Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly. The negotiating game is on!

Read your long post. I think you've overanalyzed and given Mr. Trump far more credit than he deserves. It's evidenced by the blatant lies that he spews without any consideration for their truthiness. Outing the Israeli spy should've made his cluelessness pretty clear too.

I'm in town to go to the VIP tour tomorrow... I did some touring around the south bay and Santa Cruz today in a borrowed '99 Honda Civic. To the Model S owner that was very courteous today in letting me into traffic in front of the boardwalk at Santa Cruz, thanks much! It was an adventure driving that Civic with 2 passengers on the 17 at speed... definitely worlds apart from my S.

In any case, we saw over 30 Model S's, over 5 Model X's, and a Roadster, all not counting the Tesla's we saw near Tesla HQ in Palo Alto. We ended up driving down Deer Creek twice (bookend'ed by a visit to Stanford campus) and saw Model 3's both times... a white one and a black one. My passengers were sort of ready to video the 2nd encounter... here's a still from that 1 second video as it sped by:

TeslaModel3atHQ.png

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you tomorrow and going on the tour. Hopefully, we can say some things about it.

That is it. Kevin Kelly, GM manager for Electrification and Fuel Cell Technology Communications confirmed they have access to enough battery packs and powertrains to make 50k Bolt EVs per year. Refused to answer if they can make 80k per year. Don't know what more confirmation is needed.

Here is LG Chem Vice President Kang Chang-beom 10 months later saying they are scaling for 30k packs. GM will produce over 30,000 Chevy Bolt EVs in 2017, says battery supplier LG Chem Being later and from a closer source I don't really think the 50k was ever in the cards for 2017 at least.

at a good broker you won't make it past the risk management checks. someone should call you early tomorrow inquiring about your plan to deal with the options. in the event the broker feels you wouldn't have enough funds to exercise my experience has been they can legitimately sell whatever portion of your position they feel is necessary. don't let it get that far, because those guys are never careful sellers.

Just realize I might have a problem tomorrow if my lottery calls hit. From auto exercise of ITM I might be -2 million in margin.

What time will the phone call come on Monday?

off topic, but imo twtr is a screaming buy. recent large insider buying from dorsey, plus a valuation that is low teens multiple on operating cash flow (net of balance sheet cash, which is also plentiful). their data is amazingly valuable as we all know from using - and they are learning how to better monetize that data. they just haven't been able to learn fast enough to satisfy wall street.

talking my book as i own a twitter position geared for a potential double over the next year.

Twitter is powerful, it can get you elected President. Really surprised Twitter's stock isn't doing better, it's about 100x more useful then Facebook. Facebook = 1,000 cat videos per friend/family picture or relevant post. Have to think through a mile of crap to get one bit of pure gold but I guess it's addicting enough to keep it growing.

I love Twitter. I mostly follow sports, science, space, tech and Tesla of course. Politics on Twitter can be painful, but blocking people who get to political is very fulfilling.

I don't know if you have been making excuses for GM. Our Dutch friend certainly has. If you have been saying Bolt is a compelling car with healthy net margins and it is not GM's fault it is not selling better but consumer's fault or some international corporate intrigue that is holding back sales then yes that is making excuses.
I was just trying to agree with you, that the margin on the Bolt probably isn't very good, and you're putting word in my mouth that I think the Bolt is a compelling car. I know people like to argue on the internet, but c'mon, jeez

Reactions: everman
LOL. GM told us specifically about their ability to buy packs from LG Chem and BEV kits from LG. GM confirmed they can buy 50k 60 kWh battery packs included in the 50k BEV kits they can buy from LG in 2017.

LG specifically said it is geared up for 30k, not 50k, 10 months after the quote you are citing and much closer to real production start.

The facts are simple : there is a 4000k backlog of orders in Norway and cars are selling well over list price on used car sites. GM makes a profit on the margin of the Bolt (but likely not after sunk costs). Opel is telling Norwegian customers mixed messages about when their car will arrive. GM makes the most 'overall' profit on the Bolt in CARB states. GM has an inventory of a few thousands Bolts in said CARB states.

Here is what makes the most sense to me given the above : GM is limited in production capacity, not enough to both flood CARB markets and honour its delivery promises to Opel. In the negotiation PSA didn't make it a firm dealbreaker to get enough Ampera-e's, therefore its customers are at the mercy of GM which is balancing, each month, the likelilood of it selling at a 'overall' higher profit in a CARB market (which isn't 100%), versus selling it to Opel at a lower overall profit (but at a guaranteed 100% sale rate)

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and 22522
Here is LG Chem Vice President Kang Chang-beom 10 months later saying they are scaling for 30k packs. GM will produce over 30,000 Chevy Bolt EVs in 2017, says battery supplier LG Chem Being later and from a closer source I don't really think the 50k was ever in the cards for 2017 at least.

LG specifically said it is geared up for 30k, not 50k, 10 months after the quote you are citing and much closer to real production start.

The facts are simple : there is a 4000k backlog of orders in Norway and cars are selling well over list price on used car sites. GM makes a profit on the margin of the Bolt (but likely not after sunk costs). Opel is telling Norwegian customers mixed messages about when their car will arrive. GM makes the most 'overall' profit on the Bolt in CARB states. GM has an inventory of a few thousands Bolts in said CARB states.

Here is what makes the most sense to me given the above : GM is limited in production capacity, not enough to both flood CARB markets and honour its delivery promises to Opel. In the negotiation PSA didn't make it a firm dealbreaker to get enough Ampera-e's, therefore its customers are at the mercy of GM which is balancing, each month, the likelilood of it selling at a 'overall' higher profit in a CARB market (which isn't 100%), versus selling it to Opel at a lower overall profit (but at a guaranteed 100% sale rate)

Actually, your article is also old, from Oct 18, 2016. In February 2017, LG started adding more lines, to push the battery capacity to 3 GWh/year if needed. See this newer article. 3 GWh/60 KWh = 50,000 Bolt packs. It may not be there right now, but they can add more lines if needed.
LG is adding production capacity at its battery factory for Chevy Volt, Bolt EV and Chrysler Pacifica

Electrek Feb 2017 said:
In what could be a good sign for the Bolt EV and the Volt, LG announced this week an expansion of its production facility in Holland, Michigan.

Last year, the plant had two of the three assembly lines operating 24 hours a day and a fourth line on the way. It had an annual production capacity of 650 MWh, which would allow for only a few thousand Bolt EV or a few ten of thousands Volt battery packs.

But the company said that it could rise to 3 GWh at full capacity and the fourth line alone could have already pushed the capacity passed 1 GWh.

Moral of the story? No need to build a giant structure for some future battery production target. Battery lines can be added as needed, in different buildings or even different locations.
Unless,.. Potemkinskaya Derevnya?

My view is that there is no need for GM to flood the world markets with Bolt, where they lose money. If you noticed, GM, under Mary Barra, scaled back on volume and focused on profits instead. They reduced fleet sales to improve profits. GM benefits if they can themselves sell over list prices, not if Bolts are selling well in the used car markets. Plus, right now the LG Chem capacity may be catching up, going towards 3 GWh/year. But it can, if needed.

Last edited:
IMG_20170602_063715.jpg

So who is the Leader of the Free World?

Donald Trump has abdicated any responsibility to lead.

Angela Merkel would seem to be the defacto LFW.

But along comes Emmanuel Macron, speaking English, with this catchy slogan, "Make our planet great again."

Anyone else care to run for LFW? Does it even need to be a head of state?

Perhaps Elon Musk could run on the platform of "We want a future that's not crappy."

View attachment 229347

So who is the Leader of the Free World?

Donald Trump has abdicated any responsibility to lead.

Angela Merkel would seem to be the defacto LFW.

But along comes Emmanuel Macron, speaking English, with this catchy slogan, "Make our planet great again."

Anyone else care to run for LFW? Does it even need to be a head of state?

Perhaps Elon Musk could run on the platform of "We want a future that's not crappy."

I don't know why following 195 countries is called leading. It why allowing China and India to continue to grow carbon emissions for years to come while the us has cut carbon emissions for decades and will continue even without the Paris accord. I think it shows great leadership to leave and demand better, including the biggest polluters stop now and not whenever.

Really the only downside to the world if us leaving is that we won't pay for everyone countries costs to do what they should already be doing. Our credit card is maxed out, sorry other countries you now have to grow up and pay your own way.

This idea that an agreement with no teeth is some kind of solution is silly. Elon had the only solution, free market products and services that are better then all other alternatives. So good that it will be copied 1000 times and have 100x more impact on the environment then any dumb arse accord that let's the biggest polluters continue unabated in perpetuity with zero ramifications. Just do some research and see how much some of these green countries like Germany burn dirty coal vs the US and it's not clean but relatively cleaner coal then Germany. Bunch of Hippocrates.

To me it's more about clean air and water, but since the religion of climate change allows for no debate you can't even talk about something that everyone would agree on.

Trump is your president and he is so because of and only because Obama's policies including the climate change policies failed. There is no other explanation for a transition from someone so liberal to someone so different. Trump wasn't my first choice or 17th choice, but he has done a great job undoing Obama's legacy of governing by Fiat.

We can't do anything for the world if we are bankrupt and Obama doubling the national debt had put is in a position where we have no choice but to focus internally. We are sick and need to heal before we can help others. Maybe Europe can step up and "lead" since they are so smart and progressive.

Really the only downside to the world if us leaving is that we won't pay for everyone countries costs to do what they should already be doing. Our credit card is maxed out, sorry other countries you now have to grow up and pay your own way.

Your grasp on history and the U.S. role in it, as well as the history and role of U.S. government in the economy is piss poor. Please keep the politics out of this discussion, as this is not the forum to teach you remedial history and civics.

Last edited:
Actually, your article is also old, from Oct 18, 2016. In February 2017, LG started adding more lines, to push the battery capacity to 3 GWh/year if needed. See this newer article. 3 GWh/60 KWh = 50,000 Bolt packs. It may not be there right now, but they can add more lines if needed.
LG is adding production capacity at its battery factory for Chevy Volt, Bolt EV and Chrysler Pacifica

You just validated the 30k Bolts because your contention that 3GWh/60kWh = 50k Bolts = 0 Volts and 0 Pacificas. I'll be surprised if GM even manages to hit 30k.

The Electrek article does not leave an accurate impression and is not supported by the directly referenced Holland Sentinel article. They had built 2 of 3 lines and ran at roughly 650 MWh capacity. Note that capacity varies with the Wh/cell. They finished building out the 3rd line and that plant supplies cells for the Volt, Ford's Energi lineup, and the FCA Pacifica PHEV. It does not supply cells for the Bolt. So they are expanding to a 4th line, but that expansion hasn't actually broken ground. Going to 3 GWh of capacity isn't a 2017 capacity at the plant, and likely isn't a 2018 capacity at the plant either. I do count it as a 2019/2020 capacity. Going significantly beyond 3 GWh is not easy at that plant, as it is an order of magnitude smaller than even the initial section of the Gigafactory.

LG Chem is using the "spare" capacity at Ochang, SK for Bolt cells. They supply a number of other vehicles out of that plant and they historically had chronic under-utilization there. As a result, they had not actually built the cell production lines to nameplate capacity. The exact production capacity there has not be definitely reported in the press, therefore whether there is 30k or 50k for 2017 is not accurately known. Likely, the real answer is a mix... initially, 30k is what GM chose to build and that might be cell production limited as LG works to finish the Ochang factory build out. Likely 50-60k or so is the limit of Ochang, subject to cell density and other contracts. Similarly, timing of that expansion is not clear, but I guess it is a 2018 capacity. The big problem for GM is that they haven't committed to vastly increased cell production capacity for 2019/2020 already. By vastly, I mean an order of magnitude higher. My guess is that the $145/kWh cell price was basically a 2.5 year lock in for pricing to use up the rest of Ochang. Building a green field plant for 100,000's of long range BEV's would have been a higher per kWh price in 2015/2016 when this was hammered out.

Moral of the story? No need to build a giant structure for some future battery production target. Battery lines can be added as needed, in different buildings or even different locations.

Tesla is looking to achieve lowest cost per kWh with the highest capacity. Sure, there are many routes to get there, but Tesla chose this route in order to lower their costs. It may very well be that Tesla needed this in order to achieve their massive future battery production target and cost reductions. How it works or doesn't work for other companies is not really Tesla's immediate concern.

Last edited:
50k Bolts, 80k Bolts, 30k Bolts. GM isn't getting much of anywhere with that few nuts and bolts. Tesla will sell more Model 3 vehicles in the 2nd half of 2017 then GM will for the entirety of 2017. In 2018, the 200k M3 will make GM look more pathetic than usual, and at 500k M3 in 2020, the market will see how irrelevant GM truly is.

Renewable energy being the dominant energy source is inevitable. It's just a question of when.
BEV transport being the dominant mode of transport is inevitable. It's just a question of when.

It's obvious that GM is hurting while trying to look like they're not. Dispensing cash via dividends while selling off assets and unable to devote sufficient resources to develop their own EV platform, instead sending it to LG. Bailout 2022, is what I see for GM..

It's obvious that GM is hurting while trying to look like they're not. Dispensing cash via dividends while selling off assets and unable to devote sufficient resources to develop their own EV platform, instead sending it to LG. Bailout 2022, is what I see for GM..

Not sure the U.S. would be willing to bail out GM this time around. I think a bankruptcy is far more likely and lets them get back on their feet faster as a much leaner company with far less ICE production and ICE vehicle assets. Someone(s) will be left holding the bag and it really shouldn't be the U.S. taxpayer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.