Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.24.28 Rolling out to MCU1/FSD MS/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS with MCU1/FSD

First significant firmware update in over a year!

Old firmware 2020.48.37.8 (0.6% of TeslaFi Fleet AWT upgrade)
New firmware 2021.24.28 (0.4% of TeslaFi Fleet running this version)

Guessing no FSD Beta access but I'm 6 months closer than 2020.48. Lol.

1644965828566.png

I h

No doubt.

Tesla still won’t replace my faulty eMMC. They acknowledge that I have a problem (as I have to reset screen occasionally due to glitches), but have been telling me they don’t have the part available—since the recall began. They say don’t worry about it since I can still drive the car.

I think nearly a year is more than "reasonable time" to fix the eMMC VCM Daughterboard recall. Send a screenshot of this in your service request.

1645034747274.png

No doubt.

Tesla still won’t replace my faulty eMMC. They acknowledge that I have a problem (as I have to reset screen occasionally due to glitches), but have been telling me they don’t have the part available—since the recall began. They say don’t worry about it since I can still drive the car.
I was prepared for that too when I took it in for the frunk latch recall and asked if they could replace the recalled eMMC at the same time. I was shocked when they said yes.

This is eMMC replacement #2. They had trouble burning the latest firmware into it and I have had intermittent display problems that I never experienced before.

I’m anxious about installing the latest update because I’m not convinced the new eMMC is stable. Has anyone pursued a “lemon law” claim about these “defective” 8GB eMMC?

Reactions: Wanderer
Mine is definitely quicker overall. Snappier would be the better word.
Perhaps mine was just really slow or gummed up before but it's different now. Before anyone asks I full reboot every few months, clear the trip data and nav stuff all the time.
My browser used to take 30 seconds or so to react, now its under 10. Long nav plots sometimes would still be calculating while I was driving, now it's done before I leave the driveway. My voice assist usually needed 1-2 tries to work at all and today it was first try across the board.

Maybe I had a crummy previous software load or something that was resolved by a fresh build. Not saying it's MCU2 fast... but for me it's definitely an improvement on the things that annoyed me previously.

Maybe they rolled out this update:

If this guy is so good and he came through with a working version, maybe all of us with MCU1 will see better performance. 🤞
It is a 1.5GB download my car just got so there must be something in it.
I got excited by the image of album cover art on an MCU1. Then I realized it was just a streaming service, not the USB. If he really wanted to be a hero of our group, bringing that back would give him HoF honors.

I’ve been holding off on the MCU2 upgrade forever in hopes they would do it since it’s probably required for my paid FSD.

But I caved and booked an appointment yesterday. Tesla is so busy trying to do everything (cybertruck, roadster, semi, new factories, chip shortage, etc.) I think a free upgrade is probably still a year or two away. Eventually I do think it’ll happen for MCU1 owner holdouts though.

I’m the meantime, I got notice of this update and am installing it now.

Received update to 2021.24.28 this AM, on 2017 MS with MCU 1. Release notes show 1. Minor Cold Weather Improvements and Bug Fixes., 2. New language support., 3. Dashcam Improvements., 4. Remain connected to Wifi in Drive., and 5. New language support. Have not driven yet, but in the garage, the browser actually worked, albeit slow. First time it's opened a website in 8 months.

Related, has anyone paid for the infotainment upgrade to the MCU 2? If so, what is the experience? Is it worth the money?

Downloading on my '16 Model X right now.

Hoping the "cold weather" improvements are related to preconditioning and cabin temp management!
Also hope the so-called "improvements" do not degrade charging times. I seem to recall some cars had their charging speeds in cold conditions reduced recently, but do not recall the circumstances. I am not eager to install firmware that makes it worse. Might wait a day or three to see what others report....if i can stall it.

Still on mcu1 and do not expect any miracles with this update as hardware one has always had latency under the original autopilot software and it is clear this proc is not powerful/fast enough to respond to many sudden incidents. 2015 Model S 70D
does great for what it is. For what we paid for AP and with the hardware limitations, can't really complain. Love the updates and the grandfathered features. Free supercharging and 4G service.

Well, this at least tells us that 2021 builds are no more broken on MCU1 than 2019 and 2020 builds have been. I guess that's something....

It's worth noting that according to:

Safety Score Beta

every version after 2021.24.25 on Tegra vehicles has safety score support. So there's at least a slim chance that Tesla will flip a flag and enable the button for requesting FSD beta on this build. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
Just installed on my '14 P85D with MCU1. Didn't see any major feature changes but to me it's WAY faster. Web browser actually opens, owners manual opens, UI seems much quicker. Plotted a 600 mile nav trip in less than 10 seconds. Huge improvement for a legacy system (at least so far).
Nice! This just installed on my 2017 75D Model X yesterday. I haven't had a chance to check it out (it completed later in the evening) but any UI speed increase would be awesome. I'm still on MCU1, but did get the free update to FSD HW2(3?) (ASSY.AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0). That HW update itself was a big increase in UI speed and if this update makes that even better. Can't wait to check it out.