Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Nissan Leaf - $29,990. 40kWh battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think there is indeed a segment of people and products that exist in between the strictly-compliance crowd, and the all-in-on-BEV players. I suspect Ghosen/Nissan are in that group.

They believe BEV's are a good idea, and want t sell as many as they can, but aren't willing to risk it all/go all in and therefore have a conservative approach that prevents the prodcust and ecosystem from being as compelling as it could be.

Its difficult to pack so much misinformation into such a short post. Congrats.

Its quite clear to me Nissan has something with LG already (Renault already does, right?) - and we'll see the result in a couple of years. Nissan has had multiple battery improvements over the last 6 years.

This thread is a doozy!

1) Folks who think Nissan is merely pursuing the LEAF (after nearly 300,000 sold... far more than Tesla) for regulatory compliance are just silly. There's really no other description possible, short of malicious intent, however people complaining on a Tesla forum about the LEAF isn't going to hinder LEAF sales in any way (hence even if maliciousness were intended, it's moot).

2) Nissan will sell hundreds of thousands of the LEAF v2.0. Probably millions. That's just a fact. Yes, Tesla may also sell that many (and maybe more), but here's a simple fact: the LEAF could stop tomorrow, and Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi alliance will be just fine. Barely a hiccup. Tesla would outright fail with a cancellation of Model 3.

3) The LEAF is rated at 150 miles EPA, and the 2019 LEAF e+ will have an optional LG-Chem NCM811 cell battery with temperature management. It will be rated at 60kWh, and allow 225 miles EPA range. The 2011 LEAF had 73 miles, the 2013 LEAF had 84 miles, the 2017 LEAF had 107 miles, the 2018 LEAF is 150 miles, and the 2019 will,have 225 miles... it seems like they are onto something!

4) While Nissan doesn't use a master planned DC fast charger network like Tesla is using, they do have the only DC plug in the world that is common all over the world; CHAdeMO. The 2019 LEAF will likely charge at 200-350 amps, or about 100-150kW. Does that sound like any car that you're familiar with? There are over 16,000 CHAdeMO stations in the world, and the standard was increased to 400kW = 400 amps * 1000 volts. That is far more power than Tesla at the moment (I suspect that the semi-truck will charge at 750kW-1.25MW).

Always love the CCS comments (CCS is better / will definitely take over / Nissan should adopt the third place standard CCS). We have had 5 years of CCS being right around the corner to take over! Reminds me of hydrogen cars. Anyhoo, good luck with CCS... it's obvious that the big dog in the EV sector is sticking with CHAdeMO worldwide. Yes, every Tesla can also use CHAdeMO with a $450 adaptor... all 16,000 of them.

5) I had to smirk at the arrogant comments that only those that couldn't afford a Tesla might buy a LEAF. There are tons of Tesla and LEAF homes, including mine (my third LEAF). While I wouldn't buy a LEAF for coast-to-coast travel, I absolutely would use it for anywhere in the Southern California region. I don't really see the Tesla Model 3 as a direct competitor, but obviously people will shop the Bolt EV, Model 3 and LEAF e+ when loooking for a 200 mile range EV. They're were tons of Prius owners that bought a Tesla... they're called "early adopters".

6) Nissan is obviously very conservative in general, as any large corporation tends to be, so I'm pleasantly surprised how good the Pro-Pilot seems to be, and available in such a low cost car.

7) Those of you counting out Nissan really don't get it. They could have very easily have stopped making the LEAF in 2012-2013, after the battery fiasco (that I played a part in) and low sales. They didn't... they hung in there.

Does anyone have an authoritative link to answer the question of whether or not the 2018 Leaf has active battery thermal management.
Nissan execs, a year ago, stated that it would. But in all of the released specs since the unveiling, battery management is not mentioned.
I see in this thread the assumption that it does not, but not the evidence that the assumption is correct (unless I missed such a post)
I own a 2012 Leaf so my concern on this issue is obvious. Even though I babied the battery (80 percent charge, waiting for battery to cool before charging, no level 3 charging, etc) according to LeafSpy, I am down to 87.5% battery capacity after 40,000 miles. And, I can watch my capacity drop every week.
Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Does anyone have an authoritative link to answer the question of whether or not the 2018 Leaf has active battery thermal management.
Nissan execs, a year ago, stated that it would. But in all of the released specs since the unveiling, battery management is not mentioned.
I see in this thread the assumption that it does not, but not the evidence that the assumption is correct (unless I missed such a post)
I own a 2012 Leaf so my concern on this issue is obvious. Even though I babied the battery (80 percent charge, waiting for battery to cool before charging, no level 3 charging, etc) according to LeafSpy, I am down to 87.5% battery capacity after 40,000 miles. And, I can watch my capacity drop every week.
Thanks.
It's the same battery form factor, and while you know what happens when we ASSuME, but given the same battery form factor and the fact that battery ATM wasn't mentioned in the presentation, it's safe to assume it isn't there, but just the Same Old Situation.
My 2012 is down to 69%, likely will be at 68% when the 5 year capacity warranty expires, missing the 4-bar loss or 66% capacity remaining warranty.

I feel for those Leaf owners that bought their vehicles new as opposed to used. I paid $6,000 for my Leaf a year ago, so while I'll be bummed on not getting a new battery, it was a known gamble, and much better than losing $30k+. Luckily Tesla has demonstrated with their batteries that they will last much longer.

upload_2017-9-12_13-52-17.png

so this is step 4, out of 5 steps

initial, 24kWh pack
new electrolyte, 24 kWh pack (improved longevity)
" " , new cathode 30kWh pack
" " " "new anode 40kWh pack
" " " " " " new packaging, 60kWh pack

a decent amount of technological progression, giving meaningful improvement in Nissan pack

if Renault Zoe is an indication, for the intended markets in Japan and Europe, this appears to be the sweet spot.
but USA has moved on to 60kWh

Nissan is obviously very conservative in general, as any large corporation tends to be, so I'm pleasantly surprised how good the Pro-Pilot seems to be, and available in such a low cost car.

Do we have any proof that the $30k Leaf has Pro-pilot? In an S trim? Not likely, given Nissan's EV history.

Ancient Leaf owner here (botched traction battery fiasco which got my range down to 55 miles before Nissan came through). Yes it is still nice to zip around in the city. But not buying another one.

Last edited:
I bought a new 2017 leaf for $15k and get 115 mile charge every morning. I guess everyone lives in big cities because I never driven more than a 100 miles a day. There are tons of places I will take the leaf and not the tesla, but not other way around. Leaf is a great great car and has been that way for a long time.

Reactions: GSP and EVCollies
I bought a new 2017 leaf for $15k and get 115 mile charge every morning. I guess everyone lives in big cities because I never driven more than a 100 miles a day. There are tons of places I will take the leaf and not the tesla, but not other way around. Leaf is a great great car and has been that way for a long time.

I was blown away at how good the 2017 LEAF was, compared to my old 2011 and 2012 (that latter of which I drove from Mexico to Canada). The best part was a sub-$300 lease, with zero money down, plus $2500 cash back from our friends at the state of California!

Yes, I knew a 40kWh car was coming, but I don't need a 40kWh LEAF, nor did I want to pay extra for it. I certainly don't need a 60kWh LEAF (I'll have a Model 3 for range and Superchargers / CHAdeMO fast charging). But, given a good price when it's time to turn in the 2017 LEAF, I might get the 225 EPA mile range LEAF in March 2020.

We should have our 310 EPA mile Model 3 in the next few months, and again, the Model 3 really is in an entirely different class above the LEAF. It will replace a Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e.

I have less than a year on the lease of my Model S... I'm not sure if a Model 3 can / will replace it. I really like the storage space of the Model S. Maybe a Model X with fold down seats and trailer towing can replace the RAV4 EV (with JdeMO fast charging) and the Model S.

What a fantastic time to have choices!!!

It's not. It's available (as an option) for all, but is not "on ALL" 2018 Leafs. Your own link correctly stipulates that, as does the official Leaf site.

View attachment 246475
I was at an EVent at Nissan's Sunnyvale research office. As I posted at 2018 LEAF Drive Review - Page 7 - My Nissan Leaf Forum

In the marketing guy's (Brian, he's from corporate based in Franklin, TN) slides, it specifically mentions 6.6 kW OBC even on the S trim. I confirmed w/him verbally afterward that all trims, even base S would include 6.6 kW OBC.

Also, regarding competition, he put up this slide (keep in mind he's a marketing guy). I hope the poster at SF Bay Area Nissan LEAF Owners doesn't mind that I grabbed it since I didn't take a pic of it.
21740212_10155768448614413_8645636805237966762_n.jpg

In the marketing guy's (Brian, he's from corporate based in Franklin, TN) slides, it specifically mentions 6.6 kW OBC even on the S trim. I confirmed w/him verbally afterward that all trims, even base S would include 6.6 kW OBC.

Awesome. Either he's wrong, or the Nissan USA website is wrong. Hopefully you encouraged him to fix one or the other. :)

Reactions: DurandalAI
Awesome. Either he's wrong, or the Nissan USA website is wrong. Hopefully you encouraged him to fix one or the other. :)
I did tell him that there was a ton of confusion/ambiguity on this, esp. on the web site. But I didn't have a laptop with me to show him. And, I forgot about bringing up your screenshot.

I also received a brief 2018 Leaf brochure which on the back states that 6.6 kW OBC is standard..

Reactions: GSP and Zaxxon
Agreed. For the price, Leaf wins.
Then again, in Canada, the new Smart ED is 30% cheaper than the new base Leaf.
So, for price alone, there is only one...at least for me. ;-)

30% smaller and 30% less useful. Please stop comparing your Smart ED with every other EV - no comparison. For those of us with a family that can only afford or want one car it is impractical.

hmmm October was a horrendous month for Nissan in Japan.

On the bright side, The new LEAF was Nissan's number 1 selling vehicle in Japan for October.

upload_2017-11-10_16-36-7.png

once Nissan's Japanese domestic market permission issue is resolved, the LEAF 2018 will rise much higher. probably into the top 5 in Japan. (and possibly into No1 for a single month)