Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.16 rolling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I am not thinking of exFAT. I am referring to EXT4, the journaled Linux filesystem. It is working successfully in 2020.8.3 in my M3, after some initial permissions oddity (you have to set the TeslaCam folder owner to "1984", another easter egg!)... however it was noticed on Reddit that this unannounced support was then broken in 2020.12. As a result I have held off upgrading beyond 2020.8.3 since I would prefer to use a journaled filesystem to avoid corruption.

Just checked, nope, still borked. I tried ext4 and ext3. fat32 still works, but with the known issues (filesystem goes kaput after a few weeks).
And yes, I chowned the directory to 1984 and also tried chmod 777 and all that.

Also, the "format USB" button never turned solid for me.

Not sure I'd describe that as a 'known issue', I've been using FAT32" since the feature came out and my SD card is still working just fine.

So you have no recordings that are garbled? No files that are 0 bytes in size? I've been using everything from SSDs to USB sticks and SD cards. I've tried about 50 different types and brands, and they all behave the same and I know it's the Model 3 basically hosing the filesystem, it's not the media itself.

Also, I've had a friend tell me he never had any problems, I took a look at his SSD and saw the same problems, which made him go "Oh yeah that happens sometimes".

So excuse me if I say: I don't believe you - unless you're on HW3, which may behave differently. I'm on 2.5.

I've still not got the update :( has anyone without FSD has the update yet? I'm feeling left out looking at the numbers on teslafi o_O
Got my update last night on my basic SR+. Had one Sentrymode flag up whilst parked up at B+Q which recorded and played back.
I can see the Format button but it is greyed out. Not looked yet how to ungrey it but don't need it anyway.
Maybe only works on unformatted memory.

So you have no recordings that are garbled? No files that are 0 bytes in size? I've been using everything from SSDs to USB sticks and SD cards. I've tried about 50 different types and brands, and they all behave the same and I know it's the Model 3 basically hosing the filesystem, it's not the media itself.

Also, I've had a friend tell me he never had any problems, I took a look at his SSD and saw the same problems, which made him go "Oh yeah that happens sometimes".

So excuse me if I say: I don't believe you - unless you're on HW3, which may behave differently. I'm on 2.5.

Well I guess if you've somehow managed to get HW2.5 on a UK spec model 3 then you've really not been having much luck lately... :)

I have a Model S, HW2.5 and I just pulled the SD card from my car and reviewed the past 3 months sentry files and saved clips. No zero length files and all the ones I reviewed were not garbled.

Excuse me if I didn't watch each and every file as there are rather a lot of them...

Back in the early days when the feature was first released I used to see occasional files that were partially obscured by video interference, but that looked more like a poor recording problem, not a file system problem, but those issues went away in one of the updates some time ago.

The other change I made months ago was to switch to an 'Endurance' spec SD card made for this sort of work.

So honestly it doesn't matter if you believe me or not, on my Model S, HW2.5 with the Endurance SD card I do not see the problems you are claiming to be 'known'.