Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Nissan Leaf - $29,990. 40kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2019 Nissan and Nissan controlled Mitsubishi will likely surpass General Motors to become the 3rd largest manufacture by sales after GM has sold its European business to Peugeot and pulled out of the Indian,Indonesian, and South African markets.

Nissan will sell maybe 100k-150k pure BEVs in 2019 out of 7.5M-7.8M cars produced. Best case scenario 2% of sales are BEV.

Tesla, the world's smallest(by unit sales) mass market fully independent automaker will be selling at least 4x Nissan's amount.

2% is not a core model(s). If not a compliance model then it is a niche greenwashing model(s).

In 2019 Nissan and Nissan controlled Mitsubishi will likely surpass General Motors to become the 3rd largest manufacture by sales after GM has sold its European business to Peugeot and pulled out of the Indian,Indonesian, and South African markets.

Nissan will sell maybe 100k-150k pure BEVs in 2019 out of 7.5M-7.8M cars produced. Best case scenario 2% of sales are BEV.

Tesla, the world's smallest(by unit sales) mass market fully independent automaker will be selling at least 4x Nissan's amount.

2% is not a core model(s). If not a compliance model then it is a niche greenwashing model(s).

Interesting stat: Car manufacturers by revenue | Statista

All the more interesting when you consider the most profitable automakers are #1 Toyota, then #2 GM, then #3 Nissan, also globally 2016.

I've got to get this taken care of, as well. I received something in the mail about it many months ago that seemed to indicate we'd get a call when the part(s) was available, haven't heard anything since.

Does this only apply to the 2016 Leaf? Mine is a 2012, and they have never contacted me about a recall for this, and I couldn't find any recalls online. A $2000 seat to fix a $10 pressure sensor in the seat is ridiculous. With my Prius, it was a simple matter for the dealer to recalibrate the sensor when the same thing happened. As I said, no more Nissan for me. As someone else mentioned, their other big issue is that not all Nissan dealerships are certified to work on a Leaf, and some have had their only Leaf tech quit and they lose their certification.

Does this only apply to the 2016 Leaf? Mine is a 2012, and they have never contacted me about a recall for this, and I couldn't find any recalls online. A $2000 seat to fix a $10 pressure sensor in the seat is ridiculous. With my Prius, it was a simple matter for the dealer to recalibrate the sensor when the same thing happened. As I said, no more Nissan for me. As someone else mentioned, their other big issue is that not all Nissan dealerships are certified to work on a Leaf, and some have had their only Leaf tech quit and they lose their certification.

I don't know, but I think this is a multi manufacturer sensor issue. My previous 2011 Suzuki SX4 had the exact same recall.

I think you would be quite surprised how many of us Tesla owners are/were Leaf owners, so be careful what you say. My big issue with Nissan, why I would never buy another car from them, is how they didn't stand behind their EV product when the batteries started to fail. It took a Class Action suit to get a capacity warranty out of them. My 2012 battery was down to 65% after only 40,000 miles/4 years. I would NEVER buy another EV without thermal management, unless there is some huge breakthrough in the chemistry. But, people up north seem real happy, as do people in Norway, which shows that its purely a heat related issue. And, as someone else said, there are stories of Leaf owners who just missed the 5 year/60,000 mile capacity warranty by a few days or miles, and Nissan denied it.
I just found out today that my Leaf's intermittent passenger airbag issue requires a new $2000 seat to replace the faulty occupant sensor in it.
It looks as if I'm going to drop the 4th bar on my Leaf soon, but it may be just after the 5 year mark.. I have until November 26th, and I have 69% capacity, verging on 68% likely in a few days. I have to hit 66 or 65% before I'll drop to 8 bars, most likely. I will say that Nissan's handling of my battery capacity once it does drop that 4th bar will make or break whether or not I'll ever consider another Nissan, and certainly influence my publicly stated opinion. The 8 year/100,000 mile warranty should be extended to all the Nissan Leaf vehicles, not just the 30kWh packs, if you ask me...

To the random dude (who will go unnamed) who disagreed with my previous post, while offering no insight whatsoever.

i own one of the oldest Leafs (at least in my city). What exactly is your claim to fame?
On the MyNissanLeaf forums, there are people on there who get upset when people post suggestions on how to exercise the Leaf battery to get the 4th bar to drop prior to warranty. It's not like one could get it to drop 2 bars in 3 months, and isn't what any of us would want anyhow, but instead of dropping the 4th bar 1 month after the warranty expires and then having a worthless car 2 years after that, we would like it to drop 4 days before the warranty expires so we don't have a car that was $37,000 in 2012 be worth $2,000 in 2018.

I don't know, but I think this is a multi manufacturer sensor issue. My previous 2011 Suzuki SX4 had the exact same recall.
Are you thinking of the Takata airbag recall that affected something like half the cars on the road? That was for the inflators, not the seat sensors. I got a notice about that for my '14 Leaf, then the parts came in this spring. My wife got the same on her '11 Subaru a few months earlier. Replacing a seat to fix a sensor is not something I've heard about in the Leaf, more likely a one-off failure than a recall. I can totally see why replacing the seat would be necessary as a fix, I'm sure if it was a large-scale recall, they'd find a cheaper way to do it.

Are you thinking of the Takata airbag recall that affected something like half the cars on the road? That was for the inflators, not the seat sensors. I got a notice about that for my '14 Leaf, then the parts came in this spring. My wife got the same on her '11 Subaru a few months earlier. Replacing a seat to fix a sensor is not something I've heard about in the Leaf, more likely a one-off failure than a recall. I can totally see why replacing the seat would be necessary as a fix, I'm sure if it was a large-scale recall, they'd find a cheaper way to do it.

It was several months ago that we got the LEAF notice, and the fact that we're currently experiencing issues with the passenger seat sensor may be clouding my memory, but I'm almost positive it was a notice about the seat sensor. For our Suzuki, they either just replaced the sensor, or replaced the sensor and seat bottom. I do not recall them replacing the entire seat.

Leaf 2.0 is $30k, 40 kWh, ~150 mi range. Even with AP and a futuristic design, the Model 3 seems to beat it handily.

My 6-yr old Leaf (with traction battery replaced 2 yrs ago) still runs as well as it did on day 1. Great car for zipping around in crazy city traffic and i actually enjoy it almost as much as the land yacht (MS, a bit too wide for my tastes).

Nissan really botched the original traction battery and took considerable time to come through. Tesla while still promising too much, seems at least focussed on the future.

If Nissan makes the current Leaf as a 250 mile range car with acceptable battery degradation (same as Tesla's) and with AP - I will cancel my M3 and get a Leaf.

Wait... why? Wouldn't Nissan charge at least $10k for the 110-mile range upgrade? So you'd pay at least $40K for a 250-mile Leaf instead of $35K for a 220-mile Model 3.

I have a 2017 Leaf for all the little farm chores I don't want to use my Model S for, and it's really fun for zipping around the city, but it's no Tesla.