Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the Model 3 delay pushes the smaller battery option to early 2018, which, in the grand scheme of things is a non-issue IMO.

The other items in the Electrek report (seats, headlights, etc) seem mostly benign and solvable.

I'm interested to know what the issue was with the battery pack. We know Elon was just at the Gigafactory the other day, which makes it hard to imagine his presence isn't related. I guess we don't have too much information for informed speculation, but my questions would be -- Was it a production issue? Was it an assembly issue? Was it a component issue?

And, is it solved? :)
Here you go. I figure anyone motivated to have this information would have it already, as it was cached on the yahoo search engine long after being pulled down by the publisher. Also, at this point in time, it should increase investor confidence by answering... open questions. Tesla spent a lot of money and effort to build a bridge out of production hell. Here is the Bill of Materials with production rate capabilities (to restore investor confidence):

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 12.10.40 PM.png

Clarification: "6 to 8 weeks" was his estimate for opening up the configurator, but he also indicated configurator is not needed to start non-employee deliveries, and he also said December will be a big month.
His tweets show there is a genuine concern about the ramp.. configurator is not required for employees as that's the same build with varying colors.. that is my interpretation.

Also looking at the Electrek article mentioning some parts change, it is likely more changes are still being done.. all good as the customer satisfaction will be a lot better compared to the initial MX ramp.. at this point I see less than 5k delivery this year.

You would easily see this manifesting itself even before the Q4 delivery numbers are available. If Tesla artificially reduces deliveries to US, as you suggest they might, the US backlog would grow disproportionately and estimated delivery time for US would grow much longer than for overseas deliveries. I think that it is unlikely that Tesla will utilize this strategy.

And there's no point in annoying Model S/X customers in the US and making them wait just so the Model 3 owners can max their tax credit. There's too much demand for the Model 3 for the tax credit to factor in sales. Just like Tesla tells us to buy the S/X for the best experience/tech, buy the S/X if you really want the tax credit.

That said, slowing US deliveries might afford time for Tesla to catch up with service center and Supercharger expansion.

• Helpful
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
When Elon was asked this specific question on Twitter last year (if Tesla would delay some US deliveries to maximize the number of credits for American buyers), he said "loyalty begets loyalty."

Tesla definitely has enough demand from outside the US to manipulate deliveries such that they can maximize tax credits and because it looks like it will now be as closer to day one of Q2 to hit 200k, this slightly better then delaying US orders at the end of 2017 because there are lots that want to take delivery for 2017 tax credits instead of 2018. Some might even be getting an S/X in 2017 and a 3 in 2018. This will mean they will have to somewhat constrained deliveries for S/X in Q1 2018 because model 3 should be north of 4k/w by then it not more then 5k.

In addition to this timing, I think Tesla will also want to stuff the inventory for S/X at the same time. You can kind of see how Tesla is trying to simplify the configs for S/X and I think this is for both increasing production speed and making sure inventory they build is close to what people want and expect. It will be a delicate dance but there should be enough demand from outside the US to make it so they can time it well and have a ton of cars going into inventory as they switch over to custom orders for optimal deliveries starting day one of Q2. They can also stuff inventories a bit overseas because they will be starving then a bit in 2018 while they maximize tax credit deliveries.

Self-sustained 40ft Container Microgrid Power Station:

I've been thinking about Puerto Rico and natural disasters with loss of power

I wonder if rapid deployment of a standardized 40ft container based solar and battery system would be useful? A "Microgrid Solar Power Station".

For example,

Imagine a Powerpack (200kwh) and a ton of solar panels in a 40ft container. You truck this into a soccer field or parking lot. Spread out the solar panels and anchor them to the ground with cinder blocks

The powerpack arrives with a full charge so you instantly have power available

Then you spread power cables across the ground in all directions and feed power to surroundings area. i.e. Within a few blocks for homes and businesses.

Utility lines in the area may need repair which is why spreading cables down streets may be helpful to give residents auxiliary power until the normal grid is repaired.

Along with the deployment is a team of linemen that figure out quickly where to tie into the local transformer(s) in the area. Provides a more integrated solution

When the time comes and emergency subsides, the whole Microgrid is packed up and moved.

Self-sustained 40ft Container Microgrid Power Station:

I've been thinking about Puerto Rico and natural disasters with loss of power

I wonder if rapid deployment of a standardized 40ft container based solar and battery system would be useful? A "Microgrid Solar Power Station".

For example,

Imagine a Powerpack (200kwh) and a ton of solar panels in a 40ft container. You truck this into a soccer field or parking lot. Spread out the solar panels and anchor them to the ground with cinder blocks

The powerpack arrives with a full charge so you instantly have power available

Then you spread power cables across the ground in all directions and feed power to surroundings area. i.e. Within a few blocks for homes and businesses.

Utility lines in the area may need repair which is why spreading cables down streets may be helpful to give residents auxiliary power until the normal grid is repaired.

Along with the deployment is a team of linemen that figure out quickly where to tie into the local transformer(s) in the area. Provides a more integrated solution

When the time comes and emergency subsides, the whole Microgrid is packed up and moved.
SolarCity had designed something like this two years ago. It had a simple solar roof that would anchor on the container and 10 Powerwalls inside. I don't think anything came of it. But I'd love for Tesla to build out a fleet that can be deployed in a crisis.

When Elon was asked this specific question on Twitter last year (if Tesla would delay some US deliveries to maximize the number of credits for American buyers), he said "loyalty begets loyalty."

You are quoting out of context, both Elon and me.

I was posting about Q4, here is the complete quote:

You would easily see this manifesting itself even before the Q4 delivery numbers are available. If Tesla artificially reduces deliveries to US, as you suggest they might, the US backlog would grow disproportionately and estimated delivery time for US would grow much longer than for overseas deliveries. I think that it is unlikely that Tesla will utilize this strategy.

Elon was talking about quarter in which Tesla will reach the 200,000 delivered in US:

upload_2017-10-7_23-31-43.png

We are one to two quarters+ from the threshold. My point was that it is unlikely that we will see any "management" of deliveries to maximize quantity of owners qualifying for the federal tax rebate during Q4. It is too far out to be meaningful.

Reactions: everman
I quoted nobody out of context.

Elon implied Tesla would manage deliveries to maximize Federal Credits.

And that is what I implied.

My point that it is not really possible several quarters before the trigger. Too many unknowns to manage anything. Just take a look at uncertainty with Model 3 ramp.

As I said any "management" in Q4 is very unlikely.

My point that it is not really possible several quarters before the trigger. Too many unknowns to manage anything. Just take a look at uncertainty with Model 3 ramp.

As I said any "management" in Q4 is very unlikely.

Since demand is functionally infinite for Model 3 and Elon has many less unknowns than either of us I think he can manage. Management isn't static. It changes everyday with new information.

I don't know and don't care if Elon is managing 4th qtr numbers. What is relevant is to manage delivers for an "extra" quarter of Federal Credits.

Since demand is functionally infinite for Model 3 and Elon has many less unknowns than either of us I think he can manage. Management isn't static. It changes everyday with new information.

I don't know and don't care if Elon is managing 4th qtr numbers. What is relevant is to manage delivers for an "extra" quarter of Federal Credits.

If you don't *know* and don't care if Elon is managing Q4 numbers why did you feel the need to comment on my post regarding the Q4 numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.