Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 EAP people, should we buy FSD for $2000 before next Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to get it. Purchased EAP with car on 12-20-2018, with the expectation it would be $5k for FSD later. I recognize I might feel quite differently if I was in the October 2016 "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" cohort. But as a recent purchaser, $2K seems more than reasonable to get the CPU upgrade and all the future OTA updates.

With respect to the change in FSD plans, I think the current plan/timeline is actually reasonably credible. Namely, a level 2 system that covers all of the major driving modes (parking lot, city streets, highways) by end of the 2019, and then working through many, many less common use cases while improving the reliability of the main modes as well. Whether I'll be sleeping in the back seat by the end of 2020, I don't know. But given the value to me of NOA currently, I'd gladly pay $2K for the city streets mode and parking lot at a level roughly comparable to what we have now on highways.

I'm skipping it because I believe they neutered down the initial goal of what FSD is. 2k is good chunk of money for something that has no release date for the final product. It was supposed to be fully autonomous hands free driving but I don't think we are technologically there yet for several years. By the time waymo and all these fully autonomous systems are released Im pretty sure my current Teslas will be long in the tooth and needing upgrades. They moved EAP features into the FSD category which makes it seem their initial goal and the self driving Tesla network was just a dream and not quite attainable just yet.

Agreed. Before I bought my M3 and got into the Tesla community, from the outside, what I recall FSD being talked about was how my Tesla could drop me off at the train station, drive home on it's own, then come back to pick me up after. It appears Tesla's current definition of "FSD" is just very advanced cruise control that still requires full time human attention. That's fine for the most part as I understand things take time, but the price is still quite high for FSD's now seemingly less ambitious goals - many of which were just EAP features. Maybe FSD v2 or v3 will be fully autonomous but when that will be is still very uncertain.

Reactions: BestRadar
Yes, we picked up FSD for our Model 3. I expect it to update to HW3 and therefore stay relevant an extra year or so. I expect EAP to perform better with HW3. And it should be fun to continue the AP journey with new features.

I believe it was officially stated HW3 won't impact EAP as it's separate hardware for separate tasks, but we seem to be in a state of limbo where anything can happen, so who knows.

I'm skipping it because I believe they neutered down the initial goal of what FSD is. 2k is good chunk of money for something that has no release date for the final product. It was supposed to be fully autonomous hands free driving but I don't think we are technologically there yet for several years. By the time waymo and all these fully autonomous systems are released Im pretty sure my current Teslas will be long in the tooth and needing upgrades. They moved EAP features into the FSD category which makes it seem their initial goal and the self driving Tesla network was just a dream and not quite attainable just yet.

My observation: Anyone who bought EAP will likely see little further updates. The software being developed is for HW3. If you want further enhancements to your “EAP” features, they have been moved into FSD, so you will need to buy FSD.

I believe it was officially stated HW3 won't impact EAP as it's separate hardware for separate tasks, but we seem to be in a state of limbo where anything can happen, so who knows.

Elon stated the software development is easier with HW3 compute power. Therefore that likely means the software is being developed for HW3 and may not be compatible with HW2 maybe. EAP is likely feature complete for HW2/2.5 cars.

Elon stated the software development is easier with HW3 compute power. Therefore that likely means the software is being developed for HW3 and may not be compatible with HW2 maybe. EAP is likely feature complete for HW2/2.5 cars.

Yup that's about what I'd expect too... HW2.5/EAP probably still gets an improve summon as that was promised before the switch, but that's about it... all the significant improvements and new features from later this year and forward will be for FSD buyers and for the HW3 code branch

I have purchased FSD after delivery on both our cars (Model 3 & Model S)
Partly to support Tesla and selfishly to ensure our cars get “everything” including HW 3.0.
If Tesla doesn’t thrive, we all lose big time.
It can’t get a lot cheaper than $2,000.
Only time will tell who has regrets... those who pulled the trigger before Monday or those who did not.

Reactions: bredi and FlyErik
FOMO got me today and I bought the FSD upgrade option for $2k. Who knows what they will do with the pricing in the future. I just have a feeling it’s not going to get any cheaper, especially when the autonomous city driving features start to roll out later this year....allegedly. Hoping I jumped on a good deal, and don’t get burned. We shall see.

Reactions: Michelx and FlyErik
I decided to get the FSD last night. Have to say, I was more than a little surprised that I would need to lay down $2K more after purchasing the top of the line software and hardware in Sept. 2018 (EAP), to get the latest software package and self driving capability. Sure hope Tesla comes through for me.

I found the prices and descriptions for EAP and FSD in the Model Y ordering page very interesting. See screenshot.

If these become the new prizes for the Model 3, and even if the "Navigate on Autopilot", "Autopark", and "Summon" features get grandfathered to us EAP owners who did not buy FSD, it might make sense for us to pay $2k now for "Traffic lights" and "City driving"

upload_2019-3-15_10-32-37.png

Reactions: FlyErik
I found the prices and descriptions for EAP and FSD in the Model Y ordering page very interesting. See screenshot.

If these become the new prizes for the Model 3, and even if the "Navigate on Autopilot", "Autopark", and "Summon" features get grandfathered to us EAP owners who did not buy FSD, it might make sense for us to pay $2k now for "Traffic lights" and "City driving"

View attachment 386655

If you care about that and are ok with its implementation. I see the EAP benefits as more valuable and AP for $3K as the best bang for the buck but everyone PELASE order the upgrade so we can get rev up for a stock bump. Tell your friends, since Tesla never told anyone, there are droves of people that don't go to forums and read Elon's tweets, really It's true!

I have EAP in my car, just now laid down 2000.00 for FSD, and it's already been downloaded to the car, what do I get now?
Since no one actually answered your question...

Today you will notice nothing. The first time you would get something more than what you have with EAP will be when they release Stop sign/lights recognition or automatic diving on city streets. Maybe Advance Summon as well - I don't remember if EAP people will get Advanced Summon or Basic Summon (what summon is today).