Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then why build a car that goes over 85mph ? Thats the top speed in the USA. If they are so concerned, computer limit it to 85 except the Performance model in track mode. Seems like a lame excuse.
Lots of reasons, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum there is never going to be a fsd vehicle that will work above the speed limit. Why would the government ever sanction breaking the law? Perhaps if there are enough fsd vehicles the speed limits will be raised.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrtyJrze
The best way to improve the system would be to gather as much information as possible. Limiting to only FSD option purchased cars greatly slows that down.

Tesla doesn't need to have the owner use (or even purchase) FSD to gather the information. The car already has all the equipment and software it needs and the car can learn using Shadow Mode.

At any light or stop sign (or countless other situations), the car can simulate the course of action - i.e. proceeding at a green light/stopping at a red light. If the driver's actions do not match what Tesla simulated, those scenarios can be studied. Tesla can gather millions of miles per day of information and would only need to study the negative results.

For example, if the car interpreted the light to be red yet the driver kept going, Tesla can study the video to understand if the car misinterpreted the situation or if it was a driver error and the driver should have stopped.

I purchased FSD with my original order two years ago, but haven't yet been notified to bring in my car for the HW3 computer replacement. So apparently not getting this capability.

Anyone know what % of owners in my position have or have not had HW3 installed?

Thanks,
RT
Well, given my very limited, but personal experience about how the HW3 updates are being scheduled, I'd say it's 50-50%.

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

There's also the Master Thread about the HW3 updates: MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

• Helpful
Reactions: RubberToe
This is a dumb response. First, they don’t build the car to attain a specific speed - in fact they actually limit the car’s maximum speed afterward.

Second, they don’t design and build the car just for the US. There are plenty of markets with higher highway speed limits (or no limits). Third, there are places in the US where it’s legal to drive faster than 85mph (including, of course, race tracks).

Restricted access highways and empty straightaways in the middle of the country are different from city and rural roads with cross traffic, traffic lights, and stop signs. Treating them differently and having stricter limits for the latter is very sensible. Especially as they wade into uncharted waters.

Calling something dumb doesnt instantly bolster your position.

Cool, cite where there is a speed limit faster than 85 in the USA (And I already mentioned tracks in my post).

For some reason my Model Y installed 2020.12.11 yesterday, then downloaded and installed it again today.
update.jpg

Ok just back from the first drive a couple of points I haven't seen discussed before:

You actually are able to use the feature when above the posted speed limit if go from a higher speed limit to a lower limit, it didn't reset my TACC from 45 to 35 after the limit changed.

IMG_0944.jpeg

Also it seems like Tesla might be reading and reacting to Do Not Enter signs. The car slowed as if it was going to stop as I passed one that wasn't meant for my lane (but for the center turn lane). There were no other traffic controls around and it didn't say it was stopping like it does when approaching a light or stop sign. I hit the accelerator so it proceeded but it was definitely weary of that sign. I'll go back by soon and see if it happens again. YouTube below:

Lots of reasons, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum there is never going to be a fsd vehicle that will work above the speed limit. Why would the government ever sanction breaking the law? Perhaps if there are enough fsd vehicles the speed limits will be raised.

This comment is dumb. I’m pretty sure the cars already AP above the speed limit.

Anyway, if it only works at the speed limit it’s basically useless for me. Riding around at +5 over the limit gets plenty of snarky looks already when people have to pass. The speed limit would probably be a death wish.

This comment is dumb. I’m pretty sure the cars already AP above the speed limit.

Anyway, if it only works at the speed limit it’s basically useless for me. Riding around at +5 over the limit gets plenty of snarky looks already when people have to pass. The speed limit would probably be a death wish.
You do realize the government has to approve the regulations in order for there to be a full self driving car, right? Calling a comment dumb is pretty pedantic.

It may be a giant inconvenience to you that it goes the speed limit but from a legal perspective, a PR perspective and many other reasons it's going to be limited to the speed limit. It's not really an opinion. It's not going above the speed limit because that lawsuit would most likely be unrecoverable for Tesla. Any though otherwise is... Well you can take it from here.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I think you are both correct. At least around here it will be useless if it will only go the speed limit. On the other hand, why would the government allow a company to produce a product that by design breaks the law? Especially full self driving. The lawyers would have a field day.
It may be useless NOW. However, now is not the end game. Which would be more useful, to drive a car 10 mph over the speed limit or to have your car drive you there with absolutely no input from you at the speed limit. Then once it got you to your destination it goes and makes you money by driving other people to their destination at the speed limit.

It's a means to an end. It takes some vision.

You do realize the government has to approve the regulations in order for there to be a full self driving car, right? Calling a comment dumb is pretty pedantic.

It may be a giant inconvenience to you that it goes the speed limit but from a legal perspective, a PR perspective and many other reasons it's going to be limited to the speed limit. It's not really an opinion. It's not going above the speed limit because that lawsuit would most likely be unrecoverable for Tesla. Any though otherwise is... Well you can take it from here.

If that were their position, then Tesla would be limiting divided highway speeds and TACC to the speed limit as well