Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery last Wednesday on June 26th and here are the problems I've noticed so far:

3/4 windows squeak a lot, which is annoying but I don't think its a big deal.

The driver's side FWD sensor is wonky and will only close about 50% of the time. It keeps thinking theres something obstructing it when theres nothing.

Everytime I drive over 50mph the wind noise sounds like its leaking into the car. Is this normal or should the seal be better? Theres normal wind noise that I dont mind but I do mind the wind noise thats leaking into the cabin because of improper sealing. Or maybe this is normal for window with no frame.

Steering wheel is not centered, its slightly off.

Most of these are a little inconvenience and I think a quick trip to the SC should be able to fix them.

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
Took delivery last Wednesday on June 26th and here are the problems I've noticed so far:

3/4 windows squeak a lot, which is annoying but I don't think its a big deal.

The driver's side FWD sensor is wonky and will only close about 50% of the time. It keeps thinking theres something obstructing it when theres nothing.

Everytime I drive over 50mph the wind noise sounds like its leaking into the car. Is this normal or should the seal be better? Theres normal wind noise that I dont mind but I do mind the wind noise thats leaking into the cabin because of improper sealing. Or maybe this is normal for window with no frame.

Steering wheel is not centered, its slightly off.

Most of these are a little inconvenience and I think a quick trip to the SC should be able to fix them.

New vehicle or used? Early/first Gen X's had small quarter panel seal issue that required a SC fix....I had the issue and was fixed ASAP by a Ranger.

My new X is very quiet and much quieter than BMW X3/Porsche Macan that I own (small quarter panel front window problem is fixed on new X's). Drive from East to West Coast of Florida last week on Alligator Alley (which is usually very windy) was very quiet. As an fyi, we took a 2018 BMW X3 from NC to FL to pick up our new X and it was very noisy (wind noise) on driver's side on I95/I75.

New vehicle or used? Early/first Gen X's had small quarter panel seal issue that required a SC fix....I had the issue and was fixed ASAP by a Ranger.

My new X is very quiet and much quieter than BMW X3/Porsche Macan that I own (small quarter panel front window problem is fixed on new X's). Drive from East to West Coast of Florida last week on Alligator Alley (which is usually very windy) was very quiet. As an fyi, we took a 2018 BMW X3 from NC to FL to pick up our new X and it was very noisy (wind noise) on driver's side on I95/I75.

Brand new. Ordered April 3rd, production May 8th and took delivery June 26. Theres this really noticeable wind noise leaking in at least from the driver side and Im not sure if this is expected or not but I'll have to talk to the SC next tuesday when I bring mine in.

• Funny
Brand new. Ordered April 3rd, production May 8th and took delivery June 26. Theres this really noticeable wind noise leaking in at least from the driver side and Im not sure if this is expected or not but I'll have to talk to the SC next tuesday when I bring mine in.
Check the seal on top of the window. Mine is jammed/twisted and I had to use a screwdriver to make it back in shape, closed the window to make the shape stick.

Has to be the seal on the small window....try working it per the post above and/or Tesla service will easily fix.

Window squeaky is common to Xs ..SC just sprayed silicon WD40 and has gone away ...FWd sensors don’t have that issue and probably you can get those replaced ...my steering wheel was also off centered as many have posted above ...the robot putting them on needs to be adjusted :(

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
My car had that too and I took delivery on June 20th. Mine also had a lot of other issues with rubber beading and scratches and seals and of course a paint damage. Perhaps the quality of cars produced at the end of the quarter especially for California customers is not controlled well. My car is in the service centre and they are not sure when these issues will get fixed. BTW, the steering buttons and horn stopped working .....

Reactions: 1 person
My car had that too and I took delivery on June 20th. Mine also had a lot of other issues with rubber beading and scratches and seals and of course a paint damage. Perhaps the quality of cars produced at the end of the quarter especially for California customers is not controlled well. My car is in the service centre and they are not sure when these issues will get fixed. BTW, the steering buttons and horn stopped working .....
Perhaps?? 100%!!! They build and deliver as quickly as possible to lock in the sales numbers for Wall Street, fully knowing that final work will have to be done post delivery. Before I picked mine up, I was advised to make a service center appointment for the day after delivery. Not kidding!! Paid off to have it. Week worth of work!

I picked up my Tesla X 100D about 2 1/2 weeks ago and noticed a few issues with FWD seals, Hood misalignment, Ding in right FWD. Made an appointment for SC (Buena Park, CA) visit for about a week from now. Now that I have had more time with the car I noted that the Left FWD is misaligned (not flush with the drivers door) Also the drivers door and Left FWD windows are not flush (jutting away from the car). So far no mechanical or electrical issues. Hopefully my car wont be in SC for a long time to fix these issues. All these things not acceptable for a $100K+ car.

I picked up my Tesla X 100D about 2 1/2 weeks ago and noticed a few issues with FWD seals, Hood misalignment, Ding in right FWD. Made an appointment for SC (Buena Park, CA) visit for about a week from now. Now that I have had more time with the car I noted that the Left FWD is misaligned (not flush with the drivers door) Also the drivers door and Left FWD windows are not flush (jutting away from the car). So far no mechanical or electrical issues. Hopefully my car wont be in SC for a long time to fix these issues. All these things not acceptable for a $100K+ car.

Yep you were end of pirates CA delivery which means, like the rest of us, it was rushed and not checked to meet quarterly delivery numbers. Make sure you get a similar or better Model X loaner - refuse to drop off until they have one for you.

• Funny
Got my new MX 100D two weeks ago and no problems with the fit or finish. It drives great (done 700 miles so far) and I love it!

The only problem I have is the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone X it intermittent. Need to get that sorted.

You’re apparently not alone. Upgrade to the neeest iOS firmware, ask Tesla service to push their latest firmware, after all are installed, remove your phone from the list of phones in the X. Then reboot the instrument cluster then reboot the center screen/car (all while keeping brake pedal depressed). Turn the car OFF using the center screen. Wait 5 minutes inside car doing NOTHING with car. Wait for things to fully reboot. Re-pair phone.

Let us know if works!

Yep you were end of pirates CA delivery which means, like the rest of us, it was rushed and not checked to meet quarterly delivery numbers. Make sure you get a similar or better Model X loaner - refuse to drop off until they have one for you.
Yes it sucks to get a car with poor build quality. My car is still with Costa Mesa SC and am frustrated with the loaner, the pace of repairs and even more with the lack of proper status updates....

Yes it sucks to get a car with poor build quality. My car is still with Costa Mesa SC and am frustrated with the loaner, the pace of repairs and even more with the lack of proper status updates....
They're likely just overwhelmed because of the recent deliveries needing fixes.

What tends to work with them is the exact opposite of what your instincts are: Be EXTREMELY nice to them. Deliver donuts or have pizza sent there to the service center. Write the service manager a glowing email about how great the people are who's been helping you (mention them by name as it affects their performance reviews). Heck, even email Elon Musk about them and say how great they are (those emails get back to their managers rather quickly). Suck up to them, rather than getting frustrated, and they'll bend over backwards for you. Give them a post-service 5-star review when they email you, again mentioning names, and I guarantee you'll be a VIP.

Having had a recently new S and X, it's what I have done. Now, I show up unannounced, the entire staff will come out to greet me by name, they fit me in, magically get me a loaner, and make sure I'm out the door in minutes. They also tend to comp things for me that should otherwise be charged, as "goodwill." Also PM me and I can send you email of SoCal regional service manager (a very senior person in the organization) who you can email (very politely and appreciatively) if things need to ever be escalated. These guys mean well, they're great at what they do, but they simply grew too fast to handle with their now-very -old and small service centers. Hope that'll change.