Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love it when people call the accelerator a "go pedal".

well, its NOT an accelerator. its now a multi-function input device whose main function is accel; but its now also an on/off mode selector for some things.

I strongly disagree with this overloading idea. (overloading is a UI concept where you have more than 1 function for a 'main knob').

the stalk is already something that is not burned in our brains like the 'gas pedal' (sorry) and the brake pedal. we can learn to play with stalks (haha) and it does not collide with our muscle memory of the foot controls.

I think the UI team was really wrong in trying to let a foot tap on the 'go pedal' (nah, don't like that phrase either) be a continue or ok or ACK of some kind. there *will* be times you will want to ACK and if you tap the ga^H^Haccel pedal it will do something you didn't want (ie, go faster).

well, its NOT an accelerator. its now a multi-function input device whose main function is accel; but its now also an on/off mode selector for some things.

I strongly disagree with this overloading idea. (overloading is a UI concept where you have more than 1 function for a 'main knob').

the stalk is already something that is not burned in our brains like the 'gas pedal' (sorry) and the brake pedal. we can learn to play with stalks (haha) and it does not collide with our muscle memory of the foot controls.

I think the UI team was really wrong in trying to let a foot tap on the 'go pedal' (nah, don't like that phrase either) be a continue or ok or ACK of some kind. there *will* be times you will want to ACK and if you tap the ga^H^Haccel pedal it will do something you didn't want (ie, go faster).

Looks like I'm going to be using this video A-LOT. .

Dude....it was a joke.

My suspicion is that Tesla would have rather released it to only work on TACC for now, since Autosteer doesn’t handle intersections very well, but it would confusing to the driver since TACC is part of Autosteer.

Anyone using autosteer already knows it doesn't handle turns at intersections. And from what I could tell, the majority of AP users also drive on divided or non-divided highways with intersections and stop signs. So adding this to the mix wasn't going to be very confusing. Next would be turns at intersections, hopefully.

Tried it this morning and probably won't use it. Can't drive 25 down roads that everyone goes 45. One, because it annoys others, but more importantly, two, it's just too d*mn slow. ha.
Your comment makes no sense because even before it would only go +5 over the speedlimit (so 30 on your 'everyone goes 45 road)?!?!

Besides while adding test data for Tesla (purpose of this currently) you can just apply the accelerator while on TACC or AP to go faster without disabling either those ... when you are getting somewhat close to a stopsign or stoplight let the car do the automatic slowdown and stop so they gather more data (or catch errors).

It actually stops if you can't make the light. I confirmed the moment the message appeared. Then the light turned yellow so a message indicating the yellow light popped up. I immediately tap to confirm again but the car continued to slow down and stop.

I have it all on video. Will post tomorrow
That's good news. Today, I approached a blinking yellow light and canceled with the warning anf slowdown immediately,, but because the light was blinking the approaching light message kept reappearing, requiring me to keep canceling the slow down multiple times. When I got up to that intersection, the red line appeared on the road as it might when you stop. Perhaps it would have, but I kept hitting the lever. In this instance, perhaps, using continuous accelerator pressure would have been simpler to get through that light than hitting the shift lever many times. However, I did learn from that blinking yellow light experience, that when you cancel the slowdown far before a light, the car will still keep an eye on the light should it change even if it is just changing on and off.

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
pointing out deficiencies is a good thing. Blindly loving everything isn’t.

Why do you assume So many here have blind love. Being part of new tech is amazing and fun. Doesn’t mean they are blindly loving it. :)

Disagreeing with you seems to equal blind love. ??

I think you don’t understand others perspectives very well. At least your comments suggest that.

Which FSD?

Which government?

In some places if a company had a working L5 self-driving solution they could roll it out today, with no further requirements related to the government. (nobody has such a solution of course)

In other places they couldn't.

So when Elon keeps saying he "hopes" to get approval in at least "some" places in the next year or two he's either ignorant (unlikely) or misleading (more likely) in that there's ALREADY places you could run such a system right now.

Is there any FSD systems running right now that are approved ?

Is there any FSD systems running right now that are approved ?

Which FSD?

Approved by whom?

Many folks are testing various systems in various places.

Waymo at least (might be others I don't know) is operating- to end users (though limited audience) robotaxis- but they're in one specific suburb of Arizona, and they have a remote controller who has help the car out if it runs into something it doesn't understand- so it's a level 4 system at best.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
So editorializing for a moment. In the US at least speed limits are rarely enforced to the letter. Everyone, including most police, know that a "25" limit really means 30, or 35 if you are pushing your luck. You will rarely, if ever, get a ticket for going 30 in a 25 posted area. Or 35 in a 30 posted area. The "overage" is about 5mph, although perhaps a little more at faster speeds (its certainly not proportional though).

This differs from other countries I'm sure. For example, in the UK limits are more strictly enforced. However, in that case the limits are generally higher than in the US (most minor roads in the UK are 30mph, 25mph is very rare). So the actual effect, in both the UK and the US, is most people drive at about the same speeds (30mph on minor roads, 40mph on major urban roads etc).

BUT, along comes technology to enforce speed limits. In the case of Tesla, its the stop light beta for TACC, but in theory any car that can read speed limit signs could limit even manual driving to not exceed the legal speed. In the US, that's going to cause chaos. Basically it will slow traffic down, cause congestion, and have (imho) no measurable effect on accident statistics.

And at that point we are at an impasse in the US. You can't raise the limits ... even ignoring the cost of re-signing vast stretches of highway, people here would just continue driving above the (higher) posted limits anyway. But you dont want people driving at the existing posted limits. AND you dont want to give waiver to self-driving cars to "break the law".

Ultimately, as others have noted, this is the first tiny step down a long road that has different restrictions for human vs self-driving cars. And what a brave new world THAT will be.

Why do you assume So many here have blind love. Being part of new tech is amazing and fun. Doesn’t mean they are blindly loving it. :)

Disagreeing with you seems to equal blind love. ??

I think you don’t understand others perspectives very well. At least your comments suggest that.
Lots of assumptions here...but I’ll warn you, if you think “this guy may be screwing with me” I am. My snarkiness may not come across well online. But based on your reply you read way too much into my replies. But that’s okay as it entertains me. I think you don’t get my sense of humor. I’m here solely for my entertainment, if others get some too, that’s a happy side effect.

Anyway, now for my honest opinion. I drove the car with the update. 64 miles. It was very predictable and luckily I don’t have any of those strange scenarios which seem to give it issue. I was a little nervous about an obscured stop sign in a rural town I drove though, the car did very well. Zero issues for me so that’s fantastic.

Reactions: Frunkenstein
Got the update and tried it out today.

A little disappointed considering the autonomy day features that were shown. Seems Like this would be easy an easy feature add .
Didn’t work Too well for me. But hey no other car does this. But now I think that autonomy day video was a little misleading

• Funny
Reactions: powertoold