Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.iene.eu/turkeys-gersan-tesla-to-build-electric-charging-stations-p3888.html

Turkey's Gersan Electricity, Trade and Industry A.S and Tesla Motors Netherlands B.V. (Tesla) signed an agreement to develop electricity-charging stations, Gersan said in a statement on Turkey's Public Disclosure Platform (KAP) late on Monday.

Both companies will evaluate trading cooperation and possible areas for the production and installation of AC/DC electricity charging stations in Turkey, according to KAP's statement.

To realize Gersan's targets, Tesla will share its know-how, production processes, and guidance on plans and operations.

Gersan A.S. is a leading electrical industry manufacturer that produces cable carrier systems, cable carriers, earthing and connection materials.

(Anadolu Agency)

Amir Efrati on Twitter

Uber is still trying to figure out which way to go... while Tesla is already halfway there.

upload_2017-12-5_13-47-9.png

Road damage is related to vehicle weight. Tesla Semi is about the same weight as other semis/trailers: 80000 lbs. Of course, that fact does not politicians constructinh illogical taxes.
Hmm, I thought the start/stop would cause more damage, if you can see tire marks on the road it must've had a lot of friction. I also see more potholes on my local road with more slower stop and go traffic, than higher speed smooth sailing highways. But I don't really know much.

Because he based his estimate on the cost of an above ground hyperloop system in California. He made a huge reduction based on his belief that a nhpppp he thinks that the hyperloop cars will cost a lot more than the hyperloop pods.

I don’t think that the Roadster and semi prices are that surprising and I don’t see any connection between tunnel boring costs and any of Tesla’s prices.
Technically there is no relation between Tesla auto and Boring. The Roadster and Semi's specs and pricing (more smei's pricing) was a pretty big shocker to me, so to me that is representative of how Elon and Tesla can come up with unexpected results. Maybe he has something unexpected up his sleeve in Boring, who knows.

I personally give Elon the benefit of the doubt, since he's a lot smarter and have people knowledgeable on the subject working on the Boring company. But I appreciate other experts here giving their input here about what Elon could potentially be missing. Good thing is it usually doesn't take Elon too long to figure out whether he's right or wrong, and correct course if needed.

Reactions: neroden
Doesn't the elevator concept go a long way to addressing this issue? No large underground cavern/station to excavate and stabilize, no ramped excavation for stair/ escalators. You need one clear large spot for each TBM (two if you start in the middle) to be inserted to dig the horizontals. With enough starting space, it seems you could start at/ near the surface then down tunnel to the right depth and continue on, this makes the material handling much simpler.
Once the TBM is doing its thing, you use pilings, caissons or such to access the tunnels. Minimal overdig involved. Not sue how they'll do the side track load/unload sections though...

Yesterday Electrik reported:
"Boring Company, a startup aiming to create networks of tunnels with electric skate transit systems, recently sought to expand its tunnels under Los Angeles. They have now released a map of the planned network – giving us a better idea of the scale of the project."

For a tunnel system like the one they show on the map, which uses automated electric 'sleds', how do people imagine this could work as far as moving a significant volume of cars into and then out of the tunnel system? They have show mockups of how drivers might pull into a street parking space that's really an elevator to take individual cars down to .... something, under everything already below ground, and arriving there then move onto a waiting sled. That seems like a very difficult and costly way to get a lot of vehicles to stations where sleds will queue at a tunnel entry point. Having a group of underground parking garage like structures spread out around the station, seems more practical as cars would drive into the access point entrance and drive down some number of levels, then to the station where there could be multiple lanes with waiting sleds. Once on sleds, auto control takes over and moves the sled around to the tunnel entry point where each waits for an opening in the tunnel's stream of sleds and accelerates into that opening. The AI can slightly reduce or increase sled speeds to maximize tunnel throughput. Does this seem a feasible approach to move the max number of cars through the tunnel system?

Has Musk been clear as to whether the goal of such a tunnel system is to relieve the most congested highways around LA or to provide an alternative that will only help those willing to pay a hefty premium to avoid the congestion non 1st class drivers will still endure?
Asking the question not saying this is the intent.

Reactions: neroden
Does anyone have any info on the Puerto Rico proposal referenced below? Sounds intriguing if true ....

Tesla has proposed large-scale solar photovoltaic and battery projects for Vieques, Culebra, as well as in remote areas that would allow entire communities to be more independent. Tesla also presented a proposal to the Authority for Public-Private Partnerships for the deployment of a large-scale battery system designed to help stabilize the entire Puerto Rico electricity network. Instalarán sistemas Tesla en Vieques y Culebra - Radio Isla 1320 AM
Note: Article is in Spanish (quote is via Google translate).

• Informative
Reactions: Gerardf

It is great to see Elon and Tesla get the credit for forcing the big ICE manufacturers to move toward EVs many years earlier than they would have preferred. Not too surprisingly, the article says nothing about how little they plan to spend to ensure they have adequate battery supplies to reach significant production volume with all their new EV models on the way.

Reactions: ev-enthusiast
"Boring Company, a startup aiming to create networks of tunnels with electric skate transit systems, recently sought to expand its tunnels under Los Angeles. They have now released a map of the planned network – giving us a better idea of the scale of the project."

For a tunnel system like the one they show on the map, which uses automated electric 'sleds', how do people imagine this could work as far as moving a significant volume of cars into and then out of the tunnel system? They have show mockups of how drivers might pull into a street parking space that's really an elevator to take individual cars down to .... something, under everything already below ground, and arriving there then move onto a waiting sled. That seems like a very difficult and costly way to get a lot of vehicles to stations where sleds will queue at a tunnel entry point. Having a group of underground parking garage like structures spread out around the station, seems more practical as cars would drive into the access point entrance and drive down some number of levels, then to the station where there could be multiple lanes with waiting sleds. Once on sleds, auto control takes over and moves the sled around to the tunnel entry point where each waits for an opening in the tunnel's stream of sleds and accelerates into that opening. The AI can slightly reduce or increase sled speeds to maximize tunnel throughput. Does this seem a feasible approach to move the max number of cars through the tunnel system?

Has Musk been clear as to whether the goal of such a tunnel system is to relieve the most congested highways around LA or to provide an alternative that will only help those willing to pay a hefty premium to avoid the congestion non 1st class drivers will still endure?

Not much clarity that I've seen, nor when they would dig tunnels for the other direction...

I find using Google with site:teslamotorsclub.com added to your keywords is great for tracking down posts. Here are couple with my thoughts from 500 pages ago...

A brief case for elevators/ against ramps:
One more for the list:

I think the simple answer is no skateboards initially.. Only Tesla's allowed to begin with, then other EVs as they are certified. The tunnels will help drive the car just like they would have helped drive the skate boards by communicating with car exactly where it is in the tunnel and how fast to go with traffic. This could be done with magnets or markings that the car can see, just like robots do today in a warehouse. I think the issue with ICEv is the air would become toxic and deadly so skateboards would be required for those vehicles. The tunnels they are making dont seem to have much room for a skateboard, but I have not really seen a car in the tunnel from every angel. I know there is a shot of a Model S in the tunnel at SpaceX.

Yeah, but if he's looking at the wrong problems, which he is, that doesn't MATTER. It's not that the problem is hard, it's that he's looking at the wrong problem. This is an old engineer's error, and *Musk is an engineer*.
I love you man, but you need your own thread to document the Elon life coach stuff. I really do like your posts, but maybe a boring company thread is needed.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and ZenMan
In recent TMC discussion of Telsa saying at Semi reveal event they would be providing charging power at 7 cents/Kwh, I don't recall seeing anything new about progress at GF2 and what amount of Panasonic PV panels and Solar Roof tiles it will be producing by close of this year. The last bits of GF2 info Tesla has made public seem to date back to late August. At that time JB said the initial Panasonic ramp to 1GW been pushed back to 2019. Also said production will rise to 2 GW but not when that expansion would be completed.
Seeing major production beginning at GF1 soon would help their future aspiration of providing very low cost charging power to Semi operators in 2021 and out seem more assured.

BNEF says batteries prices fell 24% from 2016.
Colin Mckerracher on Twitter

They're still showing $209/kWh... and predicting $100/kWh by 2025...

Also, a brand-new battery installation due in February will likely be bigger than Tesla SA recent project:
Musk's Tesla sets new battery record - but it's about to be broken - Independent.ie

They're referring to power, not capacity, or they confused MW with MWh...

In either case, reporters have a long way to go...

They're still showing $209/kWh... and predicting $100/kWh by 2025...
They're referring to power, not capacity, or they confused MW with MWh...
In either case, reporters have a long way to go...

I agree to both of your points, but this is general good news.
We need much more battery projects, for the sake of TE and the planet.
I'm waiting for TE to skyrocket, competition is always good in these cases.

I agree to both of your points, but this is general good news.
We need much more battery projects, for the sake of TE and the planet.
I'm waiting for TE to skyrocket, competition is always good in these cases.

Demand is clearly there... but need to ramp production.

Between Model S/X/3/Semi/TE, Tesla probably can sell 100+ GWh of batteries in 2019... if it could produce the damn batteries.

so we wait.

Reactions: ggies07
Status
Not open for further replies.