Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's your problem right there. You went to CNN for "news". Can't trust any of them.
I'm sorry to disagree, but this bothers me deeply. Professional journalism is one of the last lines of defence we have left in a world drowned in an ocean of actual fake news propagated by various nefarious agents via social media.

Yes, plenty of mainstream outlets publish or broadcast heavily slanted coverage that furthers the interests of their paymasters, and it's true there are many journalists out there who sold out a long time ago (virtually all the WSJ editorial writers, and every single opinion maker at Fox, for instance). And yes, most pick click-bait titles and engage in sensationalism in a desperate attempt to get viewers (mainly because the new economics of Internet advertising is threatening to obliterate the professional news business).

But real journalists do exist at every such organization, especially on the news side, and their already very hard job is made almost hopeless by the current "all-news-is-fake" narrative, pushed by rulers like Putin (covertly) or Trump (overtly), a narrative designed to make people not know what to believe anymore, and become ever more angry and cynical.

CNN is not "fake news". Neither is WSJ, the NYT, or Bloomberg. That doesn't mean you have to accept everything they say unquestionably; it means you have to learn who the bad actors are and avoid them. For every Sean Hannity there is a Shepard Smith. Don't let the professional news industry die because it's fashionable to be mistrustful of "the man", because then all we'll have left will be the unseen Twitter outrage manipulators turning us against each other and transforming the whole world into a huge, perpetual bar fight, while the crooks laugh all the way to the bank.

The moment when you read a post like that and you almost hit "funny" as you take it for a joke, but you have this strange feeling you should pull up the CNN app as we live in a world when this may actually be true and when you check you find it really just did happen.

This post will make me laugh for the rest of my life :D:D:D

This is me not taking the bait.

Can we be friends, please?

Last edited:
Reactions: mrdoubleb
I'm sorry to disagree, but this bothers me deeply. Professional journalism is one of the last lines of defence we have left in a world drowned in an ocean of actual fake news propagated by various nefarious agents via social media.

Yes, plenty of mainstream outlets publish or broadcast heavily slanted coverage that furthers the interests of their paymasters, and it's true there are many journalists out there who sold out a long time ago (virtually all the WSJ editorial writers, and every single opinion maker at Fox, for instance). And yes, most pick click-bait titles and engage in sensationalism in a desperate attempt to get viewers (mainly because the new economics of Internet advertising is threatening to obliterate the professional news business).

But real journalists do exist at every such organization, especially on the news side, and their already very hard job is made almost hopeless by the current "all-news-is-fake" narrative, pushed by rulers like Putin (covertly) or Trump (overtly), a narrative designed to make people not know what to believe anymore, and become ever more angry and cynical.

CNN is not "fake news". Neither is WSJ, the NYT, or Bloomberg. That doesn't mean you have to accept everything they say unquestionably; it means you have to learn who the bad actors are and avoid them. For every Sean Hannity there is a Shepard Smith. Don't let the professional news industry die because it's fashionable to be mistrustful of "the man", because then all we'll have left will be the unseen Twitter outrage manipulators turning us against each other and transforming the whole world into a huge, perpetual bar fight, while the crooks laugh all the way to the bank.

My last post on this (sorry mods): completely disagree that all we'll have left is twitter. If the fake news like wsj, nyt, bloomberg, especially CNN AND FOX NEWS fold, then the smaller more news-oriented REAL journalists who report without ideological tinting of their stories, will prosper.

smaller more news-oriented REAL journalists who report without ideological tinting of their stories

This isn't a thing. It never was and never will be. Twitter is too prone to wildfire falsehoods, useless noise, and personal curation.

Everyone has a slant. But at least the larger orgs, mostly, have seasoned people that respect editorial oversight and multiple sourcing. Blanket statements like 'fake news' just perpetuate the degradation of the 4th estate.

There are fake stories. Respectable orgs retract them and fire people responsible for them. 'Fake news' has become a catch-all for people that can't parse information themselves or to deflect information that doesn't jive with their world view.

My last post on this (sorry mods): completely disagree that all we'll have left is twitter. If the fake news like wsj, nyt, bloomberg, especially CNN AND FOX NEWS fold, then the smaller more news-oriented REAL journalists who report without ideological tinting of their stories, will prosper.
You have the worst profile picture ever! It makes everything you say seem like it is coming from a snarky a hole. You could say "Congratulations on the birth of your first son!" to someone, and my gut reaction would be "f that guy." Find a better picture to use!

I will shortly post something on the macro thread about news. It happens one of my close friends, a colleague, is well-recognized scholar of journalism with some conclusions that might be interesting to the less anal retentive. Be happy its a good day. My wife is in the upper Bollinger band of mood and mine is soaring with TSLA movement. Also a good bm today which we oldsters appreciate among the small victories of life.

Over 35,000 Tesla owners bought ‘fully self-driving’ feature despite still being unavailable

"<
Currently, that’s over $100 million worth of option that Tesla hasn’t delivered and technically can’t recognize revenue on until they enable it.
>"

I think many are missing the biggest news from this post. Over 1/3 of the 90,000 owners has purchased FSD and probably closer to 40%. That is unbelievable and shows you people really are ready for their cars to drive them around.

You forgot :
- they already had to recall early Model 3 production due to failures in the batteries
Bad welds. Much different than bad batteries.

Interesting

Can you provide a link?
Sure:
Tesla attempts Model 3 production ramp up after working through early manufacturing problems
Among the early production issues, Tesla had to replace battery packs on Model 3 produced in July due to corrections on welds and it also had to replace ground terminal bolts on Model 3 produced in August.

@SBenson 's post was about the cells and the packs.
And...?

Status
Not open for further replies.