Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also in the above posted video, the interviewer brought up the nearly equal market capitalizations of General Motors and Tesla. They really cannot be compared directly. For General Motors, we actually need to count its dealerships and an appropriate share of the oil industry and its gas stations. Tesla sells and services directly to its consumers, and is becoming a giant in the alternative energy industry. All together General Motors and it partners remain hugely larger than Tesla. At least that's still the case today.

This is like comparing a 109-year-old who’s about to hop on the last rattler to a 14-year-old who’s just coming out of puberty, and asking who’s gonna run faster in five years.

Last edited:
Cash Balance Rollfoward

Tesla will have $5B of excess cash at December 31, 2018. This number incorporates Elon's $4B CapEx guidance for 2018.

If Roadster/Semi deposits are as high as my assumption, then Tesla could buy back stock and really really kiss the shorts who Dance on Failure.

$250m per quarter throughout 2018 would do the job, and still leave Tesla with $4B of excess cash at exit-18.

I don't think Tesla will have anything they consider excess cash in the next 5 years. I think they will keep a buffer of cash, but everything beyond that will go to capital expansion.

We got our Model X in 2016, end of May. Put 34k miles on it. I could not imagine why you would want to put yourself through driving an ICE unless it is because of cost, even with waiting on repairs, the experience is so much better, its like you have left a really ugly past behind that you were just not fully aware of. As somebody else here worded it, once you switched you are not so much thinking that teslas are the best cars ever made, its more like: whats wrong with all the other ones. A GM Bolt would be like our 2015 VW eGolf with a little more range, still stuck in old technology for the most part, missing autopilot, superchargers, over the air updates etcpp. Maybe you should go to turo.com and rent one over a long weekend and find out why it is so amazing.

Funny story today that sort of ties into this. So I’m down in South Florida visiting family. My father in law’s lease is up soon and we went test driving. Interestingly, no Model S’s were available to drive at the Tesla showroom (clearing inventory? ) so we went to the Porsche place to drive a Panamera. I gotta admit, it was a pretty nice car. Ya know, all things considered. Just as we’re leaving, the sales guy starts talking about the hybrid version, and how awesome it is to drive. He says, and I’m quoting here, “it’s like driving a Tesla”. My 14 year old son was with us and was very proud that his dad both kept his mouth shut and kept a straight face. :)

This is like comparing a 109-year-old who’s about to kick it in a couple of years to a 14-year-old who’s just coming out of puberty, and asking who’s gonna run faster in five years.

you’ve been burning cash buying that kid food, clothes, and running shoes for 14 years... you and the kid will be out of cash and out of the game while that seasoned veteran takes the race and all its spoils.

A Chinese start-up is taking on Tesla with a car half the price of Model X

Haven't see NIO discussed here, but todays headlines are all filled with this. Could todays SP dip be corelated to this news.
Big picture - Tesla China market has competitor and number of Tesla's that will sell in China will drop or not gain market ...?

having invested in Kandi a while back (all speculation and did make some profits) ... the only company in China in EV space with a reasonable shot so far i though was BYD??

Bought both in August 2014 as lotto tickets. Down 62% in KNDI, up 31% in BYDDY.

Thank you, I've been looking for those!

It's a lot choppier than I would have expected. I guess they really like using it for the minute-to-minute balancing, which makes sense.
I can't wait to see these graphs in an energy market with a larger proportion of energy storage. I assume it should smooth out more as there is more backup to draw from.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
German Survey: Which brand is considered by you the most environmentally friendly?

aral-trends-beim-autokauf-umweltimage.jpg

German Survey: Which brand is considered by you the most environmentally friendly?

aral-trends-beim-autokauf-umweltimage.jpg
Not to teach a German German, but the way I read that legend, the question was "Which Auto brands /plural/ do you find environmentally friendly? You may name more than one." So not exclusively only the most so.

Just a small detail, and still telling results -- especially the changes over two eventful years. But details do matter in statistics.

Not to teach a German German, but the way I read that legend, the question was "Which Auto brands /plural/ do you find environmentally friendly? You may name more than one." So not exclusively only the most so.

Just a small detail, and still telling results -- especially the changes over two eventful years. But details do matter in statistics.

Thats correct! You have the option to vote for more than one brand. The result and what you read out of it remains the same though. Just statistics.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Thank you, I've been looking for those!

It's a lot choppier than I would have expected. I guess they really like using it for the minute-to-minute balancing, which makes sense.

You can also stick the date on the end of the url to see what it did that day. http://nemlog.com.au/nem/unit/HPRL1/20171130

They've really started to utilize its rapid response capability in the past couple of days, as you can see from looking at earlier dates.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Status
Not open for further replies.