Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit concerned about GigaFactory's ability to produce cells and packs in time. Here are the various data points that sum up to my anxiety:

- TE took an awfully long time to ramp up. Powerwall 2 was introduced in Oct 2016. But it took about an year to ramp up production as per this Electrek article. Even now it is not clear what the rate of production/deliveries is.

- The flagship Australian project is executed using Samsung cells.

- Tesla had production difficulties on the 100kWh packs. IIRC for about 3 months or more.

- Battery VP left in Dec 16. My guess is this person is fired. I don't think many people would leave Tesla on their own at a juncture like this. A massive windfall of success is right around the corner with Model 3 (iPhone moment). Why would anyone voluntarily leave ahead of that.

- SpaceX was doing a dual launch within the same weekend, which is a record. But Elon chose to be at GF instead.

- Here is the language from the Q2 shareholder letter:

"Model 3 drive units as well as battery packs made with our proprietary 2170 form factor cells are being built on new lines
at Gigafactory 1. We are now fine-tuning these manufacturing lines to significantly increase the production rate."

Adjusting this with typical Tesla-language-to-reality factor, this most likely means yield issues, especially given that the battery lines were supposed to be fully automated. I wonder if they are in a situation similar to that of the auto-line in Fremont that @schonelucht gave some insight into with posts above.

What are your thoughts?

All true, and all consistent with Tesla's MO. Also all very far ahead of rest of the industries affected. So we get a slower ramp up on an exponentially larger vision. Also consistent with Tesla's MO.

I am a bit concerned about GigaFactory's ability to produce cells and packs in time. Here are the various data points that sum up to my anxiety:

You forgot :

- they already had to recall early Model 3 production due to failures in the batteries

Still waiting on someone to pry open a Powerwall 2 and give us a close up look @wk057 -style

• Informative
Reactions: SBenson
There will be no humans doing work in or for the model 3 line to slow it down. When it is up to speed, Musk has said the humans will be banned. It wouldn't be safe for those fragile life forms.
What Elon actually said was that eventually, something like alien dreadnaught V 3, that humans won't be able to work fast enough to be on the line.

The current line is supposed to be V 0.5 (requires some humans).

Reactions: TMSE
Interesting

Can you provide a link?
DuckDuckGo found:

Tesla attempts Model 3 production ramp up after working through early manufacturing problems
Among the early production issues, Tesla had to replace battery packs on Model 3 produced in July due to corrections on welds and it also had to replace ground terminal bolts on Model 3 produced in August.
That's ~3 and ~2 months ago, respectively. The first batch was less than a month from super-optimistic-unrealistic start of production day, and the second batch less than 2 months from that same unrealistic start of production day.

We are now 100 days since July 1st, the optimistic unrealistic internal production start deadline:

Tesla sets July 1st 2017 as deadline for Model 3 parts with suppliers and internally

My view is that things are proceeding about right, not too slow and not too fast. Anything else and I'd be wondering who is lying or messing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoL Rick
I believe that a lot of us would benefit from a market through understanding of battery technology. I think the following post from an ebike forum in 2007 does an excellent job of explaining the basics (c-rate etc.). Note: NMC and NCA had not been invented yet. Also the 26650 cells Gary was using had less than half the energy density of Tesla's current 2170 cells.
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - The care and feeding of a123-based packs...

I decided to start this thread to share my experiences with a123-based packs, in terms of what is really required to get the most out of the cells, how to make packs, how to charge/balance them and how to protect them in use.

The a123-M1 cells were developed by an MIT-spinoff called a123Systems. They use the same LiFePO4 chemistry as many of the emerging Chinese variants, which is inherently much safer than any of the Cobalt /or Maganese-based Lithium cells. What sets the a123-M1 cells apart is their proprietary use of nanotechnology in the electrode design. This allows these cells to be discharged at very high rates, and also allows them to be charged at very high rates as well, mainly due to a very high "C" rating, and low internal resistance. They are also extremely safe. Unlike othre chemistries, these will not explode if you over-charge or over discharge the cells.

Each cell has a totally usable capacity of 2.3Ah, a nominal voltage of 3.3V per cell and a fully-charged voltage of 3.65V per cell. They are rated for 30C continuous discharge (70A) and over 50C (120A) for up to 10 second "bursts". Most of the Chinese LiFe cells have max discharge rates around 2-3C. What that means is that in order to pull 40-50A out of them, you need packs that are 20Ah, or better. With a123 cells, you could easily pull 40-50A out of a "single-p" 2.3Ah pack. In practical terms, though, you won't get much range on 2.3Ah, but the point is that it doesn't have to be 20Ah. I think 90% of the users out there don't need more than 10Ah, 90% of the time.

When using a123 cells paralleled together, in order to get higher capacities, this also raises the "C" rating even further. In a 4p/9.2Ah configuration, the continuous discharge rating goes up to 280A and the burst current rating to a whopping 480A.
icon_eek.gif
This flattens out the discharge "curve" even more. The power delivered is very consistant, all the way up to the end of the capacity, and then it drops off quickly. With every other type of battery I've tried, you can "feel" the performance under load drop as you get closer to the end of the capacity. With these, the power pretty much feels the same 10 seconds from the end as it does in the beginning. If the cells in the pack are well balanced, power at the end will drop so fast, you will think you blew a fuse. Therein lies the only real "weakness" with using a123 cells in an EV application. The only way I'v found to kill these things is by over-discharging. This, of course, is applicable to all Lithium-based batteries, but it is actually easier to do with a123-based packs, due to the fact you don't get any notice that the end of capacity is near.

You can get bare a123-M1 cells directly from the manufacturer in development kits, but these are quite expensive at about $18 a cell. Many in the RC world, including myself, have tried to get a123Systems to sell us bare cells at some sort of reasonable price, but to no avail. The best I was able to do was to get them down to about $12 a cell, but that was for a quantity of 50,000. These cells were originally developed for Black and Decker's DeWalt brand pro line of 36V power tools. DeWalt bought 10 million a123-M1 cells last year, so even if you added up the total potential number of cells used in the RC and ebike/scooter applications, it would be a statistically miniscule portion of DeWalt's production run.
icon_smile.gif

DeWalt uses 10 M1 cells in each 36V power pack. I'm not sure why they call them 36V because the nominal voltage per cell is 3.3V. The only time this pack is anywhere close to 36V is fresh off the charger. Anyway, DeWalt sells these packs retail at about $160 each. They also include them, however, as part of combo packages where they will have a couple of power tools and maybe a light, along with two of these packs and a charger, at quite a cost savings over the individually priced items. There are a number of ebay power tool dealers who will break these combo packs apart and sell the pieces separately, including the packs. What this means is that you can buy these 10-cell DeWalt packs off eBay for about $90-$100, shipped. That makes the per cell cost of about $10, much more reasonable. To find these , just do a search on eBay for DeWalt 36V DC9360 and you should get a list of what's currently available.

Building, charging and balancing packs...

Inside the DeWalt packs the 10 cells are connected together in series via welded tabs. The 10-cell bundle is held in place with a pair of molded plastic end caps that also contain some springloaded wires that are used for individual cell moitoring and balancing. There is an embedded battery management system (BMS) that is part of the top half of the case. In order to get at the cells you need to use a Torx T-10 security tool to remove 7 screws that hold the top half of the case to the bottom portion.
<Snip> <snip>

If anyone has an questions please let me know.

Pomerantz Law Firm investigates claims on behalf of investors of Tesla. Something about the model 3 line not being active when Elon said it was.

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims On Behalf of Investors of Tesla, Inc. - TSLA
2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion shows that they have already made hundreds of Model 3's. The notion Tesla isn't using the production line, the very thing Tesla wants to make work fast for the entire existence of the company, is just retarded. Of course, while Tesla debugs particular steps, anything is possible for certain little tests and refinements, but overall, obviously, the production line is being used. How could it not be? The very idea that it isn't being used is a criminal lie type of fear uncertainty and doubt, and that makes Pomegranate law firm a bunch of criminals.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion shows that they have already made hundreds of Model 3's. The notion Tesla isn't using the production line, the very thing Tesla wants to make work fast for the entire existence of the company, is just retarded. Of course, while Tesla debugs particular steps, anything is possible for certain little tests and refinements, but overall, obviously, the production line is being used. How could it not be? The very idea that it isn't being used is a criminal lie type of fear uncertainty and doubt, and that makes Pomegranate law firm a bunch of criminals.
It sure would be fun to file a class action lawsuit AGAINST Pomegranate on behalf of investors for stock manipulation with outrageous claims. Might be a few short term option traders interested in seeing Pomegranate in court on the other side of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.