Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it low side. I'm thinking more like 250. Suggests improvement, but not yet resolution.

We don't know _why_ the cars are on the lot. We need to see the activity along the pipeline.

I think that at 500 per week, we'd have been seeing some more configuration activity and reports of deliveries. Configuration requests and orders from suppliers anticipate production. They do have to get cars to stores, but Tesla doesn't have that many stores.

For comparison, in 2013Q1, Tesla sold 4,900 Model S. That's a little over 400 per week. That was an active quarter. Granted, employee deliveries are under NDA and there are many more Tesla owners now, so we'd expect a lower enthusiast quotient, but I still think that with the excitement around Model 3 there'd be more stories.

It is weird that the enthusiasm is quite low around there. It seems to be the opposite of the S launch. Maybe with the S, they put an NDA to prevent problems from leaking, but highly encouraged positives to help drive demand when they needed it. With the 3, they seem to have no NDA, since there weren't any major flaws to cover, but asked employees to keep quiet to keep demand down

Reactions: Gerardf
Looking at the two drone flyover videos taken in the past two days, looks like ~ 1,000 Model 3s with some turnover. Based on this, production rate could easily be at 1,000/week. Deliveries likely lagging production. Still not clear if production will shut down after today and resume in January. If so, the number of stored Model 3s should shrink as deliveries continue to the end of the year. If not, expect accumulation of more Model 3s until delivery rate catches up with ever increasing production rate. Looks like the steep part of the ramp is happening.

It is weird that the enthusiasm is quite low around there. It seems to be the opposite of the S launch. Maybe with the S, they put an NDA to prevent problems from leaking, but highly encouraged positives to help drive demand when they needed it. With the 3, they seem to have no NDA, since there weren't any major flaws to cover, but asked employees to keep quiet to keep demand down

The anti-sell is temporary until production rate ramps to meet run-rate demand... give it six to nine months.

Reactions: doctoxics
I did a quick compilation of the VINs that are being delivered to non-customers from this spreadhseet to get a sense of # of deliveries

In the Delivery tab, there are 22 entries showing Dec delivery, VINs ranging from 1200s to 2500s. Assuming that Tesla is pulling the cars from the built queue and delivering them randomly as far as VIN goes, I think the middle point in the VIN range could be a useful measure of how many cars are delivered, and the low point could indicate that all the cars up to that VIN have been delivered. The VINs are all reported at granularity level of 100s. The average is ~1660, and median is ~1550. I would put the middle point at ~1600. Based on this I think EOY cumulative delivery at least 1200, and likely 1600. Removing 220 deliveries from Q3, this puts Q4 at 1000-1400 deliveries.

For production we need to add the cars that are still sitting in Fremont parking lot. Based on photos I think it's safe to estimate ~500, so Q4 production estimate is ~1500-1900 (or round up to 2000 for the heck of it). I think this could be conservative, if the S curve is going vertical, the last week in Dec could produce a lot more than the previous week(s).

You are making a leap of faith by assuming logical behavior from the market in general and TSLA shorts in particular ;)
Yes, it is just my guess, and as we all know, predicting the movement of this stock is essentially impossible in the short term. I think as we get out into the 6 month timeframe, it is a little more predictable at times. Quite frankly, I thought the market already would have sent it up higher than it is now.

Yes, it is just my guess, and as we all know, predicting the movement of this stock is essentially impossible in the short term. I think as we get out into the 6 month timeframe, it is a little more predictable at times. Quite frankly, I thought the market already would have sent it up higher than it is now.
The market is in a giving mood, and offering an entry point, which will not be available shortly. What do i know but other momentum stocks, which FWIW were way 'overvalued' even at their low entry point a few years to months ago...

The anti-sell is temporary until production rate ramps to meet run-rate demand... give it six to nine months.

The anti-sell to " sell " strategy must be well thought out. Because once people make up their mind, it's hard to change it. So for now it's ok to anti-sell as most people are not really aware of the M3, not so many people have it etc.

But if the shorts can create some *sugar* storm around some issues with the M3, before Tesla decide to really market the M3 then it can be a problem.

Not so. I have S VIN 29, no NDA.

• Informative
Reactions: replicant
The Roadster to Mars

Not sure what to say..... what a waste ?! expensive humor although a really good one maybe?! or, finally a valid reasons for aliens to capture a rocket from earth...
Wonder if they took the pack out to save weight? I am conflicted, I like the joke, but hate the waste. It does seem as if they could have sent something else, such as scientific monitoring equipment? Or some hardware they could use once people start going to Mars?

IF they do something rational like auction off roadster for charity and send scientific equipment instead then it is not a joke nor a publicity stunt they can milk for 10's of millions maybe hundreds of millions in free advertising.

You can still give to charity and send scientific equipment in subsequent missions which are less likely to blow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.