Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Nissan Leaf - $29,990. 40kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 year old leaf is 12 bars. There were issues with heat in the SW but I've not heard of anything recent to indicate your statement is anything but a petty smear on another BEV. Also battery has a longer warranty than 5 years.
While anecdotal evidence is useless, its also laughable how hard Tesla owners here are trolling the LEAF.

I think you would be quite surprised how many of us Tesla owners are/were Leaf owners, so be careful what you say. My big issue with Nissan, why I would never buy another car from them, is how they didn't stand behind their EV product when the batteries started to fail. It took a Class Action suit to get a capacity warranty out of them. My 2012 battery was down to 65% after only 40,000 miles/4 years. I would NEVER buy another EV without thermal management, unless there is some huge breakthrough in the chemistry. But, people up north seem real happy, as do people in Norway, which shows that its purely a heat related issue. And, as someone else said, there are stories of Leaf owners who just missed the 5 year/60,000 mile capacity warranty by a few days or miles, and Nissan denied it.
I just found out today that my Leaf's intermittent passenger airbag issue requires a new $2000 seat to replace the faulty occupant sensor in it.

My first EV was a 2013 LEAF and it was superior to my much-more-expensive Model X in a few ways (easier to park due to the far-superior 360-degree camera view, and I think the AC controls were more intuitive and less frustrating). And my LEAF had 0 days at the dealer over the years, which is something most Tesla owners can only dream about (including me).

You would think a company with as much money and experience as Tesla could do better. Anyway, I'm still on the fence with the model 3 (reserved on day 1), so I may end up with another LEAF to replace a lease-soon-to-expire Mercedes B-Class as EV #2 in my garage.

EVgo runs 10k Nissan Leaf 2017 discount right now for for its customers in DFW, Austin, and Houston. Till the end of September. That's on top of tax credit. Not a bad deal, but it didn't affect my decision - I guess I'm hopeless Tesla addict :D

Disclamer: I'm not EVgo employee, just their customer, who happened to receive emails with the promotion info. Thought I may share it with fellow EV enthusiasts.

So here is what we will have.

Leaf 2 : 160 mile, $30k
Model 3 : 210 miles, $35k
Bolt : 238 miles, $37.5k

Ofcourse, options prices in Leaf are cheap. Model 3 can quickly become a $45k+ car.

Bolt is an oddball. More range but a sub-compact econobox. If Model 3 was readily available not sure why anyone would buy a Bolt.

After owning 2 Nissans/Datsuns in the past that were apparently assembled with duct tape, bubblegum, rubber bands, and engineered by using prayer and a Ouija board as the primary design tools, I need to be very careful...

There's a "3-Strikes" law here, and I could get life in prison for getting another one.

Just kidding...

I owned 4 Nissan/Datsuns (POS-Editions), and buried two in shallow unmarked graves in the desert to avoid prison time.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MacGreiner
So here is what we will have.

Leaf 2 : 160 mile, $30k
Model 3 : 210 miles, $35k
Bolt : 238 miles, $37.5k

Ofcourse, options prices in Leaf are cheap. Model 3 can quickly become a $45k+ car.

Bolt is an oddball. More range but a sub-compact econobox. If Model 3 was readily available not sure why anyone would buy a Bolt.

9 of 10 professional Interwebbythingy Experts prefer to call the Bolt EV a Sub-Compact in nationwide tests. But in a blind taste test, they find it has a medium sized interior with more rear leg and head room than a Model S.

I guess it's something like the male reproductive organ. Men often worry about the size of it, but find that it can still be both useful and fun because it gets larger when you actually use it.

Reactions: Cloxxki
I hope the 2018 Leaf is a hit, but I just don't think Nissan is serious about making an EV that could be the primary car for most of the population like a 3 can be. It's still a secondary/niche car. Heck, when am I going to be able to get my Leaf serviced at any Nissan dealership that I choose? I live in the biggest city in Montana and the nearest Leaf dealership is hours away (days, if I drive my Leaf).

9 of 10 professional Interwebbythingy Experts prefer to call the Bolt EV a Sub-Compact in nationwide tests. But in a blind taste test, they find it has a medium sized interior with more rear leg and head room than a Model S.

I guess it's something like the male reproductive organ. Men often worry about the size of it, but find that it can still be both useful and fun because it gets larger when you actually use it.
Would be useful if you were less condescending.

I looked at Bolt very seriously before buying the Volt (as a stop gap vehicle, after driving Leafs for 6 years). Bolt is really small inside - my wife refused to drive it after seeing how close the windshield is. With Bolt, LG did their part - but GM messed it up. Poor materials making it feel like a cheap car. Bolt should have been built like the Volt. Nissan has always built Leaf like they build Ultima - so nothing luxurious, but also not an econobox.

Would be useful if you were less condescending.

I looked at Bolt very seriously before buying the Volt (as a stop gap vehicle, after driving Leafs for 6 years). Bolt is really small inside - my wife refused to drive it after seeing how close the windshield is. With Bolt, LG did their part - but GM messed it up. Poor materials making it feel like a cheap car. Bolt should have been built like the Volt. Nissan has always built Leaf like they build Ultima - so nothing luxurious, but also not an econobox.

It would even be more useful if you would begin to review automobiles AFTER driving them rather than looking at pictures.

My wife is 5'10", I'm 6'1". We found the Bolt EV roomier than the Volt and surprisingly the Cadillac CTS-V and C5/C6 Corvette (lacks helmet clearance) as well.

So I seriously doubt your 'experience' with the car. What really rocks is the visibility out of the Bolt EV. Other than convertibles, few other cars match it. "Windshield too close is a riot", you haven't been in one.

EDIT: PS - We have 3 Volts on the road this AM, 1 shop delivery, 2 for our teens, but I've driven and raced all 3 both Gen1 and G2. Love them. Yeah, the interior on the uptrim 2016+ is prettier than the Bolt, but both have plastic interiors (leather in small areas) like most cars sold today. If you don't want plastic in the interior, start looking >$250k when shopping.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jas and Lunarx
I hope the 2018 Leaf is a hit, but I just don't think Nissan is serious about making an EV that could be the primary car for most of the population like a 3 can be.

Nissan sold about 300K 1st gen Nissan Leaf cars, with low range and with a bad charging network for their different plug type here in europe (no charging possible at type 2 stations which had a fixed cable). It currently is the best selling EV. I guess 2nd gen leaf will sell much better, especially as range is now good enough for a primary car for a lot of families.

Gen2 has the potential for more than a million sales. I wouldn't be surprised if it even sales better then Model 3, if Nissan manages to ensure enough battery supply. They for sure are able to produce a lot of cars in their factories, with an annual production capacity of around 5M cars.

Last edited:
So ? Nissan will still sell 500k+ gen 2 Leafs.
So, everything.

The tell-tale stamp of a real volume manufacturer is access to a high volume, high quality battery supply and pricing. That used to be Nissan, but not anymore. Their failure to ink a deal with LG for the Gen2 LEAF is proof. Not only is Nissan eager to dump their battery factory, they have not improved battery tech in years.

Feel free to continue your rose-tinted view of Nissan's EV plans and future successes.

My first EV was a 2013 LEAF ... easier to park due to the far-superior 360-degree camera view
I hope an OTA update soon brings a 360-degree view to my Model S (AP2 has the cameras to make it possible). It really is a awesome aid when backing the car into a parking spot. Although in the LEAF there are times I wish I could turn it on when driving forwards into a spot; there's no possibility that Nissan would ever enable that, though, nor is there a way they'd ever OTA update a cool new feature into a car like that.

My 3 year old leaf is 12 bars. There were issues with heat in the SW but I've not heard of anything recent to indicate your statement is anything but a petty smear on another BEV. Also battery has a longer warranty than 5 years.
There are lots of reports in the MyNissanLeaf forums that the newer 30kWh batteries are not holding up nearly as well as the newer ("Lizard") 24kWh batteries initially did.

After 3.5 years my 2013 LEAF is still at 12 bars and holding, but I'm definitely down about 10% of the range at this point. Measured with LeafSpyPro, a full charge now brings me to 19.6kWh, down from 22.0kWh when the car was new.

Although in the LEAF there are times I wish I could turn it on when driving forwards into a spot; there's no possibility that Nissan would ever enable that, though, nor is there a way they'd ever OTA update a cool new feature into a car like that.
You can press camera button to get 360 view when going forward at low speeds. At least in '13.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1
The tell-tale stamp of a real volume manufacturer is access to a high volume, high quality battery supply and pricing. That used to be Nissan, but not anymore. Their failure to ink a deal with LG for the Gen2 LEAF is proof. Not only is Nissan eager to dump their battery factory, they have not improved battery tech in years.
Its difficult to pack so much misinformation into such a short post. Congrats.

Its quite clear to me Nissan has something with LG already (Renault already does, right?) - and we'll see the result in a couple of years. Nissan has had multiple battery improvements over the last 6 years.

Does your "loyalty" to Toyota have anything to do with you bashing Nissan ?

ps : BTW, I drive a Volt now !