Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.16 rolling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOTE TO ALL - I also noticed this after the update as i saw this message above and thought to check, so if you have yours off like i did, it for some reason has turned back on after update.

Yes, me too on that one. I happened to be beside the car and heard the fans going and remembered I had read of someone finding that the cabin overheat was on as default setting after the update... sure enough on checking the setting it was on.

NOTE TO ALL - I also noticed this after the update as i saw this message above and thought to check, so if you have yours off like i did, it for some reason has turned back on after update.

Yes, me too on that one. I happened to be beside the car and heard the fans going and remembered I had read of someone finding that the cabin overheat was on as default setting after the update... sure enough on checking the setting it was on.
Curious why you both (and others) wouldn’t want this setting on? The car gets very hot inside in this weather.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Curious why you both (and others) wouldn’t want this setting on? The car gets very hot inside in this weather.

The car hasn't been too hot until the last few days here. My car can sit with its windows vented without security concerns so there's been no need to specifically use the overheat protection. I would consider using it if the windows had to be closed but so far the need hasn't arisen. When on holiday in hot countries I am used to having cars that got so hot you couldn't get in them for a few minutes ... cars get hot and I tend to think that if Teslas were any different in their ability to cope with high temperatures we might have heard by now! There's nowhere in the UK that matches summer temps in many states in the USA so I'm reckoning tesla have experience with this factor.

I got the update late last night (around midnight). I was trying to settle the little one and had just brought her in to our bed when the room lit up. I thought, what the hell is this and who's outside. When I looked out the window, my M3P had the headlights on which is what was causing the room to light up. They then went off again and came back on about 10 seconds later for 5 seconds, then stopped. IT didn't happen again.

Maybe a naive question but I haven't read the entire manual. Is that normal during a software update? Every other one I have done was during the day so haven't ever noticed.

I got the update late last night (around midnight). I was trying to settle the little one and had just brought her in to our bed when the room lit up. I thought, what the hell is this and who's outside. When I looked out the window, my M3P had the headlights on which is what was causing the room to light up. They then went off again and came back on about 10 seconds later for 5 seconds, then stopped. IT didn't happen again.

Maybe a naive question but I haven't read the entire manual. Is that normal during a software update? Every other one I have done was during the day so haven't ever noticed.
Yes, completely normal :)

The car hasn't been too hot until the last few days here. My car can sit with its windows vented without security concerns so there's been no need to specifically use the overheat protection. I would consider using it if the windows had to be closed but so far the need hasn't arisen. When on holiday in hot countries I am used to having cars that got so hot you couldn't get in them for a few minutes ... cars get hot and I tend to think that if Teslas were any different in their ability to cope with high temperatures we might have heard by now! There's nowhere in the UK that matches summer temps in many states in the USA so I'm reckoning tesla have experience with this factor.
there are plenty of reports of tesla screens yellowing in hot countries, and that's S/X which don't have as much glass and exposed screens.
Normally in the UK I wouldn't think the sun would be an issue, but the model 3 is like a greenhouse. Inside temp in my leaf was low 40's, inside temp of my model 3 was 52, and this is just on a sunny day in the UK. Heat reduces component life, so why would you not want the default to be to kick the fans in (not the air con, just the fans) if the temp rises above 40. I agree that venting is an ok solution that doesn't need the car to wake or fans to run, but that's manual and I have to raise and drop the windows myself. There's also the issue that if the windows detect any resistance (and pillarless windows cause just this) then the window in question drops back down. I've had it many times where I've clicked the vent button to put the windows back up and come out to find one window still down, despite the car not being in vent mode.

Reactions: Durzel
I don't want to vent the windows purely because it'll mean the inside will get covered in the same crap as sits on the paint. After just a couple of days post washing my car is covered in a film of dust and detritus.

Interested to know if having just the fans on to cool the car makes much of a difference compared to A/C as well.

Reactions: Joelly
With reference to cabin overheat auto set to on (no A/C) I think this is really interesting. Previously this wasn’t possible to have on whilst sentry mode was selected. They have no amended that and set default to on, suggesting that there might be a benefit to having it on.

Overheat working brilliantly now. Yesterday and today reaching 36C maximum with just the fan and windows on vent. Last week it was over 50C with windows vented. Only reached 38C with windows closed.
Also running today over 12 hours after last being driven so hope the overheat works like Sentrymode and only stops as the battery goes low.

Reactions: Durzel
cars get hot and I tend to think that if Teslas were any different in their ability to cope with high temperatures we might have heard by now! There's nowhere in the UK that matches summer temps in many states in the USA so I'm reckoning tesla have experience with this factor.

Really? It took a few years for the yellow band on S and X cars to become apparent. I do not wish to call on Tesla's non lifetime warranty if the display craps out because of heat stroke as it is in full sunlight.
You wouldn't leave a moby in the sun and expect it to survive so the Tesla display with the same type of chips and electrolytic capacitors that do not like heat will eventually fail unless they have some extremely efficient insulation in there but I doubt it.
Military standard components could be in there but again I very much doubt it.

Overheat working brilliantly now. Yesterday and today reaching 36C maximum with just the fan and windows on vent. Last week it was over 50C with windows vented. Only reached 38C with windows closed.
Also running today over 12 hours after last being driven so hope the overheat works like Sentrymode and only stops as the battery goes low.
Surprised to hear you say that. Mine slept for a solid 21 hours after previously having woken up 4 times the previous day to cool down. I ended up waking it up manually and when I did it told me that the internal temperature was 42C, and it hadn't done anything about it at that point.

When I got in the car to check the setting it was still enabled, but I had assumed since 12 hours had passed that it stopped working.

After I'd woken up the car it then woke up a further 2 times, presumably to cool down, suggesting that waking the car up (maybe as well as unlocking it?) reactivates the setting.

Can you confirm that you didn't touch your car at all - didn't unlock or wake it up manually in the time it has been waking itself up to kick the fans in?

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 13.51.35.png

As a test today I unlocked and locked the car, without getting in or doing anything else, to see if unlocking/locking counts as a reset of the 12 hours.

Since the update, I have violent braking issues when traffic aware cruise control is on and you intervene by putting your foot on the accelerator. I often do this to avoid the car slowing down past parked cars. When you lift your foot off now, and your a bit close to the car in front, instead of the gentle slow down we had it slams on the brakes with a large clack sound coming from the master cylinder!!! Anyone else having this issue?