Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know why this myth keeps getting repeated. I live in Holland and my nephew works for that plant. They are only making batteries for 2nd gen Volt, and Chrysler Pacifica hybrid at the Holland plant.
Edit: it's possible that the upcoming expansion will host Bolt pack assembly, but I drove past on Friday (it's on the way to the golf course) and they still haven't broken ground on expansion.

I stand corrected! Not sure where I picked this up but I suspect some articles got me confused on the subject. Quick google shows that as late as last October LG was announcing production goals of 30k Bolt packs for 2017.

A year or so ago, we were discussing first year sales for a model. There was a list of top models ranked by first year sales. Does anyone recall where that list is? I'm wondering what it would take numerically for the Model 3 to make the top ten.

Last edited:
Wow, from that article:

How Clean is Your Electric Vehicle?

Good thing I am getting Solar, my Model X is only good for 41mpg vs an ICE as it relates to emissions. I dont know why, but that makes me angry. I guess they are just mainlining coal in my area.

I can top that! Here in sunny Colorado, my Leaf is only good for 41! Thank heavens for solar PV.

Reactions: neroden and everman
If selling Bolts threatens other commercial interests that GM has, why not? Or specifically in Europea if the Ampera was used as a bargaining chip in the sale of Opel to PSA, why not again.

Because companies don't piss away potential profits that way. They would negotiate a way to get the cars into customer hands. These sales also lead to green washing points which automakers love. Profits and green washing points for both GM and Peugeot instead of angry customers in Norway,Netherlands and all of Europe.

GM may well have the capacity for 50k, but that doesn't tell us anything about LG? Remember that LG only very recently took the decision to expand it's Holland plant that manufactures the Bolt packs.

LOL. GM told us specifically about their ability to buy packs from LG Chem and BEV kits from LG. GM confirmed they can buy 50k 60 kWh battery packs included in the 50k BEV kits they can buy from LG in 2017.

GM can make millions of gliders no problem. Specifically the Orion GM Plant North of Detroit is the final assembly point for Bolt/Ampera-e,Volt, and Sonic on the same lines and has a capacity of 160k cars per year.

Reactions: everman
GM confirmed it has capacity to make 50k Bolts per year today without retraining workers or reconfiguring other plants. In large part because ZEV requirements increase every year in CA going forward.

Just today GM announced layoffs. At a transmission plant that makes transmissions for the Volt among other cars.

Auto companies hate doing this because the cost of laid off workers is almost as high as active workers without any income.

GM plans to cut shift at Mich. transmission plant

I don't understand people making excuses for GM when the reality is painfully obvious.
Just trying to think it through how difficult it is for GM to transition to making EV, away from ICE. I agree that Bolt's margin and/or demand is not high enough for GM to justify mass-producing it financially. I wasn't aware I was making excuses for GM. But, whatever.

Reactions: neroden
For those that are new and did not see this when Elon spoke at the COP21 Climate Change Conference. His action today of leaving Trump's circle is valid.

Update on Elon's "I Quit You" Tweet to Trump...

323k Likes; 153k re-tweets....once again, Musk uses social media adroitly to raise brand awareness and further his and Tesla's mission. I wonder what the valuation analysts are using for his Twitter advertising. Hundreds of millions of $? A Billion$?

Psychic tarot reading on: Elon Musk summary:
He is quick, quick quick; he is no Steve Jobs, he worries about money, he likes the ladies, iPhones are a mind blower and so on .. the most important part for us investors "he gets a *sugar* load of money cards"
Nice, but does not belong here. We have a technical analysis thread for this sort of thing.

323k Likes; 153k re-tweets....once again, Musk uses social media adroitly to raise brand awareness and further his and Tesla's mission. I wonder what the valuation analysts are using for his Twitter advertising. Hundreds of millions of $? A Billion$?

I was just going to make a similar post. What's more, he now has 50,000 more twitter followers in the 5 hours or so since he made that tweet.

This is why I have so much respect for tesla. Culture is so important

Attachments

• IMG_0634.PNG
    IMG_0634.PNG
    363.2 KB · Views: 91
Because companies don't piss away potential profits that way. They would negotiate a way to get the cars into customer hands. These sales also lead to green washing points which automakers love. Profits and green washing points for both GM and Peugeot instead of angry customers in Norway,Netherlands and all of Europe.

LOL. GM told us specifically about their ability to buy packs from LG Chem and BEV kits from LG. GM confirmed they can buy 50k 60 kWh battery packs included in the 50k BEV kits they can buy from LG in 2017.

GM can make millions of gliders no problem. Specifically the Orion GM Plant North of Detroit is the final assembly point for Bolt/Ampera-e,Volt, and Sonic on the same lines and has a capacity of 160k cars per year.

Rob, I wasn't aware of the statements of no battery constraints to making 50k Bolts. I just did a google search and found the link below from early 2016. Wondering if this is what you were referring to as confirmation, or if there were more comments from GM.

'Not a compliance car,' GM says 2017 Chevy Bolt can meet demand of over 50,000 per year - HybridCars.com

Twitter is powerful, it can get you elected President. Really surprised Twitter's stock isn't doing better, it's about 100x more useful then Facebook. Facebook = 1,000 cat videos per friend/family picture or relevant post. Have to think through a mile of crap to get one bit of pure gold but I guess it's addicting enough to keep it growing.

I love Twitter. I mostly follow sports, science, space, tech and Tesla of course. Politics on Twitter can be painful, but blocking people who get to political is very fulfilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.