Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mentioned this in the other 12.5 thread but got the update overnight and was able to test the viewer first thing when i got in the car. video was not jerky on my end. even when sliding the timeline back and forth to quickly scan the video. using a 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD .

Can you take a short 720p/1080p/60 video for YouTube to prove this? I’ve not seen any YouTube demos of this where the frame rate wasn’t bad.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
mentioned this in the other 12.5 thread but got the update overnight and was able to test the viewer first thing when i got in the car. video was not jerky on my end. even when sliding the timeline back and forth to quickly scan the video. using a 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD .

Yeah I have been wondering how much usb storage speed plays into viewing smoothness. It's pretty janky for me but my usb stick is ancient. Based on our respective experiences, it seems likely that it's a significant contributing factor.

Yeah I have been wondering how much usb storage speed plays into viewing smoothness. It's pretty janky for me but my usb stick is ancient. Based on our respective experiences, it seems likely that it's a significant contributing factor.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not. I’m using a 500GB NVMe drive and it’s jerky as heck (15-25fps variable, as a guess).

And to go out on another limb, I’ll say it’s likely some people just not being sensitive to frame-rate deficiencies.

Always happy to be proven wrong but not a single person has posted here or on YouTube a video of smooth playback.

So! Unless I’m missing something (which honestly would be great because video playback is still not great in Teslas in general - yes, I include Netflix etc because even that has frame-rate issues - more subtle but there), this is what you should expect, and if this is considered smooth to you I don’t know what to say! Not my video, by the way, but just an example.

Go to 50 seconds in.

Last edited:
Can you take a short 720p/1080p/60 video for YouTube to prove this? I’ve not seen any YouTube demos of this where the frame rate wasn’t bad.

I wonder how much of this is your own personal sensitivity to frame rates? Similar to how some people dont see "blooming" on LCD TVs, but I cant stand to watch ANY edge lit TV at all because I always see it, and it distracts me.

You have also been talking about frame rates for backup camera since you got your car, I think.... but I dont notice any issues on mine at all, either on HW2.5 which I had up until a couple weeks ago, or HW3 after upgrade. Granted, I havent driven much with HW3 but did reverse a to get out of parking lot at tesla, and have went to the grocery store a few times.

I am not saying "there isnt a problem"... I am just wondering if your eyes happen to be more sensitive to video frame rate, either "just because" or because you do something for a living that makes you study video or something.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not. I’m using a 500GB NVMe drive and it’s jerky as heck (15-25fps variable, as a guess).

And to go out on another limb, I’ll say it’s likely some people just not being sensitive to frame-rate deficiencies.

Always happy to be proven wrong but not a single person has posted here or on YouTube a video of smooth playback.

So! Unless I’m missing something (which honestly would be great because video playback is still not great in Teslas in general - yes, I include Netflix etc because even that has frame-rate issues - more subtle but there), this is what you should expect, and if this is considered smooth to you I don’t know what to say! Not my video, by the way, but just an example.

Go to 50 seconds in.

Its not "buttery smooth" but its MORE than acceptable, to me (this video), and I have zero issues with netflix in the car at all (that I perceive, anyway). I think that your eyes are more sensitive to this than mine (and maybe many others). Note, to be clear I am not saying YOU are being sensitive about it.. just that you can see things here that maybe others dont see as much. Trying to be crystal clear in what I am saying, because it would be easy for it to be taken as "you are just being sensitive" which is not at all what I am saying.

What?

Take away resources?

From who?

Who sets the criteria for calling Tesla when you buy something from them for $50k to $70k+ ?

Part of that $50k to $70k+ goes to pay the salaries of the people who Tesla hires to answer your questions.

Criteria to call Tesla:
Is there something wrong? In this case there is nothing wrong. Someone that is being impatient and thinks they are deserve to cut the line.

Should I have called Tesla everyday from July 30th 2017 until September 2018 asking where my car was?

I wonder how much of this is your own personal sensitivity to frame rates? Similar to how some people dont see "blooming" on LCD TVs, but I cant stand to watch ANY edge lit TV at all because I always see it, and it distracts me.

You have also been talking about frame rates for backup camera since you got your car, I think.... but I dont notice any issues on mine at all, either on HW2.5 which I had up until a couple weeks ago, or HW3 after upgrade. Granted, I havent driven much with HW3 but did reverse a to get out of parking lot at tesla, and have went to the grocery store a few times.

I am not saying "there isnt a problem"... I am just wondering if your eyes happen to be more sensitive to video frame rate, either "just because" or because you do something for a living that makes you study video or something.

I'm definitely very sensitive to frame rates in general - yes absolutely. That said, there are times where with HW3 the backup camera is very, very jittery. If you have any other car with a factory backup camera it's likely a very smooth 60fps. Drive at night with street lights and the backup camera open while you're driving and you'll see for some reason the HW3 backup camera feed is less smooth in these situations, or any situations with "lots of things" going on in the feed. I wonder if it's somehow related to processing power being taken away as the cameras process more involved environments. Again, guessing here.

Its not "buttery smooth" but its MORE than acceptable, to me (this video), and I have zero issues with netflix in the car at all (that I perceive, anyway). I think that your eyes are more sensitive to this than mine (and maybe many others). Note, to be clear I am not saying YOU are being sensitive about it.. just that you can see things here that maybe others dont see as much. Trying to be crystal clear in what I am saying, because it would be easy for it to be taken as "you are just being sensitive" which is not at all what I am saying.

No worries, and no offense taken. The dash/sentry viewer frame rate is certainly "acceptable" in that it works. But compared to my complaints about the HW3 backup camera frame rate this is another league of bad. It's plain and very noticeably bad. It's acceptably bad, mind you - but it's still bad! :D I will say that it's unusually bad in that most things Tesla in terms of smoothness are quite good in the Model 3. After quitting the viewer app and going back to the navigation map and dragging and panning and zooming that, the frame-rate difference between the two is quite stark. Now this isn't a fair comparison as the the map UI is designed to target (it's not consistent, but cit certainly targets) 60fps. I believe the feeds from these camera are saved around 22 or 23fps to your memory cards/SSDs etc, - a slightly peculiar frame rate as I recall.

Now, Tesla has historically increased smoothness on some UI elements. For example, the trash bin rendering in FSD preview is now targeting 60fps since one of the latest updates (2020.12.1 I believe). Before this it was hovering around 20-30fps. So we may see improvements for the video viewer. It's quite clear that the interface and lack of fine-tuned scrubbing in the camera viewer is indicative of a first release, - not to mention the frame-rate issues again.

Here in Mississippi, we tend to get updates pretty late. I am an M3 EAP which I took delivery of in August 2018. Just this afternoon I was notified of 2020.12.5 available which is being installed as I type. Can't wait to see construction cones & the Tesla Cam viewer! Any one have a clue as to when those of us with an earlier M3 and FSD will get a hardware upgrade? I still expect to be pretty near the end and the current pandemic isn't helping that any, but I'm anxiously waiting!

Here we go again.... feature thrown in that doesn't work properly. Anyone who tests the software before fleet release is a very bad tester, feedback and no one has the balls to say hold this. Lets release it when its working at an acceptable level. So roll on months of more bad reputation talk. Cool new feature but not good enough to be released on a Tesla. Movie playback can be done smooth on a micro pc worth £80.

Standards are low....

Here we go again.... feature thrown in that doesn't work properly. Anyone who tests the software before fleet release is a very bad tester, feedback and no one has the balls to say hold this. Lets release it when its working at an acceptable level. So roll on months of more bad reputation talk. Cool new feature but not good enough to be released on a Tesla. Movie playback can be done smooth on a micro pc worth £80.

Standards are low....

"plays back ok" is infinitely better than the previous version of "plays back not at all"

What?

Take away resources?

From who?

Who sets the criteria for calling Tesla when you buy something from them for $50k to $70k+ ?

Part of that $50k to $70k+ goes to pay the salaries of the people who Tesla hires to answer your questions.

Thats like going to McDonald's, no wait, let's say Shake Shack (more expensive) and packing your to-go bag full of napkins. You paid more, you deserve it :p lol

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Criteria to call Tesla:
Is there something wrong? In this case there is nothing wrong. Someone that is being impatient and thinks they are deserve to cut the line.

Should I have called Tesla everyday from July 30th 2017 until September 2018 asking where my car was?

There is no line for updates.

Do you know of a line?

Point = Call Tesla whenever you like - for whatever you like.

If you want to call them to tell them they are doing a good job. Call
If you want to call them to tell them they are doing a bad job. Call
If you have an issue with your car. Call
If you have an issue with updates. Call
If you have any issues or praises. Call

You paid for that benefit.

As I told my kids over and over and over. If you don't know something - ask someone... don't sit around being confused.

Here in Mississippi, we tend to get updates pretty late. I am an M3 EAP which I took delivery of in August 2018. Just this afternoon I was notified of 2020.12.5 available which is being installed as I type. Can't wait to see construction cones & the Tesla Cam viewer! Any one have a clue as to when those of us with an earlier M3 and FSD will get a hardware upgrade? I still expect to be pretty near the end and the current pandemic isn't helping that any, but I'm anxiously waiting!

From other threads that address your question (e.g. MASTER THREAD: Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues) there are short supplies of FSD computers at the moment, so it might be a little while longer.

Back on topic: glad to hear you got 2020.12.5 on your vehicle. According to TeslaFi, about 25% of Model 3 owners upgraded to this version and about a third for all vehicles.

I'm surprised I haven't received it yet, given my location and the fact that I usually get updates within a day or two of the first rollout. I do have my software settings to advanced (if that even does anything) and am on WiFi in my garage almost 24 hours/day these days, so not sure why the difference this time.