Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great and useful thread - hoping there’s a delivery end of July to UK - I see others mentioning they had their VINs already - do these normally appear in your account once the cars onboard a ship?

Correct me if I'm wrong but those with VINS are getting delivery now or at least by next Tuesday. At the moment, I am not expecting a ship to arrive in Southampton until early August.

Reactions: Mark S and Roy W.
As forecasted yesterday , the GLOVIS SUN has returned to its anchorage in San Francisco Bay.
It's due to load at Pier 80 on 13 July.
That's a long time at anchor.
It's very unusual for a ship like this to hang around waiting for this amount of time for its load. (Bear in mind it's been waiting since 3 Jun)
Late last month this ship was still showing as scheduled for a run to S America but that got abruptly cancelled and it moved up to San Francisco and will end up waiting for over 6 weeks. In April there were a number of ships kicking their heels 'awaiting orders' and lots of ships heading empty for the Far East which was still operating normally while most of the rest of the globe was in lockdown. When the western car factories restarted production a lot of car carriers were out of position with a large concentration hanging around S Korea. That imbalance was rectified within weeks but the global distribution is still not 100% 'pre-Covid'. So a car carrier in US waters would have been highly desirable at the beginning of June but mid July? What is also clear is that another ship is likely to load at Pier 80 on 7 July before the GLOVIS SUN.
Someone is paying for the ship to wait and that will not be cheap. Is this a new contractural requirement from Tesla - a ship on standby? There has to be a reason for it, but I can't think of it at the moment. Answers on a postcard please.

Could it be hedging in case Freemont has worker availability issues / state rules in a state of flux over COVID - hence Tesla logistics thinking it’s worth the cost to make sure a full ship departs on a fixed date ? They really can’t afford another quarter like the last one at a guess - but with no knowledge of the shipping industry it does even an expensive way of guaranteeing a slot.

Maybe Glovis booking managers don’t have a better offer right now ?

Could it be hedging in case Freemont has worker availability issues / state rules in a state of flux over COVID - hence Tesla logistics thinking it’s worth the cost to make sure a full ship departs on a fixed date ? They really can’t afford another quarter like the last one at a guess - but with no knowledge of the shipping industry it does even an expensive way of guaranteeing a slot.

Maybe Glovis booking managers don’t have a better offer right now ?

Had information from a reliable source RHD in full production at Freemont, so cars will not be an issue. California like many other states in the south have seen rises in Covid 19 cases but then again testing has been increased four fold.
As forecasted yesterday , the GLOVIS SUN has returned to its anchorage in San Francisco Bay.
It's due to load at Pier 80 on 13 July.
That's a long time at anchor.
It's very unusual for a ship like this to hang around waiting for this amount of time for its load. (Bear in mind it's been waiting since 3 Jun)
Late last month this ship was still showing as scheduled for a run to S America but that got abruptly cancelled and it moved up to San Francisco and will end up waiting for over 6 weeks. In April there were a number of ships kicking their heels 'awaiting orders' and lots of ships heading empty for the Far East which was still operating normally while most of the rest of the globe was in lockdown. When the western car factories restarted production a lot of car carriers were out of position with a large concentration hanging around S Korea. That imbalance was rectified within weeks but the global distribution is still not 100% 'pre-Covid'. So a car carrier in US waters would have been highly desirable at the beginning of June but mid July? What is also clear is that another ship is likely to load at Pier 80 on 7 July before the GLOVIS SUN.
Someone is paying for the ship to wait and that will not be cheap. Is this a new contractural requirement from Tesla - a ship on standby? There has to be a reason for it, but I can't think of it at the moment. Answers on a postcard please.

Perhaps Tesla wanting a big Q3?

I see the latest San Francisco Port Schedule has been published which confirms that a ship is to load on 7 July.
The health warning is that this schedule is not always accurate especially with placeholder entries such as this, however on this occasion it looks about right.

Significantly it hasn't named the ship as being the GLOVIS SUN, which strengthens my source info that it's not due to load until 13 July, despite being anchored in the harbour.

PS You can ignore the STENA SUNRISE mentioned on the schedule since it's an oil tanker.