe for Blueshift to help cover his expenses and show him the Tesla community's appreciation for what he does. The fund was a total success and we raised $3000 for him.

After 2.5 years, I felt it was time to again do another GoFundMe for Blueshift. His expenses have increase significantly over the last couple of years as he adds more functionality. And with the recent acceleration of the supercharger build-out, he has spent a ton of time keeping the site up to date. So, I started another GoFundMe and set a goal for $3000. Obviously, this is in no way "paying" blueshift for his time because I'm sure he spends several hours weekly on the site. He is simply a fellow Tesla lover like the rest of us. However, it would be nice to again cover his expenses for the next couple of years and maybe help him and his wife take a nice weekend trip.

So, if you are one of the many who LOVE supercharge.info, please consider making a gift to show Blueshift our appreciation. Also, if you are a member of any Tesla fan or owner group, please pass this along.

Superchrge.info - GoFundMe for Blueshift TMS Thread

Tesla never participates in NDEW. At least in the dozen+ of events I've done over the last 4 years. No one was expecting Model 3 because Tesla never has any official presence. (Solar City often had a booth at NDEW, but never Tesla.)

Tesla Pasadena had a Model S at the NDEW event in South Pasadena yesterday. So the above is not correct.

I'll post pics if you doubt this. I spoke to Gina at length about questions we all have, but she was also in the dark.

RT

After being in production for 2 months, Model 3 was a no show in national drive electric event! For a company whose end goal is to transition the masses to electric drive, this looks quite odd. Tesla showed up with Model S though.
New 2018 Nissan LEAF Comes To Seattle, Goes On US Tour

The Model 3 "production" is looking more and more like pre-production for all practical purposes, except for vesting of billions of dollars in stock options for the top execs.

That is because they don't need to market the car everyone wants. Nissan on the other hand, need to try very hard to market the dog they just released.

Perhaps this will help with your inability to understand the state of deliveries -
Tesla increases Model 3 deliveries to employees and insiders ahead of customer deliveries
(admittedly, a pro-Tesla cheerleader site)

I'm a huge fan of this. Easier and quicker to install, and with almost as much capacity of the normal supercharger. It's a near game changer as far as charging infrastructure goes.
Yes. Here are the changes as I see it -
1) Still DC charging but lower max speed.
2) perhaps finance-able by non-Tesla entities? e.g. Walmart/Target etc. can put a set in at every location across the USA
3) easier to certify additional installation teams
4) lower installation costs - less staff, less digging, less construction
5) will fit into more cramped places - e.g. existing parking lots that don't want to be dug up
6) easier to have large numbers of stalls. 100 stalls at a single location? It could mean that entire parking lots have stalls and it's OK to park an ICE there.
7) smaller footprint for the upright part means (perhaps) that the charger could service either of two parking spots - giving more flexibility.

Definitely better for Tesla's bottom line as they increase the number of sites worldwide past 1,000 and into the "1,000-to-10,000" bracket

Last edited:
Reactions: FredTMC
Yes. Here are the changes as I see it -
1) Still DC charging but lower max speed.
2) perhaps finance-able by non-Tesla entities? e.g. Walmart/Target etc. can put a set in at every location across the USA
3) easier to certify additional installation teams
4) lower installation costs - less staff, less digging, less construction
5) will fit into more cramped places - e.g. existing parking lots that don't want to be dug up
6) easier to have large numbers of stalls. 100 stalls at a single location? It could mean that entire parking lots have stalls and it's OK to park an ICE there.

Definitely better for Tesla's bottom line as they increase the number of sites worldwide past 1,000 and into the "1,000-to-10,000" bracket

I like that each Charger is independent (not paired). You'll get a consistent rate of charge. For example, "I know it'll take 45 min to go from 25% full to 75% full"
Plan your time/errands accordingly.

In route to a supercharger, I never know how long it'll take because I may be a Slave to the car next to me. It's unpredictable.

I like that each Charger is independent (not paired). You'll get a consistent rate of charge. For example, "I know it'll take 45 min to go from 25% full to 75% full"
Plan your time/errands accordingly.

In route to a supercharger, I never know how long it'll take because I may be a Slave to the car next to me. It's unpredictable.
What's the lowest kW you get when you're "slave" to the car next to you? Is it much lower than the 72kW for these dedicated ones?

Secondarily, does the car not tell you how many 120kW open positions there are and how many "slave" positions there are, so you can pick the faster ones if you need a faster charge?

I'm still of the opinion that Tesla needs to add 1x L2 Destination charger slot for every 4 SuperCharger slots for those busy locations where someone may not need Super Charge speed, or just wants a "little extra" while they're shopping, etc. I get the feeling that there are a number of people who opportunity charge at Super Chargers who don't need to.

Reactions: UrsS
Status
Not open for further replies.