Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.18.2 on new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went with a friend to pickup his new MY and upon arriving at home, it downloaded 2021.4.18.2 and then we proceeded to install. I'm guessing this is for the radarless MY? My MY is still on 2021.4.18
According to TeslaFi 2021.4.18.2 is on a very fast release pace. I just got it on my MX this afternoon. You may find it on your MY pretty quickly at this pace.

Reactions: petabb
I got this version on my 2020 Y today. I thought it was supposed to enable the driver monitoring with the camera but there is no mention in the rel notes like what I've seen other people show. It did, however, seem to go much longer without nagging to apply torque to the wheel but it did still ask at one point.

I got this version on my 2020 Y today. I thought it was supposed to enable the driver monitoring with the camera but there is no mention in the rel notes like what I've seen other people show. It did, however, seem to go much longer without nagging to apply torque to the wheel but it did still ask at one point.
Apparently DMS just for radarless cars.

I got the same update earlier, looking forward to trying it tomorrow across an intersection where 15.12 would panic and drop out 9 out of 10 times if there wasn’t a lead car directly ahead…

Apparently DMS just for radarless cars.

I got the same update earlier, looking forward to trying it tomorrow across an intersection where 15.12 would panic and drop out 9 out of 10 times if there wasn’t a lead car directly ahead…
Drives about the same overall as the previous vision-heavy build… dropped out of AP with a panic twice this morning in similar spots. Also does the same annoying thing where it will slow down before random intersections even though the light is green, it’s clear to go (green line on the screen), and there’s no apparent obstruction ahead. One had a pedestrian off to the side and the car seemed like it was ready to give him the right of way, but I couldn’t figure out the other times.

Drives about the same overall as the previous vision-heavy build… dropped out of AP with a panic twice this morning in similar spots. Also does the same annoying thing where it will slow down before random intersections even though the light is green, it’s clear to go (green line on the screen), and there’s no apparent obstruction ahead. One had a pedestrian off to the side and the car seemed like it was ready to give him the right of way, but I couldn’t figure out the other times.
Are you saying it drives like the 15.x branch? or it drives like autopilot always has? Do you have radar?

Are you saying it drives like the 15.x branch? or it drives like autopilot always has? Do you have radar?
Yeah, I have radar (2018 build). Drives the same as the 15.x branch I had before. I skipped 4.18 when it was pushed to my car. No changes in AP requirements like the radarless cars (no DMS in the release notes, no auto-on high beams requirement etc).

Reactions: jhn_ and momo3605
Yeah, I have radar (2018 build). Drives the same as the 15.x branch I had before. I skipped 4.18 when it was pushed to my car. No changes in AP requirements like the radarless cars (no DMS in the release notes, no auto-on high beams requirement etc).
Thanks! Sounds like this vision-heavy build is a regression in your opinion. But i'm glad no DMS and auto-on high beam requirement is there. If you were me, would you stick to the older autopilot or update to 18.2 if you want consistency

Kinda weird that the same build has two different builds of autopilot running on it
Perhaps you have a misunderstanding of how software works? There doesn't need to be "different builds of autopilot" but instead there can be one "build" with many configurations. For example, the same version of the software can be deployed to multiple Model S, X, 3, Y vehicles even though their screens are different and have different hardware. Based on the vehicle configuration, e.g., has seat warmers installed and purchased seat warmer upgrade, the software can change the interface to show seat warmer controls. Similarly, there can be a configuration of whether radar is installed to change the behavior of Autopilot as well as driver monitoring, etc.

I think maybe what you're getting at is that there are likely multiple neural networks packaged in a single software version where only one set is actively used for driving the vehicle, so the other set is "wasted" download. But most likely Tesla has configured vehicles with radar to use NN-with-radar to drive while NN-only-vision also runs in shadow mode for data collection, and the new vehicles without radar can't use NN-with-radar and must use NN-only-vision, so Tesla to be extra safe also adds additional restrictions, e.g., lower max speed, driver monitoring nags, longer follow distance.

But this is also nothing new as there have been plenty of "minor changes" updates especially since FSD beta, and while there were little user facing changes, most likely they contained updated neural networks to collect data to improve FSD beta.

Perhaps you have a misunderstanding of how software works? There doesn't need to be "different builds of autopilot" but instead there can be one "build" with many configurations. For example, the same version of the software can be deployed to multiple Model S, X, 3, Y vehicles even though their screens are different and have different hardware. Based on the vehicle configuration, e.g., has seat warmers installed and purchased seat warmer upgrade, the software can change the interface to show seat warmer controls. Similarly, there can be a configuration of whether radar is installed to change the behavior of Autopilot as well as driver monitoring, etc.

I think maybe what you're getting at is that there are likely multiple neural networks packaged in a single software version where only one set is actively used for driving the vehicle, so the other set is "wasted" download. But most likely Tesla has configured vehicles with radar to use NN-with-radar to drive while NN-only-vision also runs in shadow mode for data collection, and the new vehicles without radar can't use NN-with-radar and must use NN-only-vision, so Tesla to be extra safe also adds additional restrictions, e.g., lower max speed, driver monitoring nags, longer follow distance.

But this is also nothing new as there have been plenty of "minor changes" updates especially since FSD beta, and while there were little user facing changes, most likely they contained updated neural networks to collect data to improve FSD beta.

Yes sorry all that makes sense, what i was getting at was multiple NNs on the same release. So I guess maybe it's unclear, but do vehicles with radar either 1. continue driving using old NNs or 2. is it some new blend of Tesla Vision + radar i.e. new autopilot behavior we haven't seen before. We know it's not using pure Tesla VIsion, as it doesn't have the restrictions.

Reactions: Silicon Desert