Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tried this a zillion times with different brands. They all work for 15 minutes and it says disk fulll afterwards. I check usb afterwards and it only 3gb full on a 64 gb usb. Also everything is now read only on the usb. I then change it to write and put it back in and works again for 15 minutes and does the same thing. Only happen after 2020.8.1. Since then i have 2020.8.1.1 and now im on 2020.8.2 tested as well.

Your Dash Cam issue (detailed here : Dash Cam Error - Says Drive is full but it's nearly empty? )will be resolved with 2020.12.5. However, the update breaks USB Music storage/playing.

Cheers,

J

Wasn't that confusing to me. I read it to mean that there are 8 stalls available,1 broken and 3 in use (totaling the 12 at that location) but maybe I'm making an assumption that shouldn't be made.

Are you sure about this? Like someone else who posted previously, I interpreted it to mean that there were 8 unused stalls available, but that 1 was broken, and that 4 stalls were being used. Has anyone actually verified the correct interpretation, or are we all just guessing at this point?

To address another point in this thread, I have a Dec 2016 Model S, 90D, and after the 2020.12.5 update I also lost the functionality with my USB stick drive that had music only on it. The USB icon on the monitor no longer appears. Not having seen this thread until today, I called Tesla "support" yesterday, and the person answering did not seem to know about this issue and said that Tesla would get back to me about it.

Are you sure about this? Like someone else who posted previously, I interpreted it to mean that there were 8 unused stalls available, but that 1 was broken, and that 4 stalls were being used. Has anyone actually verified the correct interpretation, or are we all just guessing at this point?

To address another point in this thread, I have a Dec 2016 Model S, 90D, and after the 2020.12.5 update I also lost the functionality with my USB stick drive that had music only on it. The USB icon on the monitor no longer appears. Not having seen this thread until today, I called Tesla "support" yesterday, and the person answering did not seem to know about this issue and said that Tesla would get back to me about it.
The Nashville SuperCharger currently shows 4 of 8 available. This is because (all Tesla owners in Nashville know) that 4 of the stalls are inoperable. If someone starts charging, it will then show 3 of 8 available. There are 8 stalls there. Right now only 4 work and those 4 are available.

• Informative
Reactions: drklain
The Nashville SuperCharger currently shows 4 of 8 available. This is because (all Tesla owners in Nashville know) that 4 of the stalls are inoperable. If someone starts charging, it will then show 3 of 8 available. There are 8 stalls there. Right now only 4 work and those 4 are available.

So essentially what you are saying is that the number of "available" stalls are all operable, no matter how many other stalls at the site are inoperable. Okay, I just wanted clarification.

Here is something that just popped up early this morning. I am driving a Dec 2016 MX with HW 2.0 MCU1 and FSD. Firmware version is 12.5. It was about 6am and I was on a city street on AP approaching a traffic signal that had just turned yellow. Since I was so close to the light and there was no surrounding traffic I felt I could make it through the light before it turned red. A few seconds before I hit the intersection I received the red hands of death in the IC warning me of potential danger ahead. The interesting part was that just to the left of the red hands indicator appeared a traffic signal image with the red light lit. I have never seen that before. I don’t know if is just normal for AP2.0 cars under this circumstance but something tells me that the car noticed the traffic signal and identified it as such. Knowing where my car is in the technology progression at this time I was completely caught off-guard. Comments anyone?

Here is something that just popped up early this morning. I am driving a Dec 2016 MX with HW 2.0 MCU1 and FSD. Firmware version is 12.5. It was about 6am and I was on a city street on AP approaching a traffic signal that had just turned yellow. Since I was so close to the light and there was no surrounding traffic I felt I could make it through the light before it turned red. A few seconds before I hit the intersection I received the red hands of death in the IC warning me of potential danger ahead. The interesting part was that just to the left of the red hands indicator appeared a traffic signal image with the red light lit. I have never seen that before. I don’t know if is just normal for AP2.0 cars under this circumstance but something tells me that the car noticed the traffic signal and identified it as such. Knowing where my car is in the technology progression at this time I was completely caught off-guard. Comments anyone?
Yes, I've experienced the same - red steering wheel warning when signal light is yellow. Driving a Dec 2016 MS with HW 2.0 MCU1 and FSD. I thought it was great to have another step toward FSD.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, I've experienced the same - red steering wheel warning when signal light is yellow. Driving a Dec 2016 MS with HW 2.0 MCU1 and FSD. I thought it was great to have another step toward FSD.
But did it also show the traffic light symbol? It appeared and disappeared with the red hands warning so it is here and then gone with the red hands warning. If you don’t look quick you won’t see it as the red hands is the dominant visual.

What is the entertainment icon? I tried putting my USB thumb drive into my port again, and still no USB icon on the monitor, so I still can't play my music on the thumb drive.
The entertainment icon is for the video games in the MCU. It was missing when I first downloaded 2020.12.5. It was missing for several days but it is now there in the header bar. I am still missing the USB icon.

I asked my local ranger about this, lots of owners have been asking about this and tesla is aware however they have said nothing about if they disabled USB drives intentionally or not, hopefully they turn it back on before I am commuting again and not just taken another feature away again.

I too am missing the USB audio functionality. Is there any way to downgrade back to previous software until Tesla fixes this bug? Seems like it would be nice for them to include a rollback option for software updates in the future just for situations like this! Had I known this bug existed I would have stayed with the previous version until this was worked out.

I asked my local ranger about this, lots of owners have been asking about this and tesla is aware however they have said nothing about if they disabled USB drives intentionally or not, hopefully they turn it back on before I am commuting again and not just taken another feature away again.
This type of response from Tesla is typical. I think the reason could be:
1. Tesla screwed the pooch and doesn’t want to admit to said forced canine copulation.
2. The use of a USB drive has been discovered as a potential rooting method or malware vector and is not going to disclose the details even after the vuln is eliminated.
3. Tesla has deliberately stopped allowing USB music and will try to force use of streaming, possibly charging monthly by GB used for new cars and used sold after such an announcement.

Personally, I hope it was just another added to a long line of angry and/or confused dogs.

Friend of mine has a 2017 MS and he also reported losing access to USB Music.

Found the fix!!

(Well, it fixed the issue for me: 2020 MS LR+; I understand that some older MCUs may have different/additional issues)

I discovered, largely by accident with a few "test" thumb drives: whatever drive you have the "TeslaCam" folder in the root directory *must* be FAT32, as we know... and it will ignore any music on that same drive.

I put an additional thumb drive in (FAT32), the USB icon promptly appeared, and it read the music off that stick just fine. Now suspicious, I temporarily renamed the dash cam folder to "_TeslaCam"--the dash cam went away, and the USB icon appeared, with normal access to all music on that same drive (the exact stuff it "couldn't see" after the 2020.12.5 update).

Played around with a few options. Turns out it's happy as long as there are separate partitions/volumes involved. I'm now using the same physical thumb drive I had been using, re-partitioned to have a ~40GB volume for the music (and, it's perfectly happy with the exFAT format for the music, so I left it like that) and a ~210GB volume for the dash cam (FAT32 required).

Annoying (and pointless?) issue, but--not a terribly painful workaround, and should only have to be done once.

Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Found the fix!!

(Well, it fixed the issue for me: 2020 MS LR+; I understand that some older MCUs may have different/additional issues)

I discovered, largely by accident with a few "test" thumb drives: whatever drive you have the "TeslaCam" folder in the root directory *must* be FAT32, as we know... and it will ignore any music on that same drive.

I put an additional thumb drive in (FAT32), the USB icon promptly appeared, and it read the music off that stick just fine. Now suspicious, I temporarily renamed the dash cam folder to "_TeslaCam"--the dash cam went away, and the USB icon appeared, with normal access to all music on that same drive (the exact stuff it "couldn't see" after the 2020.12.5 update).

Played around with a few options. Turns out it's happy as long as there are separate partitions/volumes involved. I'm now using the same physical thumb drive I had been using, re-partitioned to have a ~40GB volume for the music (and, it's perfectly happy with the exFAT format for the music, so I left it like that) and a ~210GB volume for the dash cam (FAT32 required).

Annoying (and pointless?) issue, but--not a terribly painful workaround, and should only have to be done once.

Hope this helps!

I never had a "TeslaCam" folder or partition on my thumb drive, only one partition containing my music. It is formatted in FAT32, and I lost my music after the aforementioned update. I have a Dec 2016 Model S, so I probably have an "older" MCU.